Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:59 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
We no longer teach the child that they are responsible for what they do.... that sometimes bad things happen and it's nobody's fault.... that if you don't achieve a goal, it is not up to the parents to go fighting with officials to "give" you this reward. Sometimes life sucks, nobody promised you life would be fair.... why aren't we preparing our youth for these realities?
Too many parents are too worried what every other parent is doing.

Too many people in this society are willing to blame everyone else for their problems, which include issues they have with their children.

It's no longer 1950, 1960, 1970, or 1980. Everyone wants to compare TODAY to what IT WAS LIKE.

Parents also need to adapt to what is current in this world. This in no way means that parents need to compromise their beliefs.

Stop blaming children for something that is not their fault. Take charge of what is NOW. Give your children a clean slate to grow as they need & do not expect them to meet every expectation you have of them b/c that's how YOU did it. Again, this does not mean not to have expectations or allow for every mistake in the book. Guess it's just common sense parenting

Not fair to our children who can't comprehend something they never lived through or with, etc.

Be the parent you want to be. No parent is perfect. No parent has made 110% right answers. We all mess up & sometimes really bad.

Your kids want to know is that they are loved by you (they need to hear it), that you are CONSISTENT with them, that they are safe in their home (basic needs are met), and that you are proud of them.

Life isn't fair, but it's good. That is the theme in my life & family.

When you are faced with a problem, overcome it. Mom & Dad are here to help. We are not here to fix the problem (common sense applied), but we are always here to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
Common sense..forget it!

Most parents are afraid of their own kids. They want to be buddies!
While in conversation with this one woman, she casually mentioned ds yellling at her, and just kept rolling on, as if it's no biggie.. kinda like a normal occurance. Please..nobody yells at big mamma in my house!

Besides, people care more about "keeping up with the Joneses" than parenting!
Yes, but the thing that always gets me is....would these people have 'friends' who treat them as badly as they allow their own children to treat them? Mostly not, but there are some pretty weak minded people around who don't mind being a doormat for everybody and their cousin.

I expect a lot from my kids, I told DS the other day that if was my employee he would be fired (for something he 'forgot' do, he's been having that problem often lately), but since he is my kid he can just be my slave for the weekend in the hopes that he won't 'forget' to take care of his responsibilities again. I think he'd rather just be fired...LOL

Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,694,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When you get the answer to that one, please let me know. I've been wondering the same for quite some time....
And when she gives you the answer could you send it to me because I wanna the answer too!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Too many parents are too worried what every other parent is doing.

Too many people in this society are willing to blame everyone else for their problems, which include issues they have with their children.

It's no longer 1950, 1960, 1970, or 1980. Everyone wants to compare TODAY to what IT WAS LIKE.

Parents also need to adapt to what is current in this world. This in no way means that parents need to compromise their beliefs.

Stop blaming children for something that is not their fault. Take charge of what is NOW. Give your children a clean slate to grow as they need & do not expect them to meet every expectation you have of them b/c that's how YOU did it. Again, this does not mean not to have expectations or allow for every mistake in the book. Guess it's just common sense parenting

Not fair to our children who can't comprehend something they never lived through or with, etc.

Be the parent you want to be. No parent is perfect. No parent has made 110% right answers. We all mess up & sometimes really bad.

Your kids want to know is that they are loved by you (they need to hear it), that you are CONSISTENT with them, that they are safe in their home (basic needs are met), and that you are proud of them.

Life isn't fair, but it's good. That is the theme in my life & family.

When you are faced with a problem, overcome it. Mom & Dad are here to help. We are not here to fix the problem (common sense applied), but we are always here to help.
I live in the modern world. I am no way shape or form stuck in the past. I demand respect and in return give respect. I love them all, tell them often, show them by spending time and reprimanding them. I can't count how many times I've told one of the kids that "I'm not angry, I am just trying to teach you that (insert offense here.... example.. you need to make sure your teeth are brushed) that is what a momma is for...." I do not expect the kids to live in my generation, but I do expect them to live in this world.... a world that is not here to cater to them and their desires. I am not raising kids... I am raising three future adults.

121804, I think we are on the same page, just different approaches.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
121804, I think we are on the same page, just different approaches.
We are

I think too that as parents, it does a parent good to hear/see/experience different approaches. To insist that your way is the only/right way is not allowing yourself to grow as a parent. Again, common sense applies to this statement. It's not a blanket statement by any means...

An example of not adapting to change: Voters in our city who state they are not voting for the school levy (which is mainly about bussing) b/c when they went to school they walked. They seem to think that elementary school walking on a very busy main road that does not have sidewalks is safe.... THAT is the mindset I am referring to...inability & refusal to adapt to modern society based on the past & this is actually detrimental to children.

Rockinmomma, I wasn't using "you" to specifically refer to YOU, but I think you got it.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
I am not raising kids... I am raising three future adults
If more people thought this way it would help immensely! I can never understand adults who don't enjoy being around their own kids...aren't you raising them to be people you WANT to be around?

Quote:

Can I also add they need to know that you are there for them and still love them when they screw up - 'cause mark my words, they will screw up. Despite our best efforts they will make some bad choices and they need to feel safe coming to you (not to fix but to guide)....

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-23-2009 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Default Parenting Common Sense

I agree!!! What has happened to good old common sense? As a preschool teacher I am shocked at the behavior of these children. They have no respect whatsoever for adults. I would NEVER have dreamt of talking to an adult the way 3's and 4's talk to me. When my parents asked me if I had a good day, they meant,"Did I have a good time?" Now it means "Were you a good boy/girl today?"; "Were you respectful to your teacher?" My parents never had to ask me if I was "good" or "respectful--it was a given. These days parents give their children rewards for being good at school. WHY!?! If I was ever disrespectful to ANY adult I would have been given something alright--and I promise you it wasn't a special reward. I had fun, loving, supportive,wonderful parents who were also very strict. Thank goodness for that!!! As for my own children, I have always been told what good and sweet kids they are. They are not always angels at home but they know exactly how to behave out in public.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Common Sense left parenting... at about the same time it left the Human Race in general...

Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
I am by no means a perfect parent. I wonder sometimes what has happened to common sense when it comes to parenting. From the little things like making you child pour his/her own juice by the time they start school to expecting your child to actually be held accountable for their own homework and assignments.

I see so many parents (not just here, but other places) wringing their hands because their child won't do this or their child acts inapporprately in this situation. When did we give control over to the child?

I am not even talking about dicipline.... it is about respect, honor, compassion, and understanding. We no longer teach the child that they are responsible for what they do.... that sometimes bad things happen and it's nobody's fault.... that if you don't achieve a goal, it is not up to the parents to go fighting with officials to "give" you this reward. Sometimes life sucks, nobody promised you life would be fair.... why aren't we preparing our youth for these realities?
Did you ever read the Little House books, or see the TV show? Remember Nellie Olsen? She had a little brother, Willie, who was worse. These are fictional characters, of course, but they were based on real people, and every one of us remembers little hellions from our youth. When I was eight, a six-year-old boy named Silas attacked me with stick and slashed me enough to make me bleed in more than one place. His mother couldn't control him and he was six. This was 30 years ago. Nellie Olsen was 130 years ago. Spoiled, unruly, unmanageable brats have always existed, and they will always exist. You just see more of them now because you have an adult perspective and there are probably a lot more people around you.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM

368 posts, read 929,117 times
I totally agree with you but it's also about the stimuli around kids these days - the age of swiping instead of reading and turning pages, how cursive is no longer taught in schools (because we have laptops and e-sigs!), even TV shows that don't even teach a lesson anymore. It's all about violence and/or sarcasm - Kick Buttowski, Power Rangers, The Amazing World of Gumball, etc., "kids" shows that last only 25 minutes and involve explosions, kicking someone's butt, dominating someone with colors, noises, characters zinging all over the screen vs. an hour-long show that keeps your interest, and *calmly* tells a fable that can be applied not only in childhood but in adulthood!

I do have a quandary of my own and I am having a hard time teaching it. How do you teach respect for one's elders? My kids, especially my older one, does think he knows everything (he actually said to his little brother "I'm the genius of everything" which would've been funny except I know he really thinks it's true) and questions me all the time. Questioning is part of childhood but match that with rolling eyes (which his little brother is now learning) and an exasperated sigh, I'm ready to lop his head off. DH and I correct his behavior with discussions, discipline, whatever, and he still doesn't really understand what "respect" really means ("I do what you say" - but that's not even it). Any advice on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting