Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times

Advertisements

I became a real estate agent
I have flexable hours and still make good money
and i get to look in all the cool new houses
even the million dollar ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times
OH!!!!! I am just so excited after reading all of the posts! I really am wasting my time sleeping every day! I changed my pattern today and went to Costco (LOVE that place) right after dropping the kids off rather than sleeping on the couch.

After reading what everyone does it makes me feel guilty for treating my self this way. Thanks so much for giving me the boost I need to get back into life.

By the way, my boys are 14, 9 and 6. The 9 year old is ADHD so he took up a LOT of my time since he was born. Now he is learning to control himself so doesn't need my attention nearly as much. For those who asked me how I could be bored, maybe it is because he did take up my time 24 hours a day for 9 years so I forgot how to do anything else let alone have a positive self image.

I love the ebay idea. I have stuff I beaded, painted rocks, paintings, paper cut outs, painted shirts, beaded or painted candle holders, painted flower pots, painted skulls....the list is endless. I have been making these things and then storing them.

Well, now I am just babbling! So, off to learn about ebay.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Whatever you do, dont feel guilty Skoe. I think many men, and women without children underestimate the amount of mental and physical work that actually goes into looking after children, especially when youre at home on your own and the dad is working. I used to be a stay at home dad for about the first 1.5 years of my first son and i was absolutely exhausted after a day. Youve done it for years and its your right to take some me time and kick back on the couch. Hobbies are definately the way to go.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 PM

688 posts, read 2,836,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
OH!!!!! I am just so excited after reading all of the posts! I really am wasting my time sleeping every day! I changed my pattern today and went to Costco (LOVE that place) right after dropping the kids off rather than sleeping on the couch.

After reading what everyone does it makes me feel guilty for treating my self this way. Thanks so much for giving me the boost I need to get back into life.

By the way, my boys are 14, 9 and 6. The 9 year old is ADHD so he took up a LOT of my time since he was born. Now he is learning to control himself so doesn't need my attention nearly as much. For those who asked me how I could be bored, maybe it is because he did take up my time 24 hours a day for 9 years so I forgot how to do anything else let alone have a positive self image.

I love the ebay idea. I have stuff I beaded, painted rocks, paintings, paper cut outs, painted shirts, beaded or painted candle holders, painted flower pots, painted skulls....the list is endless. I have been making these things and then storing them.

Well, now I am just babbling! So, off to learn about ebay.
Skoe,
You should never feel guilty for giving yourself a break!
I did the same thing when my daughter started going to school and watched tv, slept on the couch, played on the computer.....there's nothing wrong with that! Besides, your number one job is MOM! And you much deserve a nice nap if you want!
I've always wanted to get into doing something with my mom involved. Making money from home, that is. She is pushing social security age but has recently become disabled and is on workman's comp right now.....I'm hoping to start a mom and daughter biz with her since she has no real retirement fund or anything....she will not have to live just by SS alone if I can help it!
Ebay is a good start, you should try it out slow and see how you like it!
Best Wishes!
~LuLu

Old 05-17-2007, 01:47 PM

206 posts, read 939,106 times
I agree that taking classes at the local community college is a fun, productive outlet for moms. Also, I read a lot (most political and non-fiction), also volunteer at my daughter's school 1 day a week, and volunteer w/ local political groups. I also coach a soccer team. There are so many places to volunteer, it's great you get to meet new people, get out and learn something new and help out your community.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:29 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Whatever you do, dont feel guilty Skoe. I think many men, and women without children underestimate the amount of mental and physical work that actually goes into looking after children, especially when youre at home on your own and the dad is working. I used to be a stay at home dad for about the first 1.5 years of my first son and i was absolutely exhausted after a day. Youve done it for years and its your right to take some me time and kick back on the couch. Hobbies are definately the way to go.
This is so true! It's really nice to see that men feel the same way when they stay home as well.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM

841 posts, read 4,840,559 times
Default home franchises

One thing to check out might be GatorFranchise.com. I think that's the correct name. They list a lot of franchises that you can be a part of from home. Just a thought as you mentioned you'd like to make a little money from home.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Beleive me, i felt the stress and definately appreciate my wife staying home now.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
What would you like to do? Perhaps while your kids are in school, you too could be in school. Once you decide what it is you would like to do, go to school for it and start earning your degree in that field. Then once you have your degree maybe you could work the hours you want to work. You have a golden opportunity right now to go to school - you have a husband who doesn't want you to work, so school would be ideal. I had to work a full-time job and go to law school at night and was exhausted all the time, but it was so worth it. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Guilt is a normal thing. Says she is who is totally guilt ridden over most free time I have.

I say go to the local college and sign up for any kind of class. You will meet others in the same situation and never know what network you can get to know.

I am thinking of going back to school when the kids are in college. I know its a long time off(about 10 years), but its a goal. Until then I will work and be home as much with them.
dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting