Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'd probably draw the line at the Jack Daniels.

Go for the drop or two of cough syrup instead? That works too.

Sick kid likely has rash from algae, and internal upset from e-coli. Most kids recover from either or both just fine. Granny, let them be kids. They'll cure before they turn 21!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank goodness I have a normal, healthy daughter who has four normal, healthy kids.

My daughter is a "crunchy mom." She grows veggies, cooks from scratch with organic foods, uses aromatherapy and essential oils a lot, etc. More power to her - her kids are healthy and happy (she also always insists that they play outside a lot and I'm grateful for her good parenting of my beloved grandkids).

BUT from the start, when she'd drop her kids off with me when they were little bitty (they are school age now), we had this little routine together. She'd say "OK ,MiMi - bedtime is at 8. One cookie. No soda. No movies that I haven't approved."

I'd take the kiddo into my arms and say, "You have a great time!" Then I'd wink at the child and say "Bedtime is at 9. You get two cookies. No soda. And we'll watch Whale Rider together. And eat popcorn. Come on - let's go - you're with MiMi now!"

I mean, I wasn't going to let them watch Pulp Fiction. I don't keep sodas in my house. They weren't going to eat ten cookies. But come on - grandparents can bend the rules a bit!

My daughter was fine with that by the way - it was all sort of an elaborate act. Now WOULD she rather I follow every single rule of hers to the nth degree? Probably. But guess what - I raised her and she's healthy and smart and in shape and all that good stuff. When kids are at their grandparents, they should be able to relax some rules a bit within reason if the grandparents aren't freaking idiots. And if they are, then don't leave the kids with freaking idiots.

The OP's situation doesn't sound like it involves freaking idiots - at least not on the kids' or grandparents' part.

See that's the thing it seems some kids forget. Their parents raised them just fine. Each generation seems to believe taking care of children has drastically changed and somehow theirs is the only generation that knows how to do it right.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Sounds just from your original post like you're making a case for "the other grandmother" to lose access to your grandchildren. Hope that's not successful; young kids need ALL their relatives -- not just their mother's mother.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,511 times
When I was about 8, my sister & I spend the day with our cousins. First we went to a carnival & rode all the rides we could; we ate hot dogs & cotton candy; we went back to their house and rolled down the big hill in their front yard where the grass had just been cut; then we had fried chicken for dinner. In the morning, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. My stomach hurt & I threw up; I had a headache; my skin was itchy & full of hives. There was nothing mysterious. I took a benedryl, went to sleep, woke up fine, except I haven't eaten cotton candy in over 40 years.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
When I was about 8, my sister & I spend the day with our cousins. First we went to a carnival & rode all the rides we could; we ate hot dogs & cotton candy; we went back to their house and rolled down the big hill in their front yard where the grass had just been cut; then we had fried chicken for dinner. In the morning, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. My stomach hurt & I threw up; I had a headache; my skin was itchy & full of hives. There was nothing mysterious. I took a benedryl, went to sleep, woke up fine, except I haven't eaten cotton candy in over 40 years.
LOL right on.

When I was about 12 my mom decided I was old enough to shave my legs. She just handed me some old school single blade razor and said "Congrats!" I sliced a sliver of skin off my shin from my knee to my ankle. It got infected. Mom put some sort of salve on it. I'd had my tetanus shot. I lived.

When I was about seven I asked if I could make chocolate chip cookies. By myself. As usual, my mother was pretty uninvolved - she would say she was encouraging me to be independent and maybe she was. Anyway, I mixed it all up - and ate at least half the batter before putting them in the oven. I was sick as a dog. I didn't eat chocolate chip cookies again till I was an adult!

When all our extended family would meet up at the old family farm for weeks at a time, I'd play outside with my cousins from sun up till sun down and I don't think my parents ever knew where we were or what we were doing - mostly it involved getting very dirty, swimming in ponds, taking leaky boats out on ponds, stomping in mud, and eating copious amounts of candy (and drinking sodas) from my grandfather's country store. If we came inside to cool off in the AC, our parents and/or aunts or uncles or grandparents would shoo us back outside after we'd had a plate of black eyed peas, chicken and dumplings, and corn bread. Those were some of the very best days of my life. And every summer, I'd end up scratched up, rashed up, et up with "chiggers," sunburned - and gloriously happy. I even found a tick or two on myself once in awhile.

It's so sad that so many kids don't experience that now. I did my best to give that to my kids too - I remember them being so dirty from playing outside (on the property we bought SPECIFICALLY because it was within walking distance to the lake, and to ponds, and had fields behind it where the kids could and did play for hours every day), that I would make them strip down to their undies and I'd hose them off with the garden hose on the patio before I would even let them in the house!

One of them had a tick too - right in the middle of her back. She lived. So did I. It was the cost of doing business - the business of play, dirt, mud pies, sticks, adventures.

We live near a creek now, and so does my daughter. Her kids play in it constantly, especially her son who is ten (the girls have begun to outgrow it but they will still explore occasionally!). You know what my husband and I just sent him for his birthday? The SAS Survival Book. We sent him a similar book last year - ordered it used online - but their dad won't let him read it by himself because in addition to first aid and survival skills, it also demonstrates how to hot wire a car! LOL Ooops. Anyway, for Christmas we bought our grandson a compass, some hiking boots, and a BB gun - with the parents' approval and under their supervision, which means "You can't take the gun out shooting without an adult." But now he has graduated to "You can take the gun into your friends' barn and shoot rats." He loves that! He brought home several rats - carried them by their tails - to show his mom his prowess.

LORD HELP US ALL! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Go for the drop or two of cough syrup instead? That works too.

Sick kid likely has rash from algae, and internal upset from e-coli. Most kids recover from either or both just fine. Granny, let them be kids. They'll cure before they turn 21!
e-coli can kill. It is not something I would recommend being deliberately exposed to.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372058
"Healthy adults usually recover from infection with E. coli O157:H7 within a week, but young children and older adults have a greater risk of developing a life-threatening form of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome. . . Unlike many other disease-causing bacteria, E. coli can cause an infection even if you ingest only small amounts. Because of this, you can be sickened by E. coli from eating a slightly undercooked hamburger or from swallowing a mouthful of contaminated pool water."
My allowable three. Read the link for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
See that's the thing it seems some kids forget. Their parents raised them just fine. Each generation seems to believe taking care of children has drastically changed and somehow theirs is the only generation that knows how to do it right.
Actually, we do keep learning things. I personally know someone who lost a child, teen actually, to Rye Syndrome from giving her aspirin. My parents' generation raised us without car seats. Lots of kids killed in traffic accidents. Both my parents' gen and my gen raised our kids with stomach sleeping, now known to be a major cause of SIDS and other deaths.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sounds just from your original post like you're making a case for "the other grandmother" to lose access to your grandchildren. Hope that's not successful; young kids need ALL their relatives -- not just their mother's mother.
Yes, I picked up on that too.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Actually, we do keep learning things. I personally know someone who lost a child, teen actually, to Rye Syndrome from giving her aspirin. My parents' generation raised us without car seats. Lots of kids killed in traffic accidents. Both my parents' gen and my gen raised our kids with stomach sleeping, now known to be a major cause of SIDS and other deaths.

People once believed the world was flat. That has no relevance to caring for children either.

Children have been being born, maturing and again reproducing for 200,000 or 2.5 million years. I imagine they will continue to do so.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
People once believed the world was flat. That has no relevance to caring for children either.

Children have been being born, maturing and again reproducing for 200,000 or 2.5 million years. I imagine they will continue to do so.
But car seats do have relevance to caring for children, so does back sleeping, and not giving aspirin to kids.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I know a family who lost a baby to suffocating because they laid her on her stomach. I know a family who lost a baby because the baby threw up and choked to death on his own vomit laying on his back in his crib. I mean, I could go on and on but medical advice can seem capricious sometimes, My gosh, my oldest daughter was prescribed paragoric for teething and I think that's a freaking opiate! When I was a kid, we used to intentionally break thermometers so we could roll the mercury around in our palms! No way would I give a grandchild an opiate, or let them play with mercury - but to be honest, I still am not 100 percent sure about how to lay a newborn in a crib. So I just do what the parents tell me to do.

I don't think anyone is saying throw caution to the wind. What I think people are saying is that a little dirt is usually more, not less, beneficial during childhood. Not a lot. Not wallowing in e coli, not going without tetanus shots, not eschewing modern medicine or increasing knowledge - just don't harshly judge a grandparent of a child who has no immune deficiency syndrome for allowing that child to play in the creek with his cousins and eat a piece of candy for pete's sake.

COMMON SENSE - it's apparently not all that common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting