Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Ok, just found out its a girl. I have a sea-saw relationship with my own mother so I'm really scared to raise a girl. I'm afraid I might be as toxic to a girl as my own mother was to me.
I have 2 daughters and cannot love my family life more. I didn't have a great relationship with my father growing up and I think that because you and I both recognize that we need to raise our kids differently, that is step 1 in not making the same mistakes. It's very hard because you do what you know how to do and I often find myself having to take a step back and mentally curse myself for saying something that sounds exactly like something my dad would say to me. You are not going to be a perfect parent but it would help you and your daughter to decide (before she comes into this world) a few things that you will absolutely NOT do (or say). I have a list...it's only about 5 things that I think are major but things that I hated growing up. You will be doing your daughter a huge favor to not repeat the mistakes that your mother made. Think of it as not only a gift to her, but to her kids as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Ok, just found out its a girl. I have a sea-saw relationship with my own mother so I'm really scared to raise a girl. I'm afraid I might be as toxic to a girl as my own mother was to me.
You are not your mother. Your relationship with your daughter is a blank slate for you to write in. Enjoy.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
It's Caitlin, by the way, and I bet there are but a handful of Caitlins in the US that actually pronounce it anywhere near the right way, but I digress. If spelled Caitlin, I don't mind the name, even if it is uber popular. All the other spelling are (IMNSHO) wrong. (And Chelsea is spelled as such..Chelsea. It is a place name, and (again, IMNSHO) should not be altered for creative purposes...)

If you are concerned with your daughter not having to spell out her name, may I ask... why the heck are you throwing that hyphen in the middle? You don't think she'll have to make sure to point that out every time she has to fill in a form or spell the name over the phone?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
It's Caitlin, by the way, and I bet there are but a handful of Caitlins in the US that actually pronounce it anywhere near the right way, but I digress.
What other pronunciation is there?
I've only ever heard the one: Kate. Lynn.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The more popular spelling is Kaitlyn according to Social Security Names for the year 2008. The name started showing up in the top 1000 names in 1983. I wonder if it is a new "made up" name?
Goodness, no- it's a "real" name. It's the Irish Gaelic form of Catherine. All of the bastardizations such as Katelynn, Caytlin, etc are either parents trying to be creative or just not knowing how to spell it to begin with.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Goodness, no- it's a "real" name. It's the Irish Gaelic form of Catherine. All of the bastardizations such as Katelynn, Caytlin, etc are either parents trying to be creative or just not knowing how to spell it to begin with.
Thank you, the only reason I asked is because the name didn't appear in the top 1000 most popular names in the US until 1983.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
What other pronunciation is there?
I've only ever heard the one: Kate. Lynn.
It's hard for me to convey in writing, but this is as close as I can get- koytch-leen, or koyt-leen (you wouldn't really hear the "ch" sound, but there's a little something there other than the "t" sound..).

FOUND IT! Woot!
http://inogolo.com/audio/Caitlin_2924.mp3

Last edited by deerislesmile; 06-02-2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: found audio file

Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 AM

467 posts, read 983,518 times
I always liked Amy, Tracy and Tammy for girl names for some reason. Sounds very cute, innocent and friendly and gives a nice image of some nice, fairly attractive young woman.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
You could always give her a different nickname. Most likely kids would probably end up calling her Sher/Cher for short anyways. Same with Cheyenne, she'd probably be called Shy. It seems that kids don't go past the first few letters of a kid's name when they call out to them.
I wouldn't mind her being called Shy - I would actually split it up so her first name would be Shai than her middle name Ann but I'd still call her Shai Ann. All the older people in my family go by first and middle names; Mary Jo, Annie Jean, Sandra Kay, etc but outside of the family they're just Mary. Annie or Sandra. It's like pre-made nicknames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
You don't have to fall in with the "Top 20 Baby Names" lemmings, but let your child develop their own personality and grow into who they are going to be without trying to first jump a hurdle of a dumb name.
I agree as far as dumb names such as "Blanket" but I took offensive to your comment about people with names like Shaniqua won't be taken seriously and means parents have a tramp stamp. Shaniqua isn't a "dumb" name but lately it's been used in correlation with words like "ghetto" and some people think "ghetto" is synonymous with black. So I read your comment as "if you give your child a black sounding name they won't be taken seriously and teachers won't pay as much attention to your child, etc."

I don't have a problem with unique names. I have friends who have married other nationalities; my girlfriend named her daughter Marisol Lopez - people are probably going to be caught a little off guard when they see she's black.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM

305 posts, read 1,233,692 times
Quote:
Well, the baby will grow up. So I want a name that enables a child to move from boardroom to bedroom without any hiccups. Some names are only suitable for "small babies" but tend to be ridiculous for a grown man/woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting