Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,150,883 times

Advertisements

Our older daughter threw fits sometimes, when she was 4 and 5. We took her out of a lot of places. We would give her a moment but would take her out if she didn't calm down quickly. We couldn't inflict her on a roomful of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 03:57 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Maybe the woman had MS, and was extremely sensitive to loud noise or some other kind of neurological disease?
Then Texas Roadhouse is not the right place for her regardless.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:09 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Newsflash: Mom in the restaurant: Not everybody loves your baby.

Diners should have a reasonable expectation do dine in peace and quiet.

If the baby is screaming, yelling or crying, it is up to the Mom (in this case) to take the child outside. The child is too young to know his screaming is disturbing others. It is now up to Mom to take on that responsibility and remove the child from the dining room to calm him down.

I had 3 kids. They didn't scream like that but her baby did. I would have removed them if they had and waited until they stopped yelling their heads off.

We had a table next to us with 3 kids and 4 adults. The kids trashed the table. The parents don't think they should clean up their childs mess? I wonder what their house looks like?

Just like cleaning their mess and controlling their screaming, it is up to the parents or whomever adult brought the 10 months old to the table, to take charge.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:09 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
It's not up to the 10-month old to control his actions. It's up to the parents to take the child outside so he doesn't disturb people.
This is exactly what I used to do with my first child who was colicky and cried a lot. I would never stay in the restaurant if he was carrying on but these days so many people feel entitled to do whatever they want wherever they want without considering anybody else's feelings.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
This restaurant prides itself on being voted the loudest restaurant. If adults are shouting to talk, babies can too.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:59 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
This restaurant prides itself on being voted the loudest restaurant. If adults are shouting to talk, babies can too.
This. Big hand clap for you.

There is also the issue that the restaurant doesn't want you to walk out with your baby before the bill is paid. Been there, done that, they don't like it.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
First of all, this is a two-year-old article. Secondly, as I did then, I got a kick out of the note "recreated for Facebook." And I thought she doth protest too much.

I'm not sure I'm buying "the hags" slapping down the note, then continuing the confrontation--which supposedly happened on their way out. Yet the manager (who prides himself on a noisy dining experience) supposedly told them to leave. Which is it?

When one table is creating the noise that this one evidently was, don't expect it to endear you to other diners. Jerry Springer isn't for everyone.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:17 PM

81 posts, read 64,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I completely agree. It would be helpful to know how much this baby screamed out. If it was 5 or so times during the meal, well, that's kids. If it was pretty continuous, then that's not acceptable. I was in Target the other day and there was this kid in a cart who screamed out pretty much continuously. The mom shrugged apologetically and said it's echoey in here. It was, too. I didn't care, but hey, I'm headed to the other part of the store away from that irritation. I'm not sure how I would have felt seated next to him for an entire meal at a restaurant.

I wonder what the manager actually did say to the 2 women. The article says "they were asked to leave after they finished their meal". I wonder if they were asked to leave and not handed a bill. "Thanks ladies for coming in, we're going to comp this because of your experience, but if you could leave when you're finished to avoid further confrontation it would be greatly appreciated". That's my guess. It would be good to hear from the women.

Funny you should mention it. I was at Target once, and there was constant yelling a few aisles down. It got closer, until I was right next to a child small enough to be sitting in the mother's cart.

I leaned toward him with a stern look, back to the mother, but said sweetly, "Is that you making that noise all by yourself? I could hear you clear on the other side of the store." He was old enough to understand, as was the mother -- maybe -- and I walked on, and didn't hear him anymore. Might have been coincidence, but I could finally concentrate on the shopping.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You go to a family restaurant, there are going to be kids and some will occasionally be screaming. I would have knocked out those geriatrics if they gave me a note like that.
Aaah. Another keyboard hero.

Where I live, assault on anyone over the age of 60 is a felony. Massachusetts. Chapter 265. Section 13K if you want to read the statute. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...265/Section13K

Old 08-17-2017, 06:35 PM

81 posts, read 64,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Oh, wah. Maybe you should have stopped with the apartment and the "stressful" jobs. Nobody ever told you that when you have a child, your life changes forever???? You don't come first anymore, your kid does, until the day they move out on their own.

This is one ideology that needs to be brought back - the kid doesn't go out into "society" until they are old enough to know how to behave themselves and not be a total PITA to other people. No screaming or tantrums, good table manners, be polite to other people, recognizing that if you want to play Romper Room you go outdoors .... My parents practiced that, their parents practiced it... it's too bad too many of my generation seems to be too stupid to raise up their kids in a sensible fashion. And it shows, big time.
Yep. If society should just put up with it, why teach children to develop a social conscience? It isn't MY job, and parents owe ME an atmosphere where I'm certainly not expected to put up with kids who should be screaming with a babysitter at home.

There have been restaurants with a no-kids-after-7 (or so) policy. One near me saw an increase in business after that went into effect.

"When I own a restaurant..."

Not that I could. The general public gets downright rude, unaware of the niceties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting