Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
They will be in for 'fun times' once their children start school and see what the other children are allowed to do, especially when it comes to food. Have they discussed what the child is supposed to do when he sees the other children eating junk food, candy and soda while he sits there with his kale/organic bean salad?
I know a similar child going to start Junior Kindergarten soon. As a very, very special treat he is allowed three M & M candies. His parents keep the M & Ms, and other treats, in a time release cookie jar that can only be opened 24 hours after the lid is closed. They also store almond butter (like peanut butter) and other things in a sealed metal tin, with a combination lock so the kids can't get it open. Yes, a combination lock.

Yes, I also anticipate fun times when he starts public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I know a similar child going to start Junior Kindergarten soon. As a very, very special treat he is allowed three M & M candies. His parents keep the M & Ms, and other treats, in a time release cookie jar that can only be opened 24 hours after the lid is closed. They also store almond butter (like peanut butter) and other things in a sealed metal tin, with a combination lock so the kids can't get it open. Yes, a combination lock.

Know what makes people want things more? Not being able to have them.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:01 PM

257 posts, read 177,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Know what makes people want things more? Not being able to have them.

Yup. My parents took this into account regarding alcohol, and did the very European thing of allowing their kids to have a drink when they were having a drink with dinner, starting in about 8th grade. So our weekly visits to the Mexican restaurant, I'd get a margarita, or if they were having wine or beer with pizza, they'd let me have some too. Because of that, I never drank outside of their presence in high school even though I had ample opportunities, knowing I could have a drink with them just about whenever I wanted made me not have any interest in a purloined case of Natty light or a bottle of SoCo. When I went to college, sure I drank before I was 21, and won't say I never drank too much, but didn't go crazy with it like so many of my friends who saw it as a forbidden fruit did.

On the other hand, my mother never bought white sandwich bread when I was a kid growing up. I think the only time we had it in the house was thanksgiving when she used it to make stuffing and then we used the leftover slices to make sandwiches with the leftover turkey the next day. But since I only had whole wheat bread on my sandwiches, I never developed a taste for white bread, and still don't to this day. The other thing, she never bought us sugary kids' cereals. The first time I had one was in the morning after a sleepover at the end of third grade. Pac-Man cereal with the marshmallows. It was so foreign and gross tasting to me I could only eat one bite.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Yup. My parents took this into account regarding alcohol, and did the very European thing of allowing their kids to have a drink when they were having a drink with dinner, starting in about 8th grade. So our weekly visits to the Mexican restaurant, I'd get a margarita, or if they were having wine or beer with pizza, they'd let me have some too. Because of that, I never drank outside of their presence in high school even though I had ample opportunities, knowing I could have a drink with them just about whenever I wanted made me not have any interest in a purloined case of Natty light or a bottle of SoCo. When I went to college, sure I drank before I was 21, and won't say I never drank too much, but didn't go crazy with it like so many of my friends who saw it as a forbidden fruit did.

On the other hand, my mother never bought white sandwich bread when I was a kid growing up. I think the only time we had it in the house was thanksgiving when she used it to make stuffing and then we used the leftover slices to make sandwiches with the leftover turkey the next day. But since I only had whole wheat bread on my sandwiches, I never developed a taste for white bread, and still don't to this day. The other thing, she never bought us sugary kids' cereals. The first time I had one was in the morning after a sleepover at the end of third grade. Pac-Man cereal with the marshmallows. It was so foreign and gross tasting to me I could only eat one bite.
LOL. My mother never bought the surgery cereal either. It was Cheerios or shredded wheat and not the frosted kind. My friend, OTOH, had 4-5 boxes of different cereals. I was amazed and liked sleeping over so I could have surgery cereal. I never bought surgery cereal for my kids either and I would not let them put sugar on it. So when my son was grown he bought a box of fruit loops and brought to my house, made him a big bowl and put sugar on it, just to goat me.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. My mother never bought the surgery cereal either. It was Cheerios or shredded wheat and not the frosted kind. My friend, OTOH, had 4-5 boxes of different cereals. I was amazed and liked sleeping over so I could have surgery cereal. I never bought surgery cereal for my kids either and I would not let them put sugar on it. So when my son was grown he bought a box of fruit loops and brought to my house, made him a big bowl and put sugar on it, just to goat me.
That is funny..When my son had his first kitchen he called to say he bought & ate an entire
pound of bacon because growing up we always rationed the # bacon pieces per person to make sure everyone got some.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That is funny..When my son had his first kitchen he called to say he bought & ate an entire
pound of bacon because growing up we always rationed the # bacon pieces per person to make sure everyone got some.
i remember when i got to high school i drank my first entire can of soda pop. my mom when we were growing up, we only ever had pop when there was company over. so let's say there's four kids. she would line up 4 glasses. She would fill each glass to the brim with ice cubes. Then she would open one can of pop (never coke or pepsi, always only the discount off brand). This one can of pop she would pour spread out among the 4 glasses each filled with ice cubes. and that was what each of the kids got. I remember it was a few sips and then a bunch of ice cubes with pop residue stuck on them, which we would try to lick off. never was the glass full, usually the pop came up about half way. I ventured once to ask about having a full glass sometime and she said it is full, the ice goes all the way to the top.

so it was a big deal for me when i went to high school, we had just moved to California, and there were actual coke machines in the high school halls, and i bought an entire can of coke for myself.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

OMG that is hilarious, not just locks, but TIME locks !!!!
i thought our house was bad as a kid because my mom had a glass cookie jar with a glass lid and we could never open it secretly to get a cookie because the glass lid clinked and she could hear it from anywhere in the house (we had a very small house).

the only locked up stuff i heard of was when my kids told me (their dad and i divorced when they were little) that over at their dad's house, wife #2 locked up all the plates and dishes and she would not let the kids use any of the dishes. they had one plate each and one drinking glass each and they were required to wash their own plate and dish and not use any of the dishes which were locked up. I said what's with that. He said she did not like them taking food into their rooms to eat and leaving the dishes in there, so she locked up all the dishes. weird. when all the dishes were dirty they would wash the dishes, it made sense to them. however she did not approve of that either so that was her punishment. oh and they lived in a home that cost over 1.2 million dollars, and that was back in the 1990s.

My eldest son is now grown and when I went to his house there was one cupboard that was off limits to everyone except him. I opened it and looked in it, it had one clean plate and one clean glass and one clean bowl, that no one could use except him. I said what's with that. He said (he was sharing the house with his two brothers at the time) his brothers never did the dishes and when all the dishes in the house got dirty, he would have his one clean plate always ready to use. So they seem to have retained a variation of the bizarreness they grew up with.

Wife #2 appears to have gotten even stranger and has taken the kitchen vendetta to more bizarre heights. They went to visit their dad and wife #2 (now living in the 3.2 million dollar home in Hawaii) and they stayed for a week, and they were forbidden from using the entire kitchen . The whole kitchen was off limits. Now they were invited for a family gathering, 5 grown kids, with their wives and girlfriends, and no one was allowed to use the kitchen. Not for heating take out food, not for boiling water for tea, not for microwaving a bowl of oatmeal or making a piece of toast in the toaster, not if they promised to wash and clean after every meal. NOPE. off limits.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So maybe if he hadn't spent his life in a sanitized bubble he would have built up some immunities to average outdoor bacteria and therefore not been susceptible. (Like his cousins)

DD got what she paid for. Guess which kids will be more grateful for their childhood/parenting?
It's been determined that farm kids, who grow up exposed to many different kinds of animals and bacteria, have stronger immune systems and lead healthier lives, than those who are sheltered from such exposures.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:58 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This may (very well) not be about dangers in nature or overprotective parenting at all, but simply about finding some excuse to edge the other grandmother out of the children's lives. I've seen that happen, even in the absence of any excuse at all. If the father is passive and doesn't stand up for his side of the family, the daughter can make her mother the "main" or sometimes even only grandmother the kids will ever know. Just sayin'...

No, no one wants me to be the "alpha" grandma. I've done most of the babysitting because I only work 30 hours a week. I'm a school cafeteria cook, start work at 6:00 and work until 11:00 three days a week and until 1:30 two days a week. I'm off every weekend, a week at Thanksgiving, a week at Easter, and two weeks at Christmas, not to mention all the government Monday holidays. Plus almost three months during the summer. The other grandma, until very recently, had a stressful office management job with lots of responsibilities and required overtime. Even when off, she was often too tired to babysit, even though they live only a mile from DD and son-in-law.

Grandsons (4 3/4 and 22 months) HAVE been exposed to nature and dirt...they live out in the country with a lot of acreage and woods. When I babysit four days a week during the summer, we handle toads, dig in the garden, collect bugs, drive Tonkas through the dirt pile, pick berries in the woods, etc. I always make sure they wash their hands before they eat. Other than not knowing if the pond and creek were contaminated, DD was also concerned because neither grandson can swim. Oldest (the 4-year-old) was enrolled in swimming lessons at a local college last spring, but hated it and almost always refused to go in the pool. The pond is deep enough to go over his head. The cousins are all older, and good swimmers.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-16-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 07:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post

Good Grief! That people still believe this "European" meme is amazing to me. European teens abuse alcohol to a greater extent than American teens. In fact, Europeans in general use and abuse alcohol more than the rest of the world.
https://www.mdt.mt.gov/visionzero/do...jjdp_feb01.pdf
https://www.vox.com/2016/1/26/108332...r-drinking-age
WHO/Europe | Data and statistics

And why didn't this principle apply to white bread and sugary cereals? Why not buy a loaf of white bread every now and then, or a box of "Lucky Charms" or whatever? Explain the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's been determined that farm kids, who grow up exposed to many different kinds of animals and bacteria, have stronger immune systems and lead healthier lives, than those who are sheltered from such exposures.
No, this has not been determined. We spent some time on this thread discussing the "hygiene hypothesis". It's still a hypothesis and no more, after twenty years or so of study. In addition, the general public has way over-interpreted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting