Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times

Advertisements

I think i'm more mad at the article. This is the kind of journalism that pisses me off.

"Every mother knows it's essential to get out of the house from time to time in order to preserve her sanity, but one young mom said she was attacked for simply bringing her baby to a restaurant."

This mom was not attacked. Having someone slam a note down on your table does not constitute as an attack. It wasn't even a verbal attack because no insults were even given. It was nothing more than a statement left on a piece of paper. Also, she was not "attacked" for "simply bring her baby to a restaurant". She was 'attacked' because she could not control her child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,024,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What, you mean like, creating a public altercation? That would have been better?
It's going to create something anyway if they gave it to her while they were still dining. She's going to react to it.
The only time you can give it to her and not create a situation is on your way out.

I still call shenanigans.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
It's not up to the 10-month old to control his actions. It's up to the parents to take the child outside so he doesn't disturb people.
YAY! Only had to read 3 posts to find my answer! And you said it much better than I could, I'm sure!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There's a wonderful park here with a river running through it, that was designated an off-leash dog park by the city. There was a family with a child, who clearly had a dog phobia. The child flinched and screamed out every time a dog ran by and the parents kept saying can you please come get your dog? Can you please control your dog? Um, no, we can't. People can be weird. It's not like the dogs were even approaching the child, just zooming around the park.

And yes, there were clear signs and doggie poop bag stations indicating this was an off-leash park.
That's not just ludicrous, but borderline passive-agro.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:15 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Normally, I would agree with complaining about a baby screaming in a restaurant during dinner, but the couple of older women must have known this restaurant they chose wouldn't be quiet. On the contrary! Below is the quote from a representative of the restaurant. Per the linked article:

A rep for the Texas Roadhouse.....saying in a statement: 'We were voted one of the loudest restaurants by Consumer Reports. We are proud to be loud. If you want to hear clinking wine glasses and clinking forks, then this probably isn’t the place for you.'

Texas Roadhouse diners leave spiteful note after Katie Leach's baby yelled | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-18-2017, 02:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Texas Roadhouse is not exactly haute cuisine...neither is it a quiet, romantic ambiance for couples. It IS a family restaurant so loud kids aren't the worst thing in the world. Kids need to be taught to be quiet but 10 months is too early to expect much...not a big deal.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Texas Roadhouse is not exactly haute cuisine...neither is it a quiet, romantic ambiance for couples. It IS a family restaurant so loud kids aren't the worst thing in the world. Kids need to be taught to be quiet but 10 months is too early to expect much...not a big deal.
I'm glad I went from page 1 to last page and then just read the very last post, because you just summed it up.

Screaming kid at Applebee's or a Texas Roadhouse? I mean....there's some noise to be expected, though a 10 month old having a meltdown needs to be removed, and it was egoist and selfish of the mother to expect everybody else to listen to her life choice blow a gasket. In this instance, all parties were wrong.

Screaming kid at a nicer restaurant (which is something I encounter a LOT these days): Throw the parents out of the restaurant after taking their photo and putting them on a ban list.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'm glad I went from page 1 to last page and then just read the very last post, because you just summed it up.

Screaming kid at Applebee's or a Texas Roadhouse? I mean....there's some noise to be expected, though a 10 month old having a meltdown needs to be removed, and it was egoist and selfish of the mother to expect everybody else to listen to her life choice blow a gasket. In this instance, all parties were wrong.

Screaming kid at a nicer restaurant (which is something I encounter a LOT these days): Throw the parents out of the restaurant after taking their photo and putting them on a ban list.
It wasn't a melt down. Its a normal phase most babies go through at that age. The learn a really annoying scream (2 seconds long tops) gets all the attention on them. Ignoring it is often how people deal with it, but its hard to ignore. They drop it when they learn other ways to get attention, like saying mama.

Its annoying...but it isn't non stop screaming and it isn't out of place for this type of restaurant. Its like complaining kids are running around in Chuck E Cheese.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:19 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
When my daughter would act up at a restaurant when we took her out at that age (which was rare) we would take her outside so she wouldn't be disturbing other patrons. Doesn't matter what restaurant, other paying customers have a right to have a meal in peace. A lot of times, that meant we had to get our meals boxed up and we ate at home instead. I know for myself, when we got the rare night off and had a babysitter, and we'd go to dinner, the absolute LAST thing we wanted to hear was some other screaming kid. Our one night out a month maybe, and we're subjected to screaming by parents who aren't as courteous as we are? F that.

Both mom and manager are in the wrong here. Sick and tired of people not taking responsibility for their and their children's actions, and neglecting to consider the feelings of the other patrons around them.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:36 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
When my daughter would act up at a restaurant when we took her out at that age (which was rare) we would take her outside so she wouldn't be disturbing other patrons. Doesn't matter what restaurant, other paying customers have a right to have a meal in peace. A lot of times, that meant we had to get our meals boxed up and we ate at home instead. I know for myself, when we got the rare night off and had a babysitter, and we'd go to dinner, the absolute LAST thing we wanted to hear was some other screaming kid. Our one night out a month maybe, and we're subjected to screaming by parents who aren't as courteous as we are? F that.

Both mom and manager are in the wrong here. Sick and tired of people not taking responsibility for their and their children's actions, and neglecting to consider the feelings of the other patrons around them.
I absolutely disagree.

Choose the restaurant that caters to your wishes. You want quiet, go to a quiet restaurant. You have a child who doesn't want to sit still, go to a restaurant where kids can run around. You have a noisy toddler, go to a restaurant that welcomes families with young children.

For one to expect their surroundings to change just because they show-up is just selfish and self-centered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting