Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times

Advertisements

You wanna name your daughter Oblina?

She mess up your life or something?

Right down there with:

Shibliuquia, Quaitracia, LaTrina (which actually means a Pee Ditch in Spanish), or La'a pronounced "Ladasha" ("cuz' the dash ain't be silent", even though that's an apostrophe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 03:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
You wanna name your daughter Oblina?

She mess up your life or something?

Right down there with:

Shibliuquia, Quaitracia, LaTrina (which actually means a Pee Ditch in Spanish), or La'a pronounced "Ladasha" ("cuz' the dash ain't be silent", even though that's an apostrophe)
I saw a birth certificate for a "Latrina" back when I was a public health nurse and we got all the birth certificates in our region. One of our nurses said "maybe they should have just named her Toiletta". I suspect the teen mom did not know what a latrine was. However, these rumors about "Ladasha" (and similar spellings) have never been substantiated.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/le-a/
See quora as well.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:10 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I don't know who Oblina is, but to me it sounds like oblique. Or obelisk.

I'm a teacher and I encounter a lot of awkward names. That one is awkward.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:43 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I think Lina is a great name.
I agree, it’s unusual too, the drag being that if she’s asked to give her name, unless she spells it out, it will be written Lena.
I have trouble with my name in the U.S.
Coming from London, naturally, I have a British accent, and if I’m asked for my name, I say Jean-Francois, which is correctly pronounced Zhon-Frahnswah, as it’s a French derivation.
I’ll see the person who asked, start to write John, so I say, “No, it’s Jean, J E A N.”
Often, they’ll put JeIn, I’ll say, “No, Jay Ee A En”, They say, “I’ve put Jay Ee Eye En.”
Apparently, no matter how hard I try, when I say A, Americans hear I.
It’s probably a mixture of my accent, and American hearing.
There’s no way on God’s green earth that I’m going to mug myself by attempting an American accent, we speak with different accents, and that’s it.
I slow my speech down, and say words that are used in the U.S, e.g., we say sweets, you say candy, you say gas, we say petrol, you say Saran wrap, we say cling film, you say zucchini, we say courgette, to us it’s aubergine, to you it’s egg plant.
The only word I say with a U.S. accent is ranch, if I’m asked in a restaurant, what dressing would you like with your salad, I won’t say rahnch, the British way, I’ll say rannch, the U.S. way, it’s easier for the wait staff to understand.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Oblina is too weird. You'll be making some memories all right, but not good ones. Think of another name.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:04 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Oblina: The Fat Ballerina is the title of my children's book encouraging big girls that they can do anything, even become a ballerina. That's what came to mind, I can't help it.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Hmm, I found this definition of Oblina

"oblìna f (Cyrillic spelling облѝна)

Roundness, plumpness (especially of female body, i.e. breasts and buttocks)
Curve, round part"

Of course, this is the Croatian variation of the word. With that meaning, I guess it could be considered a "female" name (but not in a good way). However, I don't think it sounds very feminine - it just seems like a very awkward name.
Oh the nickname possibilities. "Nice Oblinas you got there".

If you want your daughter to hate you go for it.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I agree, it’s unusual too, the drag being that if she’s asked to give her name, unless she spells it out, it will be written Lena.
I have trouble with my name in the U.S.
Coming from London, naturally, I have a British accent, and if I’m asked for my name, I say Jean-Francois, which is correctly pronounced Zhon-Frahnswah, as it’s a French derivation.
I’ll see the person who asked, start to write John, so I say, “No, it’s Jean, J E A N.”
Often, they’ll put JeIn, I’ll say, “No, Jay Ee A En”, They say, “I’ve put Jay Ee Eye En.”
Apparently, no matter how hard I try, when I say A, Americans hear I.
It’s probably a mixture of my accent, and American hearing.
There’s no way on God’s green earth that I’m going to mug myself by attempting an American accent, we speak with different accents, and that’s it.
I slow my speech down, and say words that are used in the U.S, e.g., we say sweets, you say candy, you say gas, we say petrol, you say Saran wrap, we say cling film, you say zucchini, we say courgette, to us it’s aubergine, to you it’s egg plant.
The only word I say with a U.S. accent is ranch, if I’m asked in a restaurant, what dressing would you like with your salad, I won’t say rahnch, the British way, I’ll say rannch, the U.S. way, it’s easier for the wait staff to understand.
I love the challenge of figuring out what people are saying. I'm partially deaf and pretty much anyone with a "heavy" accent is going to be confusing. Texas, the deep south, New York, most countries other than the U.S.

One of my favorite stories is us leaving The Blue Man Group show at the Luxor years ago. We went to the mezzanine to get some food and there was one table left. We grabbed it and she went to the restroom. Then it was my turn. When I came back there was another couple with her. If it's crowded we always invite others to sit with us.

This couple was from Scotland so the conversation went like this: One of them would say something. I'd look at my wife and she would tell me what they said. I'd answer. After a few of minutes of this we are getting some odd looks. For us it is so "normal" to do this we forget what it looks like to others. Once we explained it they got a good laugh out of it.

And some of the things I think I hear people say! Yikes. I always ask my wife if what I heard is what they said. "No!" is the usual response. We do get some good laughs sometimes.

And the real reason i decided to respond (Finally!). We met a young lady on a flight from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas named Lena. There are young people we meet that give us great hope for the future. She is one of them.

Lena is a great name. Certainly better than Oblina.

Oblini oblina life goes on brahhh
Lala how the life goes on
Oblini oblina life goes on brahhh
Lala how the life goes on

Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Ob is a prefix that means towards and Līna means small. Even etomology wise it’s an awkward word.

Maybe you could find another Līna? Kalina? Talina?

Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I'm not familiar with the Real Monsters. I had to google it. Until then I thought it was a made up name that combined the names of two people or initials or something.

OP--name the baby Oblina and know that if this forum is representative of the people the child will meet during her life, most people will think it's an odd name. Definitely not cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting