Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:30 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times

Advertisements

Gov. must have a lot of recess...look how tan he is of course he is Greek, but really tan...

and this is the same Gov. who-
"The Governor established the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness to educate and encourage Florida students about leading a healthy and active lifestyle." quote from http://www.flgov.com/gov_biography (broken link)

So what, now recess is taboo???

make your freaking mind up Crist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Infuriating! My child would not attend that school, I WOULD find other options even if it took working 2 jobs to pay for private school and I would let the school/district know why in no uncertain terms. I'd be protesting as a taxpayer as well. That's crazy on so many levels.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Gee and I thought the public schools I attended as a child sucked the life out of you. Children are having to grow up faster and faster all of the time, its sad I wander what will happen in 20 yrs.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times
Thanks so much to all of you for your posts and opinions. I am going to speak out myself as both a parent and a teacher, but wanted an idea as to how most parents probably felt about the whole thing.

As far as Governor Crist, he wants purposeful physical activity in order to increase the kids' levels of physical fitness. Discouraging recess and saying it has to be purposeful and structured is to me like saying to an adult that in order to be physically fit you have to join a gym because running, walking and bike riding don't count.

Nancy

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,164 times
I began my masters in teaching about a year ago. I heard about this happening all over the place due to putting an emphasis on teaching for the standardized tests. I think it is criminal. Long story short, after taking 2 classes, I decided to go in another direction. I just think schools that do this have their priorites mixed up. They don't care about the kids, they care about funding or lack of funding due to test scores. In the end, these kids will suffer because they need to blow off that energy in order to concentrate. Maybe just give the kids some more ritalin and they will behave? It's so sick!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Infuriating! My child would not attend that school, I WOULD find other options even if it took working 2 jobs to pay for private school and I would let the school/district know why in no uncertain terms. I'd be protesting as a taxpayer as well. That's crazy on so many levels.
I'm all fired up here. I agree with you. Parents, and society as a whole need to freak out over this. If they don't these schools will get away with it. No child left behind? My you-know-what!

Old 08-09-2008, 04:01 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
I would be raising a stink in that school! My daughter attended kindergarten in Kentucky. She had recess but no nap. However, they spent a lot of time practicing and taking at least 2 different standardized tests. When I asked my daughter, "What did you do in school today?" She would often reply, "Worked on the Grade test again". Kindergarten should be some work, some play, no standardized tests.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Our school in GA did this with all grades. I went to the principal and told here no recess, no homework because I will have to let my son out to play right after school until betime so he burns off energy and doesn't turn into a ball of flab.
We got other parents to do the same thing and they realized test scores would drop and they'd lose funding so we got recess back. You can't expect a childs mind to stay "on" for the the whole school day, heck as adults our's don't!!
Use the NCLB against them!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:00 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The Administrators have been directed by whom? The school board? They are elected by the parents. As others have said, I would get this into the newspaper and get the parents to put a stop to it.
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if sanity has gone out the window.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
OUTRAGEOUS!!!! My son could not have survived this. He needed the quiet time, snack time, recess time and rest time. No way. This is way too stressful for a five year old. First grade is too regimented already. I am so shocked to hear this.

Back when I was teaching elementary ed (in the early 70s) - we still had nap times along w/ a full recess for kids up to the third grade.

I honestly do not think this is a healthy environment for kids. I hope the parents make their voices heard.

I am so sorry to know this is going on. Not right!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting