Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,572,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
When this old man was a youngster I had more unfortunate run-ins with this plant when I was out in the meadows.

My mother would do her, "Oh God, not again...." moan and go for the calamine lotion. And then all painted pink I would be back outdoors again.
Haha, loved your story . That stuff will make you forget all about your other pains, lol.

Here are some photos of the welts from Stinging Nettles. They sure do look like hives.

https://www.google.com/search?q=welt...w=1152&bih=615

--------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 04:03 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Doesn't sound like a waterborne bacterial infection--those take longer to clear.
Doesn't sound like an allergic reaction.
Doesn't sound like a waterborne virus--those take longer to clear.

Possibly a reaction to toxic industrial chemicals in the creek. What's upstream?

DD doesn't know what's upstream, other than a lot of Amish farms. DD's brother- and sister-in-law just built the house on 5 plus acres, and the pond and creek were already there. Their kids have been swimming in it all summer. Just me, but I'd have the water tested to make sure it was safe before I'd let my kids go in. Other than that, I think pond water's fine.

Grandson is now fine, diarrhea has passed hives cleared up. Still awaiting the test results, however.

BTW, DD is not the kind of mother with "too much time on her hands". She runs a whole foods/health supplement business and works 70 plus hours a week (which is why she often needs us grandparents to babysit). She follows the same guidelines with her family that she promotes in her business, and only lets grandsons have whole organic foods, with nothing processed, and no sugar. The "candy" given him by his cousin was a breath mint. He called it "candy" because he didn't know what else it was. I think there's xylitol in that.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
OP: I get that it is frustrating when you leave your kids in the care of someone else and maybe they don't follow instructions implicitly (no pond does not mean no creek).

However, the reality of it is that you left your kids in someone else's care. If the parents were no longer comfortable with this "change of plan" then you back out of it. I know you said it was "too late to make other arrangements" but what exactly were the parents doing? Certain prior engagements can be called off. And if they could not be called off, then that's the risk you take.

Speaking of risk, that's the risk you take of leaving your children in other people's care. What if you weren't clear about why you don't want the kids in the pond. Let's say the conversation went like "Grandma, little Jimmy doesn't know how to swim - we really don't want them near the pond." That could easily be taken as "No swimming. You can't swim in a creek. Fun times can be had there instead!"

In the end, if you can't trust your kids to be watched by the relative... then watch your kids yourselves.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'd probably draw the line at the Jack Daniels.

Not much you can do about it after the fact.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Reye's (Reye) syndrome:

"Aspirin has been linked with Reye's syndrome, so use caution when giving aspirin to children or teenagers for fever or pain. Though aspirin is approved for use in children older than age 3, children and teenagers recovering from chickenpox or flu-like symptoms should never take aspirin."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20377255
--------------------------------------------
Yes. That recommendation came out in 1980. The incident I posted about happened in the 1960s. The point I was trying to make was that we do learn new things about parenting.

ETA: Link with date- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...99905063401801

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-14-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Well, tell us what it was. We want to know .
Parasite. Possibly from playing in the stream behind our house!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) was first described by Hippocrates in the 5th century BC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

But what we DO have now is the internet to give us lots of boogeymen to scare ourselves with.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Flesh eating bacteria wasn't around in the good old days like it is now. We stay out of creeks. This is not Opie Taylor's Mayberry anymore.
Do you also refrain from surgery?

Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I'm betting on stinging nettles or something like that.

OMG HE ATE A BREATH MINT.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm betting on stinging nettles or something like that.

OMG HE ATE A BREATH MINT.
Yeah, I don't think it was the breath mint, even if it did have xylitol in it. Too many "internet doctors" here.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/xylitol-101
"Xylitol is generally well tolerated, but some people do get digestive side effects when they consume too much."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting