Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's pretty ignorant to think that one breath mint could cause diarrhea.

She did. She said the labs weren't available yet.
She also stated that the symptoms are gone. Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Actually, the warm water amoeba is a brain-eating thing. Symptoms would be neurologic -- not digestive. Again, it sounds like OP is trying to build a case against the other grandmother having access. It also sounds like the kid needs the balance that the other, less "worried" grandmother provides!

Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yes...We have had kids dying of some sort of amoeba in warm water ponds and lakes......it makes people very ill...and can cause death.
Summer swimming comes with reminder of deadly lake ameoba - StarTribune.com
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1366&bih=662

I would get your grandson tested asap.
That amoeba is called Naegleria fowleri. It is a heat lover so is less likely to be in colder water. It is more prevalent in the south, or as the water warms up in late summer so they say. For the curious here is a link to learn more about it. I remember reading several articles about young people succumbing to it. I don't think that is what this child had, but it's still interesting just the same. Only testing can determine what it was if infectious. It might have been nothing serious as well. Hopefully since he is all better now it was just something passing, and mild.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/general.html

-------------------------------------------------

Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As far as your daughter "not trusting her mother in law to watch the kids anymore," WOW. I think that's, well, at best an overreaction. That poor grandmother. That poor child. What a pity the mom feels the need to be so...overreactive.
It was also an over reaction that the daughter wanted to make other plans when she found out her MIL wanted to take the boys to visit their cousins for the day. When I originally read the OP, I thought the MIL was wanting to take the kids to an elderly relative's home, someplace that wouldn't exactly be kid friendly. But the daughter didn't want her kids to visit their cousins, aunt, and uncle? Seems odd. Since the husband overruled her, it doesn't sound like there was much of a reason to object to the boys seeing their cousins. It probably was a lot more fun then just sitting at grandma's alone.

I feel sorry for the husband.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It's pretty ignorant to think that one breath mint could cause diarrhea.

She did. She said the labs weren't available yet.
You did use the plural term "internet doctors" which would refer to more than one poster. We are entitled to give our opinions without insults from others.

And no one really knows how many of those candies were eaten. If I was a child, and knew I was in trouble for eating forbidden candy do you think I would say I ate a handful? I doubt it. "Oh, I only ate one" would be more like it, lol. And calling someone ignorant for their statement just because you disagree is very rude indeed.

The OP's last update is not the final one that we are waiting for. We are waiting for the update with the test results which is what tottsieanna was referring to. Why so negative?

Old 08-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wanted to post both these quotes because they show that, while the grandson was certainly sick with something, he's now over all symptoms as far as I can tell, thank goodness.

I also wanted to point out that apparently he doesn't have any immune disorders or anything like that - that his mom's restrictions are based on her beliefs about healthy living, not due to any underlying health condition the child has, which is also good. So apparently he's a healthy, active kid.

I also want to point out that the mom doesn't know "if it's the candy or the water in the creek" and I want to note that those are not the only two choices. It could be any number of things that have nothing to do with either the water or the "candy" (a breath mint) or even that day with his cousins and "other" grandmother.

Look, if the mom doesn't want her kids playing in ANY outdoor water on the property, it is her responsibility to make that clear, which she didn't do. And if her son is only allowed to eat "whole, organic foods, with nothing processed and no sugars," frankly it's her responsibility to make that clear first and foremost with her son, because she is not going to be able to control every single temptation or eating opportunity that comes his way, and he is going to be offered all sorts of things from playmates, relatives, school friend, etc over the years.

I certainly hope and pray that your daughter didn't say or do anything to make "the other grandmother" or these cousins feel badly about her son playing outside (sounds like a great day for boys!) or eating a breath mint that someone offered him, probably out of politeness or just generosity. Good grief.

The fact that the other cousins have been playing joyously (and apparently popping breath mints joyously too) all summer long in that creek really does imply that these aren't the issue - at least not for someone who is not unduly or overly sensitive to this sort of thing. That's why I said earlier "my bet is on nettles or something like that." It still is. Or maybe some sort of detergent, maybe even something that he got on his hands in a store or whatever, could be days before.

I'm not saying that a sick child shouldn't be taken to the doctor and tests run. What I'm saying is that the mom should not be so quick to lay blame on "either the creek water or the mystery candy" when it could honestly be all sorts of things. And not only that, they may NEVER find out what caused the symptoms. Whatever it was, the child has recovered. Meanwhile, I hope his mother has not dampened his joy or tainted his memories of a great summer day playing in the country with his cousins. Those can be some of the best days of one's life.

As far as your daughter "not trusting her mother in law to watch the kids anymore," WOW. I think that's, well, at best an overreaction. That poor grandmother. That poor child. What a pity the mom feels the need to be so...overreactive.
I agree completely. That may have been the best summer day that child has ever had. Like someone said previously "Playing in the creek like a wild boy". I loved that phrase . Those other things were just his temporary battle scars. "Today I am a man", lol.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
You did use the plural term "internet doctors" which would refer to more than one poster. We are entitled to give our opinions without insults from others.

And no one really knows how many of those candies were eaten. If I was a child, and knew I was in trouble for eating forbidden candy do you think I would say I ate a handful? I doubt it. "Oh, I only ate one" would be more like it, lol. And calling someone ignorant for their statement just because you disagree is very rude indeed.

The OP's last update is not the final one that we are waiting for. We are waiting for the update with the test results which is what tottsieanna was referring to. Why so negative?
You're nitpicking, and yet, many people have proffered their own diagnoses. You are entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts. The fact is, xylitol, which we don't know was in the breath mint to begin with, does not cause diarrhea except in large amounts and then rarely. I posted a link from a reliable source to that.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, the warm water amoeba is a brain-eating thing. Symptoms would be neurologic -- not digestive. Again, it sounds like OP is trying to build a case against the other grandmother having access. It also sounds like the kid needs the balance that the other, less "worried" grandmother provides!

I wasn't even there!!!!! I'm not building a case against the other "grandmother", just stating what DD told me, and that she is very upset with her MIL. .

Old 08-14-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You're nitpicking, and yet, many people have proffered their own diagnoses. You are entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts. The fact is, xylitol, which we don't know was in the breath mint to begin with, does not cause diarrhea except in large amounts and then rarely. I posted a link from a reliable source to that.
I wasn't the one who brought up breath mints to begin with. I was taking exception to your comment below which would include many of us. My comment still stands, thank you very much. You are as much an "internet" doctor as the rest us are. No room to point fingers.

Quote:

Too many "internet doctors" here.

My response:

Knowledge is power. Would you rather we stayed ignorant?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
just stating what DD told me, and that she is very upset with her MIL. .
Oh shoot, hate to hear that. Of course her MIL didn't want him to get sick either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting