Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well we are a blatant case of where this did not hold true. But we've already beaten that to death. Which is exactly where this thread is going. Good grief.
The cases where divorce is good for kids are cases where children never should have been born into the marriage in the first place. You're talking cases of abuse and neglect. Definitely cases where the couple in questions should not have been bringing children into a bad situation. So the fact that divorce is better for some kids doesn't disprove what I'm saying. It's actually an example of what I'm claiming.

Even a good divorce isn't good for kids unless they're being released from an intolerable situation by the divorce but then you have to ask why parents are bringing children into intolerable situations? Like my mom. Why she had two kids with a man who was bi-polar is beyond any of our comprhension. Yes, the divorce was good for us but it would have been better for her to have waited a few years to start having babies because she would have figured out that he had a problem before we were brought into the picture. Of course, we're talking the late 1950's here and BC wasn't that reliable. It's not like today when you can pick when you have kids for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
For those who haven't figured it out, there is nothing that is going to convince me that having children before you give yourself a chance to grow up, get an education and get on your feet is a smart move. It's risky any way you slice it. Fortunately, most do ok in spite of the risks but some kids pay a heavy price for their parents folly. Too bad they don't count. They should.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
You have an amazing ability to read only what you believe, into someone's post. That is nowhere near what I said. And I am not debating this, again, with you. Good GRIEF woman.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Anyways, back to something of nutritional value......

I spoke to my son about starting this thread. He told me that he could see me at 70 still playing practical jokes and dancing salsa, so it wouldn't make a difference how old I was when I had him.

I asked him how he'd like to plan his family. He said he wants to start soon. He'll be 21 in a couple of months. It's not because I am biased that I say this, though I am proud, he is one of the most honorable, hard working, responsible gentlemen I know. So, I think he will be a wonderful parent and husband.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Anyways, back to something of nutritional value......

I spoke to my son about starting this thread. He told me that he could see me at 70 still playing practical jokes and dancing salsa, so it wouldn't make a difference how old I was when I had him.

I asked him how he'd like to plan his family. He said he wants to start soon. He'll be 21 in a couple of months. It's not because I am biased that I say this, though I am proud, he is one of the most honorable, hard working, responsible gentlemen I know. So, I think he will be a wonderful parent and husband.
Does he have a girlfriend?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I was 20 with my first and 23 with my second and so far it's worked out great. I love being a mommy and being young at the same time. By the time I'm 40, then my husband and I can travel and do all the fun things together we've always wanted to do. And being young will allow me to have a better chance at knowing my grandchildren into their adulthood, as i lost two of my grandparents by the time i was 12. It wasn't fun...

Let me also add for the snooty people, that i AM married and my husband finished his education and is makeing a 6 figure salary and that has allowed me to stay home with my children and raise them instead of using daycare.

So being young and having kids doesnt mean you dropped out of HS or college. Sheesh!! Such closed minded people!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
For those who haven't figured it out, there is nothing that is going to convince me that having children before you give yourself a chance to grow up, get an education and get on your feet is a smart move. It's risky any way you slice it. Fortunately, most do ok in spite of the risks but some kids pay a heavy price for their parents folly. Too bad they don't count. They should.
For those that haven't figured it out, there is nothing that is going to convince me that everyone is exactly the same and everyone should wait until they're 30 to have children and everyone should have a college education and everyone should wait to see if their marriage is going to "stick".

Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Does he have a girlfriend?
No....lol. He had better get one quick if wants to start soon, eh?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
No....lol. He had better get one quick if wants to start soon, eh?
that's the way to pull in the ladies...

Him: Hi I am almost 21 and I am looking for a woman to make babies with ASAP
Her: Uh? Would you like your receipt?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
that's the way to pull in the ladies...

Him: Hi I am almost 21 and I am looking for a woman to make babies with ASAP
Her: Uh? Would you like your receipt?

Pity that's the extent of your thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting