Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
Nope. Naw. No way. Not me.

I once dealt with a case where a guy was bi-polar and he would every now and then 'snap' and then drug and rape his guests whether they were male or female. He of course hid that he was gay from others because he didn't want them to realize his potential interest in case he decided to slip them some Roofies--that he pretended to be straight showed that he was cold and calculating as to what he was doing. Turns out his favorite comic book was a Neil Gaiman novel where someone kept a victim locked up in a house and raped them for 'inspiration'. And no I wouldn't recommend him for a babysitter. And no he wasn't just bi-polar he was and is psychopath and was playing most everyone including his neighbors for fools.

Being sympathetic for someone's depression is a stupid reason for exposing a child to danger that could mar the child for life. Its one thing to have a depressed or bi-polar friend over for BBQ and playing with the dogs and kids to cheer them up but to leave your children to their custody, asinine.

TBH depression isn't an illness its a symptom of an illness. Saying depression is an illness is like saying a blood leaking from a hole in someone's chest is an illness--nevermind the loud bang and the piece of metal in their chest; nevermind the 3 foot sword hanging out of their back, cos Doctard sez "bleeding is an illness". Telling people that their depression is an illness is akin to making up an excuse to treat a knife wound by prescribing a 'blood cup' and a bar of soap to a stabbing victim--upon such idiocy Doctard can safely a career.
Riiight, because untreated bipolar disorder and depression are totes the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 11:26 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Yes
Many people can experience depressive disorder without comorbidities.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Personally, I would have to take it on a case by case basis.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
Nope. Naw. No way. Not me.

I once dealt with a case where a guy was bi-polar and he would every now and then 'snap' and then drug and rape his guests whether they were male or female. He of course hid that he was gay from others because he didn't want them to realize his potential interest in case he decided to slip them some Roofies--that he pretended to be straight showed that he was cold and calculating as to what he was doing. Turns out his favorite comic book was a Neil Gaiman novel where someone kept a victim locked up in a house and raped them for 'inspiration'. And no I wouldn't recommend him for a babysitter. And no he wasn't just bi-polar he was and is psychopath and was playing most everyone including his neighbors for fools.

Being sympathetic for someone's depression is a stupid reason for exposing a child to danger that could mar the child for life. Its one thing to have a depressed or bi-polar friend over for BBQ and playing with the dogs and kids to cheer them up but to leave your children to their custody, asinine.

TBH depression isn't an illness its a symptom of an illness. Saying depression is an illness is like saying a blood leaking from a hole in someone's chest is an illness--nevermind the loud bang and the piece of metal in their chest; nevermind the 3 foot sword hanging out of their back, cos Doctard sez "bleeding is an illness". Telling people that their depression is an illness is akin to making up an excuse to treat a knife wound by prescribing a 'blood cup' and a bar of soap to a stabbing victim--upon such idiocy Doctard can safely a career.
Your kids have much more to worry about than who you choose to babysit them.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM

128 posts, read 102,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Your kids have much more to worry about than who you choose to babysit them.
Don't flatter yourself, we're not afraid of people like you.

My point wasn't to be insensitive to people with adverse psychological conditions. It is simply madness to associate with trusting a child's life to someone having psychological problems as being 'kind' though it might be 'nice' (nice in the original sense of the word 'nice'). Similarly, loving one's abusive relative or forgiving someone doesn't necessarily mean one has to put oneself into a place of subjection to further abuse. They can be loved and forgiven from a distance. And its actually OK to love oneself. But entrusting a child to someone so precariously seems foolish. Love the child first. Love foolish theories less, a lot, lot less.

The other point, clear and obviated, is that many so-called 'diseases' are merely symptoms. "feeling bad" is not a disease-in-fact it is a symptom. Believe what you like, there are many who would (and do) gladly make money off of treating symptoms while ignoring all manner of causality, I'm not one of them. But that 2nd point might be off-topic. I consider, for example, the case of a child who was put on psych. meds for 'feeling bad' but yet (once I got involved and investigated) it was found that among other things the child was suffering from viral infection.

P.S. There is this 'profession', full of people who have God complexes and only care about money.

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-28-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed anti depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.
Ritalin is not an antidepressant medication. It is a medication for attention deficit disorder/hyperactivity.

It is true that depression is very common in the population, particularly in women. 1 out of every 3 women will experience clinical depression during her life.

On the one hand, if someone is taking medication/getting treatment for their depression, they may actually be in remission - not be struggling with depression anymore due to the medications being effective.

Someone not being treated (untreated depression/not on meds) seems more problematic to me.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:55 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
I am glad there are a few enlightened posters on this subject. Depression is a very prevalent and treatable illness as some have stated.

To those of you who say they would not want a nanny who suffers from depression working with your child, if they developed it after they were hired, what would you do?

Old 05-28-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I am glad there are a few enlightened posters on this subject. Depression is a very prevalent and treatable illness as some have stated.

To those of you who say they would not want a nanny who suffers from depression working with your child, if they developed it after they were hired, what would you do?
Yes, good point that depression is very treatable. Over 80% of those treated with medication and therapy for depression will actually go into remission, meaning they will NOT suffer from depression any more, due to the treatment.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Very good question!
To those people I ask: what if your nanny developed depression as a RESULT of working with YOUR child? (haha)

Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed anti depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.

Would any of you hire someone like this to care for your child(ren) 10 years old and under?
Absolutely not! Young children thrive in environments that are psychologically healthy, structured, predictable, and stable. People who have psychological problems to the extent that they require daily medication to manage those problems should not be around children. I would not take that risk with my own children - ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting