Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Can I vote all of the above?

Mom should have taken that kid home.
Manager should have been more receptive and not totally taken the mom's side.
The two women were rude to leave the note.

In Diss court, all three entities are guilty.
I agree with you.

The women could just as easily have quietly complained to management. Manager could have apologized and offered to comp them a dessert or move them to another table.

Mom should have taken the kid home, outside, something. I did that with my kids when they were young and too loud in a restaurant unless it was a restaurant exclusively for kids and all the kids were loud.

Manager just alienated everyone who doesn't have kids with his response. Not cool.

They were ALL wrong.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
As a cautionary the same way, never assume the child or parent is trying to be rude or discourteous with noise. My baby is special needs, and has impaired hearing as well as a brain injury. He is also entering the talky phase, hence why I responded on this thread. A hearing impaired baby with a brain injury is just not going to process noise and stimuli the same way a neurotypical baby is - the entire family is not going to be shut ins in just because he might decide to start vocalizing and literally can't hear how loud he gets and someone else thinks we don't deserve to be in their public space.

The tired, lonely special needs mom wrangling a bunch of kids might benefit a lot more from some kind comments than judgement. You never know who is sitting next to you
I *think* you're talking about an occasional loud vocalization as opposed to non-stop screaming.

So, in spite of your baby's special needs, I hope you're not saying you don't even try to calm and shush him if he's being out-of-control noisy. (I don't think that's what you're saying). To me there's a big difference between a parent who is trying to teach a child how to behave in public (despite some momentary mishaps) versus one who seems oblivious or who thinks it's perfectly fine for children to scream if it is "only" a place like Texas Roadhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If you have MS, and loud noises go right thru you, than Texas Roadhouse is NOT the place for you.

And everyone keeps saying the baby was screaming. That was not the case.

And just a reminder...those ladies got kicked out. The manager identified the problem, and kicked them out.
I have been to Texas Roadhouse many times and the loud noises are on a different level than many children's ear piercing screams. I am not talking of the crying as one may never notice it, it is what parents call the happy scream. It is really shrill, way above the noise level of the restaurant. I have a feeling this is the screaming this child was doing.

I was in a grocery store many years ago and this child was doing this type of screaming. I was younger so it didn't bother my ears but it could be heard all over the store. She was just getting her voice. I saw them at the check out and smiled and said very nicely as it didn't really bother me at the time "So it is you making all that noise". She got wide eyed and stopped screaming. Her mother looked at me and said "where were you a half hour ago". Poor mother. In the grocery store it wasn't bad, because you could just not be beside her, but in a restaurant sitting behind them not expecting some child to scream basically in their ear more than the once it takes for the parents to put a stop to it. On a plane, I feel for parents, because mostly the crying is on take off and landing and there is nothing a parent can do because if they are over 2 you aren't allowed to hold them which might comfort them and make the crying stop. Seems babies sleep a lot so they usually aren't a problem.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:

yes, you absolutely can, and your right, thank you!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sure there are times.

But it wasn't this time, and you keep trying to inject imaginary scenarios into the facts of what actually happened.
no what I keep doing is to project my experiences into it, which may be worse than what went on here.

I'm sharing my thoughts opinions and ideas, and think its safe to say, we agree to disagree.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I believe The Dissenter hit the jackpot here....

Great response, and settlement. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I *think* you're talking about an occasional loud vocalization as opposed to non-stop screaming.

So, in spite of your baby's special needs, I hope you're not saying you don't even try to calm and shush him if he's being out-of-control noisy. (I don't think that's what you're saying). To me there's a big difference between a parent who is trying to teach a child how to behave in public (despite some momentary mishaps) versus one who seems oblivious or who thinks it's perfectly fine for children to scream if it is "only" a place like Texas Roadhouse.
Reread my posts and you will see exactly what I saying. Nobody in the article indicated non stop screaming and neither did I. I specifically elucidated the differences that I think were being conflated on here.

And there is nothing in the article to suggest the child wasn't being shushed even with happy yelling. The exact opposite, in fact.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no what I keep doing is to project my experiences into it, which may be worse than what went on here.

Well then that's kinda unfair to post an article and ask for opinions, and then project stuff that applies only to you and not the people in the article and expect the discussion to go well. Is that not obvious?

There are all sorts of scenarios that could apply to any one of us that do NOT apply to the people in the actual story, but these are not germane and only create friction in a discussion.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
As follow up to the earlier discussion about special needs or extenuating circumstances:

I still remember the one and only time that I had an out of control crying child in public that I couldn't control, nor could I simply leave. My baby was sick, I had taken him to the doctor, diagnosed with an ear infection, stopped at the pharmacy on the way home to fill his prescription. Poor baby was wailing in pain, and of course there was a line at the drug store. I felt like I could feel the angry stares of everyone around me. I kept apologizing, explaining that he has an ear infection and I REALLY need to get this prescription filled right away. But I was mortified about the situation.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
As follow up to the earlier discussion about special needs or extenuating circumstances:

I still remember the one and only time that I had an out of control crying child in public that I couldn't control, nor could I simply leave. My baby was sick, I had taken him to the doctor, diagnosed with an ear infection, stopped at the pharmacy on the way home to fill his prescription. Poor baby was wailing in pain, and of course there was a line at the drug store. I felt like I could feel the angry stares of everyone around me. I kept apologizing, explaining that he has an ear infection and I REALLY need to get this prescription filled right away. But I was mortified about the situation.
I hope you could be gentle on yourself in that situation, it's so hard when you can't soothe the little ones! The angry stares were the problem, not your ill child. I mean...what sorts of people line up at a pharmacy and expect serenity?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting