Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Even if it doesn't always save money, lots of volunteer activities improve children's learning experience and better school districts raise the property values of people's homes in that area. This ultimately benefits everyone in that school district, even those without children.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is arguing that. Of course it benefits everyone. I just disagree that it represents cost savings as you described. You're looking for an argument that isn't there.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,394,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Agreed. I don't think anyone is arguing that. Of course it benefits everyone. I just disagree that it represents cost savings as you described. .
And that all depends on the school district. In some school districts, volunteers do almost everything except teach. In addition to volunteering, they also purchase lots of things needed for the school.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:20 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Fair question. And they, of course have every right to complain. As unfair as it may be, I don't think society looks at someone complaining about a job the same as someone complaining about being a SAHP though. I think there are two main reasons:

1). Being a SAHP is a choice for the most part. With few exceptions, most people MUST work. Complaining about something one CHOOSES to do is viewed differently than complaining about some one must do.
Not necessarily. Sometimes it makes more sense from an economic standpoint for mom or dad to stay at home, depending on whether they have help from family. Full time daycare is expensive. I also know many moms who could afford to stay home but choose to work. Are they not allowed to ever vent about work because they chose it?

Quote:
2). Being a SAHP is a privilege that many families simply cannot afford. I'm not sure someone in a family that has both spouses working just to get by, but who would desperately love to raise their own kids instead of a daycare doing it, is all that sympathetic regarding the complaints of a SAHP who is bored or who complains about how stressful it is to manage shopping and playdates.
A lot of two income families are doing way better then just getting by and of course could afford to downsize and have one parent stay home, if they so choose. You clearly have issues with stay at home moms based on your comments.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Quote:
You didn't grasp the point that I clearly made in my post. This volunteer work for school saves the taxpayers money.

I never once claimed they were "altruistic" or saintly. Where on earth are you getting this from? It's clearly a reading comprehension issue.
Oh, I grasped your post all right; I just feel it's pretty much a fallacy. Public schools aren't exactly getting extra funding for 'helpers'.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM

1,781 posts, read 957,214 times
Quote:
SAHMs don't necessarily stay at home all day, and they can stay very busy, especially if their kids aren't in school yet. It's a myth that they just sit on the couch all day. I'm a SAHM and most days I have to go somewhere - doctor, dentist, orthodontist, taking kids to school, gymnastics. Lots of car trips during the day.
I do all this too and I work full time (from home) but also travel for work throughout the US.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,954,408 times
Quote:
Perhaps she doesn't think it's anyone else's business what she does all day or whether she cooks or not.

Just an idea, you know? Her time is her own, to do with as she wishes.
It's not my business but it is my dad's business when he pays all of the bills.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,239,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A lot of two income families are doing way better then just getting by and of course could afford to downsize and have one parent stay home, if they so choose. You clearly have issues with stay at home moms based on your comments.
But people have different ideas on what it means to be able “afford to” keep one parent home long-term. Ten years ago, my idea of “afford to” consisted of being able to make rent, pay for the basics, and enough in savings to cover a few months of being expenses. Now? After all of the curve balls life pelted at us as a one-income family, my definition of “afford to” has dramatically changed.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:35 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,762,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
2). Being a SAHP is a privilege that many families simply cannot afford.
We couldn't "afford" it either...as in, we didn't have (and still don't) the homes and cars and clothes and toys, etc., that most of our peers (and even younger people) had, but it was more important to us for our children to be raised by us and no one else. It was not a "privilege", it was a decision about priorities.
It was worth it.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Aaaand here we go again...

Sigh.

SMH

Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
But people have different ideas on what it means to be able “afford to” keep one parent home long-term. Ten years ago, my idea of “afford to” consisted of being able to make rent, pay for the basics, and enough in savings to cover a few months of being expenses. Now? After all of the curve balls life pelted at us as a one-income family, my definition of “afford to” has dramatically changed.
Ok, but keep in mind what you're quoting was in response to this from the op:

Quote:
). 1). Being a SAHP is a choice for the most part. With few exceptions, most people MUST work. Complaining about something one CHOOSES to do is viewed differently than complaining about some one must do.

Being a SAHP is a privilege that many families simply cannot afford. I'm not sure someone in a family that has both spouses working just to get by, but who would desperately love to raise their own kids instead of a daycare doing it, is all that sympathetic regarding the complaints of a SAHP who is bored or who complains about how stressful it is to manage shopping and playdates.
The op is acting like all SAHP's have chosen it because that's what they wanted and because they are all well off enough to afford it and the op also insinuated in that post that everyone who works is working because they have to and no one does it because they choose to. I think most reasonable people would be able to recognize how ridiculous and untrue this is.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-23-2018 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: redundant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting