Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times

Advertisements

I've never had a problem saying things to other people's kids when I felt a need. Now what I say and how I say it will be dictated by the type of issue and where we are.

For instance, in the OP's situation I would have actually addressed my own child quite loudly with..."Uh oh. You are going to have to watch out! That big kid is acting very dangerous and I don't want you to get hurt!" Then follow it up shortly with "We might have to leave if she keeps running wild." Then when the inevitable crash happened and the girl went hysterical I'd simply say...."That's what happens when you don't play safely. I'm so sorry you got hurt by her even though you were following the rules." No direct confrontation, but certainly making it clear what was going on and top it off with teaching my child right from wrong.

I've been known to be really nice and ask another child to please be careful. I've often warned kids about behavior with a firm tone. I've even been known to walk up to the big kid pushing on the slide and give them the evil eye while hissing at them to get down, now while mom is no where nearby.

I can't say I've ever directly said anything to a parent unless the child has gone to them to tattle on me. Then I simply explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
I remember those years all too well. There almost always seems to be at least one child who is significantly bigger and more hyper-stimulated then the rest, sort of 'running' the playground. I would not hesitate to use a calm & friendly "mom" voice and offer up a non-confrontational "let's be careful, kids" warning when I saw things getting out of control.

If my daughter behaved in such an awful manner in public that another parent stepped in and scolded her I would be greatly shamed and apologetic for being so negligent. Unfortunately, a lot of parents today feel that children are subject to too many rules, and should be allowed more freedom to 'express" themselves. I totally disagree with that philosophy but hey - that's just me.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,904,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of parents today feel that children are subject to too many rules, and should be allowed more freedom to 'express" themselves. I totally disagree with that philosophy but hey - that's just me.
I actually agree with that statememt. However, they also need to learn there's a time and a place for everything. Outside in a park where there is more space, noone cares if they run around or even yell and scream. I would still insist that they are careful around other children so that their antics does translate in to someone getting hurt. They still need to learn ettiquette. Don't push someone else off of the swing just because you want it. Wait your turn on the slide. Those types of things.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,709,455 times
The play zones I've seen are meant (and signed for) infants, toddlers and little people. You'd think the soft foam fruit and spinning, mirrored alphabet might give it away...but we see kids in the 8-10 range trampling all over the place. That was a big problem at the malls in FL and to a slightly lesser degree here...I've noticed the parents here tend to pay a little more attention, even if their kids are simply too old and big to be there.
(When I was that age I would have had no interest in playing in a baby zone. What's up with that, anyway?)

Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
You're 3 year old was standing still and the 7 year old slammed into him AND she got the fat lip? Nice!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I remember those years all too well. There almost always seems to be at least one child who is significantly bigger and more hyper-stimulated then the rest, sort of 'running' the playground. I would not hesitate to use a calm & friendly "mom" voice and offer up a non-confrontational "let's be careful, kids" warning when I saw things getting out of control.

If my daughter behaved in such an awful manner in public that another parent stepped in and scolded her I would be greatly shamed and apologetic for being so negligent. Unfortunately, a lot of parents today feel that children are subject to too many rules, and should be allowed more freedom to 'express" themselves. I totally disagree with that philosophy but hey - that's just me.
I agree.

When a kid is wildly running around, creating an obvious safety hazard for other (often much smaller) children, the parent(s) of said kid are either totally oblivious and can't be bothered (too busy on the cell phone or blackberry) or they really don't give "a you know what". They figure they have just as much of a right to be there as you do and if you don't like it you can leave. That seems to be the mentality, anyway.

Is it even possible to shame people like that?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

Is it even possible to shame people like that?

Sure it is.

Stop the ruffian,parade him in front of every parent and loudly say, "Hey, is this your spoiled crotchfruit?"

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM

282 posts, read 526,456 times
I was at the park one day and my 2 boys were playing pirates...they were running around the playground with their imaginary swords and guns pretending they were pirates. While they were playing a lady comes up to me and says.."will you tell your boys to stop shooting their guns" and I said they don't have guns...and she said "well, they are running around acting they they are shooting, my son does not play like that and I don't want him seeing that"(her boy was just standing their watching them) so I told her that they were just playing and I am not going to tell them to stop playing and that there were plenty of other playgrounds in the area and if she didn't like it she could leave! So she yelled at me that I needed to learn how to be a parent and grabbed her kid and literally drug him off the playground. I had all I could do to not not get in her face and tell her what I really thought...my boys were not putting anyone else in danger, they were the only kids besides her boy that were on the playground...she just didn't like WHAT they were playing but that is just an example how people parent differently...what is ok to one parent is not ok with another and it is not our job to tell another parent how to be a parent.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Sure it is.

Stop the ruffian,parade him in front of every parent and loudly say, "Hey, is this your spoiled crotchfruit?"
LOL. Post of the day!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Sure it is.

Hahahahaha! I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting