Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is taking things away from a child stealing?
Yes 3 2.59%
No 113 97.41%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
How are all the quotes getting mixed up? lol
I know that was why I was so confused... I thought you were bailing LOL

Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,005 times
Well, I know you didn't mean to start a debate and all, but here is my thought on the privilege of use throughout the household. I have worked hard to buy a home, pay for utilities to allow comfort, put food on the table and to furnish it with the items that my family enjoys. I have therefore earned the privilege of use. My kids by default of living with me enjoy the privilege as well but do not understand yet that it did not come from Santa for all of us to enjoy lol. Therefore, while I love for them to enjoy such items as our lovely TV, it is something they will understand is not something to just take for granted.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Exactly vukinjo! Most kids don't realize what they have are privileges--they think these things are what you expect to automatically to come. Now in some situations, this is not true. I believe it was Max's Mom who said that they were really poor, shared their room with their grandma, and had a small black and white TV. In situations like these, the kids know things do not come easily in life, that you have to work for fun things, and you should take care of what you have--because they live it. When this situation is not present, we, as parents, must find a way to impart that knowledge.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
In situations like these, the kids know things do not come easily in life, that you have to work for fun things, and you should take care of what you have--because they live it. When this situation is not present, we, as parents, must find a way to impart that knowledge.
Totally agree... very well put...

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have such things and it is hard to teach your kids that when they have them easily accessable at such a young age.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Well, I know you didn't mean to start a debate and all, but here is my thought on the privilege of use throughout the household. I have worked hard to buy a home, pay for utilities to allow comfort, put food on the table and to furnish it with the items that my family enjoys. I have therefore earned the privilege of use. My kids by default of living with me enjoy the privilege as well but do not understand yet that it did not come from Santa for all of us to enjoy lol. Therefore, while I love for them to enjoy such items as our lovely TV, it is something they will understand is not something to just take for granted.
Thank you for your response.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Your statement helped me to understand you statement about taking away kids tv and would parents apply that to themselves (I think). For me yes. It is equal, but still there are rules. My rules are that I have things to do like clean, cook etc. If I dont get these things done, I do not watch TV. The kids have to do homework, clean room, whatever if they dont get it done, no TV. So IMO, it is an equal privliege.

Is that clear as mud? LOL

As far a breaking things, it depend on if it was an accident, negligence or intentional.
Thank you for your response. I think we understood each other well.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
no it was the right person... I am getting myself all confuse... the debate did start with your post...I wasn't in debate mode until the judgements came flying and exclamation points came into play... everyone was accepting each others views and not challenging them with twisted personal interpretations and accusations...it was very civil...
Exlamation points came into play from your side first. By the way, I'm going to go back to my post (if I can) and clarify myself, so not to get such strong reaction as I got from you.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I completely agree with this. Actually growing up my sister and I didn't have our own anything, not our own tv, we slept in the same room as our grandma, we were really poor.
However, the family tv in the family room belonged to us just like to everyone else in the family. We took pride in our little black and white small tv, we were allowed to turn it on in the certain time of the day and nobody ever threw it in our face of how priviledged we are to use it or that we should be thankful because it was bought with my parents hard-earned money.

ETA: I'm saying this in general sense. Not directed to anyone specific on this thread.

We felt a certain amount of ownership for our stuff and we didn't feel like we are any less members of the family then everyone else.

In your example, there was no equality, there was pure indulgence. It's not about having your own stuff and not being denied anything, it's about feeling equal rights with everyone else.

I do understand what a lot of other posters are saying. There is no one size fits all, with different age, comes different responsibilities. Many believe that equality needs to be earned with age. I understand this position and respect it highly. I was raised however, knowing that my equality is granted to me simply because I'm a part of this family just like anyone else. Therefore I never felt that I should be grateful for using the same items of luxuries as the rest of my family.
Clarifying myself above.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Exlamation points came into play from your side first. By the way, I'm going to go back to my post (if I can) and clarify myself, so not to get such strong reaction as I got from you.
Wow, just when I thought we were done and the dust had settled... might want to pull out those reading glasses and take a closer look... I don't use !!! in any of my responses to you... I am a ... girl myself... but if you want to clarify I think that would be a great idea...Might make a bit more sense then and we wouldn't have this misunderstanding any longer.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,005 times
My question is this...you said you took pride in that TV and never felt that you were supposed to be thankful because it was bought with your parents hard earned money. Why shouldn't you be thankful? And why does that have a negative connotation for you? I want my kids to be thankful for everything we have, I am thankful myself and I paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting