Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:23 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville is a VERY big place. I think you could move there, if it's where you've decided you'd rather be, and still not be on top of your daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 11:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Reminds me of a couple who had a daughter that was getting married. The mother ran everything. Including going with the future son-in-law to pick out his tux.

The kids got married and moved to Florida from Iowa. It took less than six months for mom and dad to follow and buy a house right down the street. Mom ran everything as usual.

The couple had a baby and moved to North Carolina. Yep, mom and dad soon followed.

The couple divorced. Scuttlebutt says the son still loved her, but could not abide having their lives run by mommy dearest.

The daughter moved to Oregon for a new job.

And.....

Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Reminds me of a couple who had a daughter that was getting married. The mother ran everything. Including going with the future son-in-law to pick out his tux.

The kids got married and moved to Florida from Iowa. It took less than six months for mom and dad to follow and buy a house right down the street. Mom ran everything as usual.

The couple had a baby and moved to North Carolina. Yep, mom and dad soon followed.

The couple divorced. Scuttlebutt says the son still loved her, but could not abide having their lives run by mommy dearest.

And.....
It wouldn't surprise me if we see a trend of parents moving into dorms with their college kids. that's next.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

And.....
Yeah this seems like my in-laws. They all followed eachother out west.

They keep trying to get us to come.

Nope, we're good

Old 04-16-2019, 11:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if we see a trend of parents moving into dorms with their college kids. that's next.
LOL. Why stop there? Just accompany them to the bathroom @ this point … wipe their butts.

Endless possibilities

Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
There's no world in which moving to follow your kid to College is not helicoptering, despite all the justifications and rationalizations in the world. She goes her way, you go yours. Or you don't.

BTW, it's fine if you want to helicopter / want/need to save family money on room and board. Keeping tabs on your kid or reducing the overall cost of college is a legitimate reason to move, if it is advantageous for you. Whether it's a good or bad idea depends solely on your situation and the people involved and isn't something I can judge.

But don't kid yourself. No parent moves to an entirely new city just to "have dinner every once in a while."

When I went to College, I saw my family at Christmas and summer break. That was it, and I couldn't have been more pleased. As for my kids... we'll see. I'd like them to strike out completely on their own, but they're too young to know whether they'll be ready, and who knows what our finances will be then.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
I sure wouldn't have wanted my parents to do that, and I wouldn't have done it to my kids either. Why not find another place to live for a few years and move to JAX after your daughter has graduated. I suspect you are not being entirely honest with yourself regarding your motivations to follow your daughter to her college town. I know from experience that empty nest syndrome can be hard, but it is also a chance for growth and rejuvenation as a person.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Retiring somewhere you enjoy is not the same as following your child to college.

One should be a well thought out and planned decision; one appears desperate and helicoptering.
Truth. I'm pretty sure my kids would have been appalled if we had moved to their college towns. We had three though, and they all went to different schools, in different states, so it would have been awkward.

Find another town Mom. Within driving distance is fine, but make sure it isn't within a safety zone that will keep your student from independence.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:28 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hi all,

How many parents out there moved to the city where theyre child attenda college? Good idea/bad idea? Thinking about it, but would live far enough away to not be a pain in the ass and be with her all the time as we want her to be on her own as much as possible. We are also thinking of moving away from south florida anyway as we are not happy here and shes considerng jax for college....thoughts??

One of the main reasons students go to colleges in other cities or states, is to get away from their parents. When I did that, it was the most uplifting experience I'd ever had. Just to wake up every day and know that there would be no parents around to put a damper on my life, was delightful. In many cases, if parents moved to the city where their offspring were attending college, the young people would regard it with dismay. Parents who do that would be putting the relationship with their children at risk.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 PM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
"For many college students, the transition on their minds is to a different college. A 2015 report by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center found that 37.2 percent of college students changed schools at least once within six years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7fa7d7bfc328
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting