Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
As follow up to the earlier discussion about special needs or extenuating circumstances:

I still remember the one and only time that I had an out of control crying child in public that I couldn't control, nor could I simply leave. My baby was sick, I had taken him to the doctor, diagnosed with an ear infection, stopped at the pharmacy on the way home to fill his prescription. Poor baby was wailing in pain, and of course there was a line at the drug store. I felt like I could feel the angry stares of everyone around me. I kept apologizing, explaining that he has an ear infection and I REALLY need to get this prescription filled right away. But I was mortified about the situation.
My guess is few people were actually feeling angry toward your child or you. Probably they were just watching, maybe wondering what was wrong with the baby, maybe wondering if you were in the Rx line directly related to the baby's crying, wondering if the baby might be contagious. Few people are hostile enough to glare at a sick child in pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

But babies are an easy target, esp. because of parental amnesia and all the people who pull out the BS "my baby never made noise in public" line. Because we all know that's not true no matter what someone claims years after the fact. Babies make noise, period. Sometimes they are sad, sometimes they are happy but either way, they are noisy.
Yup. Anyone who did this idiocy to my baby is going to get some choice words from me or my wife. And especially in a raucous, ear-splitting madhouse like Texas Roadhouse.

Newsflash: Babies are allowed to make noise just like everyone else, in a noisy setting.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no what I keep doing is to project my experiences into it, which may be worse than what went on here.

I'm sharing my thoughts opinions and ideas, and think its safe to say, we agree to disagree.

Well, I'm still waiting for those training videos on 6 month olds, and you've ignored me on that, so I'm thinking some of it IS imaginary.

And I asked you if you had ever actually been yelled at, cussed at, or had angry outbursts in your direction, at restaurants, and you haven't responded to that either.

Soooo...

Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What, you mean like, creating a public altercation? That would have been better?

They were looking for or expecting a public altercation. The middle aged woman slammed the note on their table, and then went and sat back down.

Surely they didn't think the young parents were just going to get up and meekly leave?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
I doubt that in a noisy venue full of other noisy people that a note was left just because it was a baby making normal baby noises.
In order to reach that level there had to have been something else to the story.
Either the women were major cranks, possible, but hey they picked a Texas Roadhouse so I can't imagine they thought it would be a quiet meal, or the baby was very disruptive. Considering the mom said she had been making attempts to quiet the child, I'm going to guess the level of noise coming from the baby was out of the ordinary, even for a Texas Roadhouse.
The note was rude any way you look at it, but lets not pretend that the baby was not yelling or screaming and being disruptive. C'mon even the mom admits that he was.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
They were looking for or expecting a public altercation. The middle aged woman slammed the note on their table, and then went and sat back down.

Surely they didn't think the young parents were just going to get up and meekly leave?
They avoided a shouting match. Instead, the couple with the baby called the manager, which is what the two women should have done, in the first place. That's not an "altercation". That's appropriate recourse.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They avoided a shouting match. Instead, the couple with the baby called the manager, which is what the two women should have done, in the first place. That's not an "altercation". That's appropriate recourse.

No, there were words between the young couple, and the older ladies. That's when the younger couple called the manager.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I doubt that in a noisy venue full of other noisy people that a note was left just because it was a baby making normal baby noises.
In order to reach that level there had to have been something else to the story.
Either the women were major cranks, possible, but hey they picked a Texas Roadhouse so I can't imagine they thought it would be a quiet meal, or the baby was very disruptive. Considering the mom said she had been making attempts to quiet the child, I'm going to guess the level of noise coming from the baby was out of the ordinary, even for a Texas Roadhouse.
The note was rude any way you look at it, but lets not pretend that the baby was not yelling or screaming and being disruptive. C'mon even the mom admits that he was.
I'd agree with you but I feel like I'm starting to see something more frequently where people go to a place and expect an experience grossly out of line with the commonly understood attributes of the place.

There was a recent thread, can't recall where, maybe the travel or one of the city/state sections about a family at a big resort. IIRC, not a super high end one, but a very decent, family oriented one. The place had and adult-only pool and a family pool. The parents said they were at the family pool and their kids were splashing around and having a good time, nothing out of line. According to them there were a couple clusters of old people, fully dressed (not poolside attire), shooting icy stares and flinching and grousing about. At the FAMILY pool. Makes no sense, unless these oldsters just like to get bothered...which I'm not ruling out.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'd agree with you but I feel like I'm starting to see something more frequently where people go to a place and expect an experience grossly out of line with the commonly understood attributes of the place.

There was a recent thread, can't recall where, maybe the travel or one of the city/state sections about a family at a big resort. IIRC, not a super high end one, but a very decent, family oriented one. The place had and adult-only pool and a family pool. The parents said they were at the family pool and their kids were splashing around and having a good time, nothing out of line. According to them there were a couple clusters of old people, fully dressed (not poolside attire), shooting icy stares and flinching and grousing about. At the FAMILY pool. Makes no sense, unless these oldsters just like to get bothered...which I'm not ruling out.
There's a wonderful park here with a river running through it, that was designated an off-leash dog park by the city. There was a family with a child, who clearly had a dog phobia. The child flinched and screamed out every time a dog ran by and the parents kept saying can you please come get your dog? Can you please control your dog? Um, no, we can't. People can be weird. It's not like the dogs were even approaching the child, just zooming around the park.

And yes, there were clear signs and doggie poop bag stations indicating this was an off-leash park.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
As a mother of 2 I have always tried to keep my kids noise to a minimum when in a restaurant. It's just common courtesy. With that said, kids will be kids and I never would bring my kids to a "nice" restaurant when they were small. If it's a McDonalds, Applebees', etc, I think kid noise is more acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting