Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times

Advertisements

Ok. This baffles me out of my gourd. lol....

It is unhealthy for everyone all-around....what kind of marriage survives this behavior. I know a few people that do this and I want to strangle them lol! I have twins and couldn't imagine them sleeping with us in the same room, let alone same bed for the last 3 years!! NO WAY!!!!and others think it's OK!

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Then you will want to strangle me. My son still sleeps next to us, he is 3 and 3 months. Not in the same bed, but on the mattress right next to us. And we love it! And our sex life doesn't suffer! What do you care about sleeping arrangements of others? If it works for them, great!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
I don't see anything wrong with this, if everyone is happy. There are other places to have sex besides your own bed, you know.

We don't do this, mainly because Dh and I are very restless sleepers and our bed isn't big enough. But we did have our babies sleep attached to the bed for a little while, and yes, sometimes even (gasp!) in the same bed. But I do know families that do it. I guess it doesn't bother you as much as it does puzzle you?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times

My kids hardly slept with us when they were babies, but now, at 8 and 10, they sleep with us a few times a week. On the floor or in bed with me when my hubby is out of town.

Our marriage and sex life have never suffered at all. We still manage some loving at least 3 or 4 times a week. Sex isn't always in the bedroom

Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Why do parents let their kids sleep in their bed or room at all?!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
I understand the benefits of co-sleeping w/ infants (though I don't think its right for me) but what are the supposed benefits of co-sleeping for older children? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
I think it varies for each family.
The thing is, it's in the modern and western world where it is not normality. If you look outside of the modern world, co-sleeping is a very normal thing. For example in third world countries it is very common.

Well, for us, it's more of a convenience, as we only have one bedroom now and I don't want him to sleep in the living room as we spend a lot of time there, we have people over a lot at night, but deep down I still really enjoy the closeness. I'm a working mom. I'm away from my son the entire freaking day. The only time for us to have that closeness is in the evening. I think we both feel good that during the night we still near each other to compensate for the time we are apart during the day.

I know that one day he will have to move to his own bedroom. I'm actually feeling sad about it, but I know IT HAS TO HAPPEN sooner or later. We will deal with it then.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
My understanding, the psychobabbe stuff is that they feel more secure. Around 5 or 6, most kids begin to have a desire for their seperate space and naturally shift to their own bed.

My oldest slept in the same room with us until he was four. My youngest, 21 mo., still sleeps with us. They sleep in the same bed until they are too big, then they sleep in a toddler bed next to our bed. To me, its just the natural way for us. I tried with both my boys to put them in a crib or bassinett, but it didn't feel right. We have then let them continue unti they are ready to be on their own.

Many families across the world co-sleep. In my opinion, neither co-sleeping or seperate sleeping is wrong. It is what works for the family that is important.

I do have a problem with other people taking me to task about it, though. It really doesn't involve them. Co-sleepers and single sleepers all turn out fine.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM

128 posts, read 355,102 times
SORRY, YOU'LL BE DISGUSTED BY ME TOO. my son has slept with us since two months. he's almost two now. if he wants to til he's three, then fine. my husband and i have a great sex life. you can be creative and have meetings in the extra bedroom. lol.
what's important to us is that we have what we love more than anything laying next to us every night. we're fine with that. our marriage doesn't suffer from it. in fact, things are better than ever. my son gets to be the center of our attention day and night. not saying that kids sleeping in their own beds is a bad thing, either. i just think what works for your family - works for your family. period. no one should judge another person for sleeping arrangements, especially of a three year old. that's still a baby in my book. no, i probably won't encourage it to continue as he gets older, but only because he hogs the bed!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Iowagirl--that's how we ended up with the toddler bed next to ours! We tried placing him in his own room, but he would get up and snuggle with us--but he was hogging too much bed. The side-by-side worked wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting