Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

My 14 year old is pretty much an expert marksman! He has a whole cache of airsoft and BB guns. We go out into the desert and shoot at our targets together - and I'm his mom!!! I see nothing wrong with it. Granted we don't have a bunch of real guns in our house, but I can see us buying him a real gun at some point when he's older. In fact, we discussed finding a gun club to put him in. He is really good. We go to carnivals and county fairs and this kid is winning all the stuffed animals and prizes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My 14 year old is pretty much an expert marksman! He has a whole cache of airsoft and BB guns. We go out into the desert and shoot at our targets together - and I'm his mom!!! I see nothing wrong with it. Granted we don't have a bunch of real guns in our house, but I can see us buying him a real gun at some point when he's older. In fact, we discussed finding a gun club to put him in. He is really good. We go to carnivals and county fairs and this kid is winning all the stuffed animals and prizes!
Wait till he discovers girls....

Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Take a stroll thru this thread,you'll see besides guitar it is my other hobbie.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hobbi...asts-here.html

what do I think?Playing with certain toys doesn't always make a kid brainwashed,errr but maybe sometimes it does...because

When I was young around 5 or 6 I found some doll,barbie type doll.It was a brunette that was anatomically correct on top,very anatomically correct.Might sorta explain my preference for brunettes with blessed barbie type correctness now.My dad told me he was worried that I was playing wil a girls doll lol,he got me a GIJoe which I liked also only for the "guy" aspects about it.

My dad was military,a member of a target shooting team,when I was 8 or 9 he started taking me out to shoot.I was taught safety and the fear of death from him if I ever touched one without his consent.

There is nothing wrong with it,as long as morals and safety are taught.Guess between that barbie doll and that GIJoe's rifle I learned to appreciate 2 kinds of "big guns"

Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM

318 posts, read 820,784 times
I had a fascination with guns when I was a little kid too. Although the outcome was a tad negative, I'm thinking of joining the military for some character building. You should always couple something possibly destructive with something, anything constructive.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It was hysterical. Rarely does somebody so pious get such a public comeuppance.

I mean, what four year old boy hasn't picked up a cotton-picking stick and said, "Bang!"
*raises hand*

that would be my boys.....lol......aside from the lack of interest, they are non-verbal too.....

Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Yeah, congratulations, your son is a real boy. I don't know about 8 years old, but, soon, try to take him to the range and let him shoot for real.

If you get him a first rifle, take a look at the Savage youth single-shot bolt rifles, with the "Accu-trigger", my first few rifles were impossible for me to shoot because of a very heavy, sharp-edged trigger that I just could not mange at age around 10. Still have my first 'real' rifle, a Remington single shot, the first one with a trigger I could more or less manage.

If you can arrange for a peep sight as well, then you are going to start him out right.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Boys are not born with an admiration for guns. They imitate what they see, like most kids will, on film and in real life. Men have historically dominated the roles of those who carry a gun (cowboys, soldiers and police officers). Boys will aspire to that.

I never brought toy guns into the house; I still stand by that. I am not criticizing those who do. Obviously, with the right guidance, a child can play and be taught responsibility. I just felt that doing so would diminish the amount of responsibility that comes with owning and handling a weapon of any kind.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Boys are not born with an admiration for guns.
Heh, I know I love how every one acts as if a kid pops out of the vagina liking certain things.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:57 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Boys are not born with an admiration for guns.
There isn't anything wrong with admiration of them though,it doesn't have to equate to admiration of violence,that only depends on other aspects taught to the kid.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Heh, I know I love how every one acts as if a kid pops out of the vagina liking certain things.
Perhaps you should read up on the nature vs. nurture theory and realize that MANY personality traits are INHERITED, meaning genetic predisposition, rather than nurture, instilled by caregivers....

Boys are more likely to be more physical and have more of a fascination with weapons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting