Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,974 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about this case and as the mother of four I cannot help but think that these parents should have known better than to leave three small children in a hotel room alone while they went out to dinner. I do not care if the restaurant was ( I think I read ) fifty feet away. Was this four year old child supposed to be "babysitting" the younger two? In the U. S. parents have been reported to CPS for child neglect for less than what these parents did. Even if the kids were all sleeping something could have still happened to one of them.

When my kids were much younger I lived in an apartment where we had to go to a laundry room in back of the building to wash clothes. I used to have to put the little one in her stroller push with one hand and carry clothes with the other if I had to wash clothes and my husband was not home to watch her. I also had an upstairs neighbor and would occasionally have to go up to her apartment for a few minutes. I think it was the very first time I did this I left my two year old downstairs with her three older siblings with instructions to watch her for a few minutes. I got back the front door was wide open and my two year old was missing. We found her out by the road so I NEVER EVER did that again.

My youngest is ten years old now and while she is severely autistic I STILL thank GOD that nothing happened to her that night.I cannot even tolerate the THOUGHT that I would have been at fault if anything had happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Angry Where is Maddie?

I need to believe that before a child (an angel from God ) is hurt or killed, their little souls are way already in heaven before they hurt. I sit here wondering what that little angel is going thru. Scared, wants her mommy and daddy. Are they feeding her? Are they taking good care of her?

I believe from the bottom of my heart that people like that should not be put to death. I think they should go through the same nightmare these little angels went through. I do not believe people like that should have any rights.
If you do not have the stomach to do this, let me know and I'll be more than happy to do so.

For the parents, I can not imagine what they are going through. I don't know this little girl but is really tearing me apart. What an angelic face. What beautiful eyes. I can not understand how can parents knowing how the world is out there would leave their small children alone in a strange place?
What the Heck where they thinking? I do not know if to feel sorry for them or blame them for what happened? If it was because of their negligence the should be punish. Every day, we have a child taken away. What where these
two ignorant people thinking?

I pray to the Lord that Maddie is found alive and well.

You know, everyday is something. Think about it. Why is there so much juvenile delinquencies? Let me tell you why.
The economy, well not just the economy but businesses, coorporates, etc.,
forces both parents to go to work. There is no one at home when the children come home from school. The only person available is the junkie, the criminal, the child abuser you know the neighbor. Child care centers are killing people with their prices.

Who has made this world a living hell? We have. We have gotten so lazy that we would rather have some ignorant moron dictating our lives. You can not discipline your children because they will take your children away. If we did care, we as a people can move mountains, but if we keep on the way we are going. we are not going to loose our children but everything good that our people before us died for.
Maybe in 10 years from now the US will look like the picture Mad Max. We thought that our country was untouchable guess what? They, terrorist as well as some of own people open the door for destruction. People, we need to get off our lazy butts and help our sons and daughters as well as our country. At one time Kennedy said, Don't ask what you country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. Well, now is time to say, we us?

Thank you.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,470,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
I do not care if the restaurant was ( I think I read ) fifty feet away. Was this four year old child supposed to be "babysitting" the younger two? In the U. S. parents have been reported to CPS for child neglect for less than what these parents did. Even if the kids were all sleeping something could have still happened to one of them.
Exactly.. I think the parents are at fault here.. They should not have left the kids alone under any any circumstances. All said and done, I hope and pray the little child is found soon and reunited with her parents..

Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I have 4 children and I cannot imagine my life without any of them, so I cannot imagine what these parents are going through.
Despite that, who leaves 3 very young children alone in a motel room while they go eat? These are not red-neck trailer trash that just fell off the turnip truck, these are two highly educated physicians. If anyone should know better they should.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,437 times
i agree its there fault you dont leave little children to babysit each other even if they were sleeping and also they were on vacation not even in the same country you just dont do that they should know better
i feel really bad for them though and i know they must be going thru hell
if only you can turn back time

Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Who in there right mind would leave 3 young children alone in a hotel room in a foreign country ?? When my children were small and we were on holidays in Europe I never let them out of my sight for a second.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't leave my children alone in a motel room in the US!!! Forget overseas, and at that age? They are babies.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 14,047 times
Hi everybody! I live in Portugal and like most of the Portuguese people I'm really hoping Maddie appears alive. This has been from the very beginning a very strange case and so we felt strongly touched by maddie's "abduction". Much has been reported and commented both on these parents' attitude (Although I live here and as native speak the language, my husband and I have never left our boys alone in a resort) as well on the Portuguese Police. As far as I'm concerned and basing my opinion on evidence, I assure you that our police are one of the best in the world and have been working in close cooperation with the British police. Moreover, and this makes me and the rest of people really sad, this story won't have a happy end. Be sure that the police know much more than they may say. Their silence (the police's) - there are more silences - has been strongly criticised by the press, the British press. Let's trust them! There will be news soon.
As a mother, the best I could hear would be the little girl is alive.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM

Lidia, as a lady actually living in Portugal, is this an unusual situation in your country or not? Have things like this happened much before or was this particular resort or maybe resorts there in general unsafe? I am just asking as an American not know anything about the area or safety issue there. I think we would all be interested in your opinion on this. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,500 times
I also put the blame on the parents (just as much as on the abductor). If not for them being negligent, there would not have been an opportunity for someone to take their daughter. I'm sorry, but good parents do not leave a 4 year old and two 2 year olds alone and unsupervised in a hotel room just so they can have dinner. I hope their adults only dinner was worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting