Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 02:58 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Why "Oblina"? Women's names that begin with an "O" are usually unattractive. The only exception that I can think of is "Olivia" - which is pretty, but over used.

As others have said, it conjures "obese" "obsessed" "obelisk" "oval""obtuse" "orthopedic" "oral" and other names most girls would find anything but "cute" or "feminine".

I like names that are slightly unique, not made up, and have been heard before. "Slightly unique" does not mean "trashy". It just means that there are not seven other kids in your class with that name.

Where on Earth did you come up with "Oblina"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 03:38 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Thanks for your guidance guys.

Geez I feel silly.

Back to the drawing board...
At least you *asked* first. If I had a dollar for every name out there that made me say "what were their parents thinking?? ... and didn't anyone who knew and loved them SAY something???"...

(I once read the name "Diariah" for a child. I wish I was making this up. I'm sure it was probably pronounced something like "dee-AHR-ee-ah" and yes, it sounds very pretty.... BUT!! NOBODY who knew these parents said, "Oh, dude, NO"? I mean, that's not even a case of "well, it's... weird... but... I wont' say anything and hurt their feelings." That's hard-intervention, "You canNOT give that name to your child!!!" territory!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
To test a name for your child, picture yourself calling it out in the supermarket.

Oblina, where are you?

The name would be interpreted as Blina. ( oh Blina where are you) not good.

Get a baby name book and find something that won't embarrass her over time. She will also grow up to be a woman so don't curse her with Cherry or Bunny or Candy.

Also please, if you have an ethnic last name- for Pete's make make it compatible!!!

Not Erin Pizzarilli or Demetreus Gonzales.....

Thank you & your child will thank you.
It would probably also get spelled as "O'Blina" more often than you'd guess...

I would say people should picture calling it out in a supermarket, picture it at the top of a resume, get really creative and think of the gross and mean things other kids would think of (ask a few if you have to, or the most immature adults you know), imagine it as your name, imagine other people trying to spell/pronounce it, etc. Even think of things like, "If I name her Susie instead of Susan, how much time is she going to spend explaining that no, it's 'just Susie, not Susan or Suzanne'?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I agree, it’s unusual too, the drag being that if she’s asked to give her name, unless she spells it out, it will be written Lena.
I have trouble with my name in the U.S.
Coming from London, naturally, I have a British accent, and if I’m asked for my name, I say Jean-Francois, which is correctly pronounced Zhon-Frahnswah, as it’s a French derivation.
I’ll see the person who asked, start to write John, so I say, “No, it’s Jean, J E A N.”
Often, they’ll put JeIn, I’ll say, “No, Jay Ee A En”, They say, “I’ve put Jay Ee Eye En.”
Apparently, no matter how hard I try, when I say A, Americans hear I.
It’s probably a mixture of my accent, and American hearing.
There’s no way on God’s green earth that I’m going to mug myself by attempting an American accent, we speak with different accents, and that’s it.
I slow my speech down, and say words that are used in the U.S, e.g., we say sweets, you say candy, you say gas, we say petrol, you say Saran wrap, we say cling film, you say zucchini, we say courgette, to us it’s aubergine, to you it’s egg plant.
The only word I say with a U.S. accent is ranch, if I’m asked in a restaurant, what dressing would you like with your salad, I won’t say rahnch, the British way, I’ll say rannch, the U.S. way, it’s easier for the wait staff to understand.
It's American hearing, and human hearing in general. People hear what they expect to hear. If your name is even a tiny bit different from the norm, you can spell it or pronounce it for them but what they hear is the usual spelling/pronunciation. It's the same way you can typo or scramble up a word and people still know what it is because their brain fills in what they know to be correct.

I even know of people with normal-ish names who get them messed up-- used to know a guy with the last name Mason. I told him how great it must be to have an "easy" last name that everyone can spell and pronounce. He said I'd be surprised how often he got "Madison."

Quote:
Everyone seems to name their boys either that or some variation of "Aiden" these days..
Logan. Every kid in the world is named Logan. It's not even that great of a name. Is it just a trend, or are that many people that obsessed with X-Men?

Old 04-06-2019, 04:16 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
At least you *asked* first. If I had a dollar for every name out there that made me say "what were their parents thinking?? ... and didn't anyone who knew and loved them SAY something???"...
Yes, I am very glad that the OP asked first. And so is her future daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Logan. Every kid in the world is named Logan. It's not even that great of a name. Is it just a trend, or are that many people that obsessed with X-Men?
Logan makes me think of Logan's Run.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:42 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, I like "Halina". It's not my kid, of course!
Sorry, but my first thought was "halitosis", or "bad breath". I don't like the looks of either name, either. When my friend planned to name her daughter a somewhat newish name 20 years ago, we wrote out all the different spellings there was to see how it looked, and there were at least 4 that we thought of. We both actually liked the "common sense" spelling.....Kaylee. And so she was named.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:23 PM

18 posts, read 12,744 times
Quote:
What do you guys think of the name "Oblina"? It sounds pretty feminine and cute. Your thoughts?
I think the kid would hate it. If you really like that name, be sure to give her a more common middle name, as an alternative for her to choose. It would be the considerate thing to do.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:26 PM

447 posts, read 208,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't care for the name Hazel at all. I'm also shocked that it appears to be making a comeback. Hopefully Gertrude, Bertha and Hubert won't be coming back in vogue. :-)
Slow your roll Chili lover. I have an Aunt Hazel who is an amazing woman. We call her Aunt Hay. She always favored me and never hid the fact.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:59 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
I had a woman friend once, with an aunt named "Ipecac". They said it was an old family name, from centuries back. She never married or seemed to socialize. I wonder how much that was a result of that name? Beware of handicapping your children with odd names. In some older cultures, a person's adult name wasn't chosen until they'd had a significant experience, that gave the name to them.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I know several youngish Hazels, and none of them remotely resemble the stereotype. Their parents named them for the hazel tree, which traditionally was believed to have powers for good in British and Celtic folklore. Remember the poem starting "I went out to the hazel wood, because a fire was in my head..."? (not that any of the Hazels of my acquaintance have fire in or on their heads!)
IMO, the meaning behind a name should not be given any consideration as in day to day life few will know it or be swayed by it.

An example: A name that means bright and intelligent sounds nice doesn't it?

Well, that name would be Bertha.

A boy's name meaning intelligent.....Egbert.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:25 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
What do you guys think of the name "Oblina"? It sounds pretty feminine and cute. Your thoughts?
Sounds Russian to me.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
IMO, the meaning behind a name should not be given any consideration as in day to day life few will know it or be swayed by it.

An example: A name that means bright and intelligent sounds nice doesn't it?

Well, that name would be Bertha. - "Claire", "Clara" and "Clare" have the same meaning.

A boy's name meaning intelligent.....Egbert.
"Claire", "Clara", and "Clare" have the same meaning as "Bertha", and "Lucy", "Lucia", and "Lucille" also mean "bright" or "light".

"Clarence" is an alternative to "Egbert" - but not much better.

Just don't name your daughter "Ethelinda".

It translates to "Noble Snake" .

Most people do check on the meaning of their own names at some point or another. I would hope expectant parents would do the same when considering what to name their children, in addition to considering the other factors which have been raised in this thread: sound, initials, successful combination with surname, rarity or over used, traditional family name, positive and negative nicknames, and so on.

Although it sounds pleasant, if very frilly and having a Victorian vibe, "Ethelinda" is certainly not what I would ever name a daughter - due to its meaning, mostly, as frilliness and old fashioned flavor can be overcome with a good nickname - usually, not sure what the nickname for "Ethelinda' would be. However, its meaning would persist, and some bright bully or another would likely learn it at some point and put it to good (bad) use in tormenting the name's unfortunate bearer.

Of course, it would be a great name - for a pet snake.

As for finding various naming trends irritating, my pet peeve is using surnames which have no history in a family as first names for children. If you want to use a surname for this purpose, delve into your family history, as you are likely to find a name that would work well, rather than using a surname that has no connection whatsoever with your own family.

I have to smile at those expressing dislike of "Hunter" as a currently trendy given name - it is usually an example of a surname being used by families with no ancestral "Hunters" in their family trees. But it DOES occur as a surname in my own family, through a great grandmother - yet we have no little "Hunters" running around.

Instead, we have a six year old whose parents gave him another surname as a first name just because they liked it. Their choice, of course - but had they shorted the "-son" name their little boy bears, the remaining name was the middle name borne by one of my great uncles, who always was called that rather than "William", his actual first name.

So the young parents of the kindergartner came very close to giving their child a family name - and had they consulted other family members who remembered our wonderful great uncle, they very well might have given their son the shorter version of the name, minus the "son" ending, which would have resulted in a name they liked that actually had a family connection.

Think how confusing future genealogists are going to find the current crop of children with surname-given names that occur nowhere else in the family tree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting