Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,543,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I wasn't even there!!!!! I'm not building a case against the other "grandmother", just stating what DD told me, and that she is very upset with her MIL. .
I still think she is creating one secret-eating-junk-food-looooooving kid when he's a little older.

I used to stand over the chip bowl at birthday parties, and my parents weren't anywhere near as strict with food as your DD. Moderation is so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,087,741 times
Quote:
I wasn't even there!!!!! I'm not building a case against the other "grandmother", just stating what DD told me, and that she is very upset with her MIL. .
Your daughter needs to take a “chill pill”. There’s little for her to be upset about.

It amazes me how those that subscribe to whatever the newest eco-fad are very often resistant/anxious about the most natural of things. E.g. Bacteria, viruses and dirt. All the cleanliness and caution in the world will not keep a person from coming in contact with those at some point in their lifetime. So there’s really nothing to stop the presses about.

As a child, several of my cohorts and I survived multiple bouts of malaria, ecoli and other “exotic” illnesses from tropical places with diseases that kill millions-with nowhere near the medical knowledge and facilities available here these days. Some didn’t... but most of us did.

The kid will live to have diarrhea another day. All the organic food in the world won’t prevent that.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,058,553 times
Quote:
she is very upset with her MIL.
How old is this child? It seems odd to be very upset with the MIL over something like this. The child is fine, he was sick for a few days. Those things happen, it is not always someone's fault. I find it hard to believe that this kid has never been sick before.

She doesn't even know what caused the kid to be ill. For all she knows its stress related over the way that she acts and has zero to do with the MIL or anyone else in her husband's family.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh yeah, that was the other one that I couldn't think of, thanks. Glad you got to the bottom of your mystery. In Colorado they were always warning people about drinking the water in nature without treating it first. That it might look good, but still have things in it that could make you very ill.

If anyone is interested here is a link on Recreational Water Illnesses from the CDC with additional links to the various types of baddies.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swi...mmers/rwi.html

And this one from the EPA about Giardia tells how prevalent it is even in treated water as the cysts are resistant to chlorination.

"What are the health effects of Giardia
infection?
Giardia infection may be acquired
without producing any symptoms, and this is
often the case for children. In symptomatic
patients, acute diarrhea is the predominate
feature. In some instances, diarrhea may be
transient and mild, passing without notice; in
others diarrhea can be chronic. Other
symptoms may include abdominal cramps,
bloating, flatulence, steatorrhea (daily losses
of fat in feces greater than 7 grams), weight
loss, and occasionally vomiting. Stools may
be pale, greasy, and malodorous. Weight loss
may be significant. In some patients,
symptoms last for only 3 or 4 days, while in
others symptoms can last for months or years."

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...-factsheet.pdf

--------------------------------------------------
See, now with me, the symptoms would begin late in the day, and would start with what I called rotten egg burps. Horrible. Then, I'd start to feel nauseous and would feel that way all the while I was doing homework. Finally, it would end up with vomiting, then I'd feel ok and go to sleep. And then it would start all over again at the end of the next day. This went on for a few weeks, maybe longer, I forget. What's interesting is that I found this symptomology on some obscure site a few years back, connected to giardia. Now, mostly what I find is what you posted above. Some kids poop, some kids puke. I was more of a lil' puker. We all were, my siblings and I. My father learned the hard way to pull the car over fast when one of us piped up from the back seat "I feel sick"

The only other match I got was food poisoning. I suppose that's a possibility, considering there was a member of the household involved in food prep who didn't like me much and it would explain why other members of the household weren't affected. But I'll go with the giardia.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,470,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Knowledge is power. Would you rather we stayed ignorant?

I'd rather get my medical information from reliable sources rather than invisible people on the internet, especially if the latter are into drama and/or boogeymen.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,586,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
See, now with me, the symptoms would begin late in the day, and would start with what I called rotten egg burps. Horrible. Then, I'd start to feel nauseous and would feel that way all the while I was doing homework. Finally, it would end up with vomiting, then I'd feel ok and go to sleep. And then it would start all over again at the end of the next day. This went on for a few weeks, maybe longer, I forget. What's interesting is that I found this symptomology on some obscure site a few years back, connected to giardia. Now, mostly what I find is what you posted above. Some kids poop, some kids puke. I was more of a lil' puker. We all were, my siblings and I. My father learned the hard way to pull the car over fast when one of us piped up from the back seat "I feel sick"

The only other match I got was food poisoning. I suppose that's a possibility, considering there was a member of the household involved in food prep who didn't like me much and it would explain why other members of the household weren't affected. But I'll go with the giardia.
It's very possible. One of those links said that Giardia can happen in the city too, and explained how. I'm with you on the car sickness misery. I was always getting carsick when young. Now days it's seasickness to the max. I don't want anything to do with boating at all because of it. It ruins the whole experience.

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-14-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,930,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your story sounds very extreme. Dropped out with three weeks to go? Something fishy there.
I was a student at the same graduate school at the time. It happened. I received my own graduate degree as scheduled. Made no sense to me, either. My classmate's professors and fellow classmates tried to persuade her to stick it out. No dice. Her grades were okay, as I recall - she was certainly bright enough - just incapacitating fear of finishing.

The daughter later finished her master's at a university closer to her home, to which she could commute, but she received no credits for her drop-out semester, of course, and had to re-take comparable classes.

Nothing "fishy" about it. I agree that it was an extreme case - but it occurred. I remember my own parents, who were friends with this girl's parents, expressing concern about her mother's over-protectiveness from the time the daughter was a small child (we were also elementary school classmates from first grade on), clear up into her twenties.

Why would you think I'd make up such a story? What would be the purpose of fabricating a tale like this? Do you think I am capable of doing that? If so, you are very mistaken, and I find your assumption offensive.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 08-14-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,586,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'd rather get my medical information from reliable sources rather than invisible people on the internet, especially if the latter are into drama and/or boogeymen.
"Knowledge is power", or "Knowledge itself is power" is a famous quote attributed to Sir Francis Bacon. Never stop learning even if people mock you for it.

Now don't forget that reliable medical sources do post their information online. We just have to look for it. As an example, two of my recent links on this thread were from the CDC, and the EPA both of which are reputable sources. There is much wisdom from both folk, and traditional sources online amidst the bogus things. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. We musn't take anyone's word for something. Go to a doctor, and also do your own research. Read a variety of things to find out what the truth is. Studying is good, and we may learn something new along the way that we can use later on.

If you don't want to that is fine too. But being insulting is not part of finding the truth. At least it shouldn't be. We are all just trying to be helpful here.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Hopefully you can set your daughter straight. Frankly, and simply put, all these sound like excuses to disallow her child to stay with the other grandmother. At it's most generous and best, your daughter seems to be overreacting. This will not work in her favor, or her son's favor, in the long run.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I was a student at the same graduate school at the time. It happened. I received my own graduate degree as scheduled. Made no sense to me, either. My classmate's professors and fellow classmates tried to persuade her to stick it out. No dice. Her grades were okay, as I recall - she was certainly bright enough - just incapacitating fear of finishing.

The daughter later finished her master's at a university closer to her home, to which she could commute, but she received no credits for her drop-out semester, of course, and had to re-take comparable classes.

Nothing "fishy" about it. I agree that it was an extreme case - but it occurred. I remember my own parents, who were friends with this girl's parents, expressing concern about her mother's over-protectiveness from the time the daughter was a small child (we were also elementary school classmates from first grade on), clear up into her twenties.

Why would you think I'd make up such a story? What would be the purpose of fabricating a tale like this? Do you think I am capable of doing that? If so, you are very mistaken, and I find your assumption offensive.
Calm down, bub, that's not what I meant at all. I think dropping out of school with three weeks to go sounds very odd, like maybe she was failing a course or something. Good Grief! Take your offense somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting