Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:21 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times

Advertisements

[quote=cremebrulee;49234584]I have stated several times in my posts that Yes, the two women were wrong, and rude...and I wouldn't have done that myself. It isn't difficult to wrap your head around that....!

However, on a broader scope, which you seem to be unable to grasp, ( and I'm sorry for that) is the fact, that in this day and age, if you sat next to someone in a restaurant, who had a disturbing loud child and mustered up enough courage to say something to them, who had no contemplation of it, you might be met with an unpleasant experience.

now, like it or not, we all have a choice, and in this instance, most of us at least once in our lives have experienced the same situation...[/quote]

Did it happen to you? Did you politely tell someone how to raise their child, and you were met with an unpleasant experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
As a cautionary the same way, never assume the child or parent is trying to be rude or discourteous with noise. My baby is special needs, and has impaired hearing as well as a brain injury. He is also entering the talky phase, hence why I responded on this thread. A hearing impaired baby with a brain injury is just not going to process noise and stimuli the same way a neurotypical baby is - the entire family is not going to be shut ins in just because he might decide to start vocalizing and literally can't hear how loud he gets and someone else thinks we don't deserve to be in their public space.

The tired, lonely special needs mom wrangling a bunch of kids might benefit a lot more from some kind comments than judgement. You never know who is sitting next to you
I have considered this, b/c (and you must have missed my post about our autistic family member)

yes, indeed, some children as yours do have hearing imparements and special needs....but, that is not always the case....

Like I said before, I've been in movie theater where couples bring babies, and toddlers, and just the noise of it all must scare those tiny beings????? Let alone, they start to cry and ruin the movie for everyone else.

Look, it has become obvious, that there are several people posting in this thread who no matter what you say, obviously lack the ability to process the fact that there are times when others who are paying customers wish to go out just as much as the next person, to get away from it all, unwind and relax, both young and old alike, who honestly don't want to hear a crying child at the table next to them. A little fussy, a tad loud, is the norm...but....there is a point and time and place when it becomes disturbing.

I'm very sorry your child is impaired....and has had all these problems, and will most certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And thank you, b/c the next time I'm out to dinner, and a baby or toddler is carrying on, I will think about you...and consider.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I will keep hammering this. The baby was NOT screaming. I know how screams cut like a knife, but this baby was NOT screaming. You can say it a 100 times, but it's not true.

The baby was loud. Like everyone else in the restaurant. And I'll say it again...the manager identified who the problem was, and kicked them out.
Exactly. People are acting as if this was a crying upset baby whose parents just let him cry vs a happy, excitable baby who was in the process of discovering the sound of his own voice and the fact that he could make that voice very loud. Taking him outside really wouldn't have changed anything, because this wasn't a case where they baby needed to be soothed to quiet down. In this case, you try to shush and distract and get him interested in eating if possible, and then carry on and lather, rinse, repeat.

Not really that different from a crowd of adults having a raucous time with loud peals of laughter and shouts of amusement ringing out from time to time over the course of an evening.

But babies are an easy target, esp. because of parental amnesia and all the people who pull out the BS "my baby never made noise in public" line. Because we all know that's not true no matter what someone claims years after the fact. Babies make noise, period. Sometimes they are sad, sometimes they are happy but either way, they are noisy.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

It is a total lack of consideration for the private space of others....
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:43 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
emm74

But babies are an easy target, esp. because of parental amnesia and all the people who pull out the BS "my baby never made noise in public" line. Because we all know that's not true no matter what someone claims years after the fact. Babies make noise, period. Sometimes they are sad, sometimes they are happy but either way, they are noisy.
No one here has claimed or even remotely suggested that their babies never made any noise or were not noisy.

and why does this anger you so to the point of getting all defensive and suggesting people are saying things they have not even touched base on?

This is a discussion, only, believe what you will, its all good!

btw, I love the name emm or emma....

Old 08-18-2017, 09:04 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
yes, I know, and the sad part is,we all have to live together, it's horrible when their own parents allow them to do this. And they will raise their kids to do the same.

I feel very badly for you...I think I wrote earlier, that we had the same problem with a neighbor. But I will tell you this, the entire community got together and took them to court....we filed a complaint, and the judge could not believe that the entire neighborhood showed up. We were shocked...but the judge heard each and every one who was there talk...and she fined them. Finally they moved....but I know how this can effect your life in a very bad way.

I'm so sorry your experiencing this....can you call a neighborhood meeting and all file a complaint. But before You do, I would contact the court and find out just what your rights are...find out how you file the complaint, take a video of the incidents....take pictures, keep logs....if the whole neighborhood gets together on this and does it the legal way, then you might have a chance. But they all must participate.

See, people today fear saying anything...b/c kids like this who don't care might retaliate....and the thought of what they might do or could do, is frightening.

Oh, I moved out a year ago this month, so *I* don't have to deal with it anymore, but my parents do. And they won't do anything, because they are afraid of "retaliation," although I personally am not aware of that mentality existing in the Guyanese population. I know it does among the urban lower-income black population, and they have plenty of people in that group living around them as well, and you never know who knows who...

Thankfully, my present neighborhood is quiet. I don't think there are any kids on my street, because I never see any or hear any. I know I can have my windows open at night and not have to listen to what is literally "house" music...

Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I have considered this, b/c (and you must have missed my post about our autistic family member)

yes, indeed, some children as yours do have hearing imparements and special needs....but, that is not always the case....

Like I said before, I've been in movie theater where couples bring babies, and toddlers, and just the noise of it all must scare those tiny beings????? Let alone, they start to cry and ruin the movie for everyone else.

Look, it has become obvious, that there are several people posting in this thread who no matter what you say, obviously lack the ability to process the fact that there are times when others who are paying customers wish to go out just as much as the next person, to get away from it all, unwind and relax, both young and old alike, who honestly don't want to hear a crying child at the table next to them. A little fussy, a tad loud, is the norm...but....there is a point and time and place when it becomes disturbing.

I'm very sorry your child is impaired....and has had all these problems, and will most certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And thank you, b/c the next time I'm out to dinner, and a baby or toddler is carrying on, I will think about you...and consider.

Sure there are times.

But it wasn't this time, and you keep trying to inject imaginary scenarios into the facts of what actually happened.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner.

You're in crowded restaurant. WHAT private space? You want private space? Eat at home or reserve one of the private dining rooms. (If Texas Roadhouse even has one. I don't know.)

Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
I read this article, what's your take on this, who was in the wrong?

Texas Roadhouse diners leave spiteful note after Katie Leach's baby yelled | Daily Mail Online
Can I vote all of the above?

Mom should have taken that kid home.
Manager should have been more receptive and not totally taken the mom's side.
The two women were rude to leave the note.

In Diss court, all three entities are guilty.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:37 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
She recreated the letter? Where's the original version?
Why didn't the table asked to be moved? Why would they give her a note instead of saying something?
Sounds fishy.
What, you mean like, creating a public altercation? That would have been better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting