Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:10 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times

Advertisements

Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed anti depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.

Would any of you hire someone like this to care for your child(ren) 10 years old and under?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 12:20 AM

52 posts, read 48,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed anti depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.

Would any of you hire someone like this to care for your child(ren) 10 years old and under?
Um...no. You need to know people VERY WELL before they are ever allowed to babysit your child. You shouldn't be "hearing things" then hap hazzardly making assumptions about such then handing over your precious little ones based on almost nothing. Not even a full conversation to get the facts which with depression, would like at least an hour or so.

I let my best friends babysit, and babysat for them. We vacationed together, we were neighbors. Very few people babysat.

Whether they suffer from depression would make no difference to me (in and of itself). A huge majority of the population suffers from such. You need to know them like the back of your hand before you assign people to babysit your kids.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
The problem is also that depression is often associated with deeper psychological issues, any of which may have not yet been diagnosed. You simply can't take a chance when it comes to your child.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:

No. Not for any age child. But I appreciate their honesty in telling you.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
No.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:

This report states that 26% of all women & 15% of all men in America were on medications to fight depression in 2010.
http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/doc...n/s19032en.pdf

Other reports say that about 10% of the population are on anti-depression medications. Here is one report but there are many others. Most say that it is difficult to pinpoint the exact number and that suspect that it is much higher than 10% today.
The Rise of All-Purpose Antidepressants - Scientific American This report tells about the off-label use of these medications for many other illnesses and problems.

Have you asked your all of your relatives, who watch your children, about their specific illnesses and what medications they are taking? Your MIL & FIL? Your parents? All of your siblings & their spouses?

Have you discussed mental health issues & what medications they are taking with the parents of your children's friends? What about their school teachers? What about their Sunday school teachers? What about their coaches?

What about your friends or neighbors who may provide some emergency child care? Have you asked all of them to share their health history and list of medications?

Hmmm, if 26% of women & 15% of all men are currently on these medications. I bet that your child is already cared for or has been cared for by someone either fighting depression or has fought depression in the past.

Just a few things to think about. While you certainly must be careful about who watches your children I suspect that some people on this thread may be over reacting a bit.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-27-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
It would depend on the sitter and how well I knew her. I used a sitter in the past that was taking Zoloft for PPD. My mom also took an SSRI for SAD. She watched my kids on many occasions. Heck, I take Wellbutrin for cyclothymia and anxiety, and took Zoloft for PPD. My kids seem to be fine?

Are we talking major depression, moderate or mild? Is it managed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The problem is also that depression is often associated with deeper psychological issues, any of which may have not yet been diagnosed. You simply can't take a chance when it comes to your child.
Like...? Sources? Depression can and is often comorbid with anxiety, and it can be a symptom of other illnesses. Is that what you mean? Or by "deeper psychological issues" you're talking about sociopathy, psychopathy, multiple personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, Bipolar I & II, social anxiety disorder, OCD, schizophrenia, PTSD, panic disorder, grief/mourning, addictions, etc., etc.?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Never.

Period.

I see hiring a babysitter or nanny like looking for a wife. I want to see her medicine cabinet first. If I see meds for depression, anxiety, bi-polar... it's over.

I realize that is a harsh thing to say, but when talking about protecting my children it's just how I feel. I do hire people with such maladies without reservation. I just don't place my kids in their hands.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Wow! I agree with Germaine. Major over reaction going on here. There's also a good chance you already hired someone with depression and never knew it.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Never.

Period.

I see hiring a babysitter or nanny like looking for a wife. I want to see her medicine cabinet first. If I see meds for depression, anxiety, bi-polar... it's over

Blazer Prophet,
I realize that is a harsh thing to say, but when talking about protecting my children it's just how I feel. I do hire people with such maladies without reservation. I just don't place my kids in their hands.
That is interesting. How many potential babysitters or nannies have you actually asked to look in their medicine cabinet or for a list of their medications before hiring them? And what were their reactions to your request?

And, if they are teenage date-night babysitters do you ask their parents permission before you ask them about their medical history?

What about your sisters & brothers & your parents, and your spouse's sisters & brothers & parents have you asked them for a list of their medications? Or do you not allow your children to stay with their aunts, uncles and grandparents?

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-27-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting