Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Most of the kids I know today DON'T get spankings and they are walking video-game addicted zombies who know little about right and wrong, much less basic respect and how to treat others.
We don't spank our daughter, but I don't think an occasional swat messes up a kid for life. However to say that kids who aren't spanked are "video-game addicted zombies who know little blah blah blah" is ridiculous. I know countless kids who were never spanked and who are lovely, smart well-behaved children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
And people wonder why the current generation has problems! When I was in school, I can't really remember "bad stuff" (kids consistently failing tests, school fights, cliques of spoiled princesses, etc.) happening. IMO, since corporal punishment has been banned in so many schools, I've seen a rise in that stuff.
When I was in school, back in the good ol' days of spankings (late 60's-70's) kids were selling pot in elementary school, having fights, walking around in cliques of spoiled princesses, failing grades, etc., etc., etc. Banning corporal punishment did not bring about social ills.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
thought it was hillarious. I know that non-spankers have a difficult time understanding that when you put kids in time out they laugh at you.
This brought back memories. My children didnt' laugh when they were in time out. They would wail and cry like they were being tortured. Nothing was holding them in place, but they acted like they were glued to the time out step. I thought it was hillarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
....chances are all they're thinking is "Jeepers, she's yammering again.'.
I remember WISHING my parents would spank me! The lectures seemed endless! I always thought it would be easier and faster to get spanked. Seriously. I was a kid and I felt that way! Trust me, lectures are more torture! LOL

Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,365 times
Well the only expert I trust in the field of how best to discipline my child is GOD, and he said, "Spare the rod and spoil the child." Now that doesn’t mean to beat your children, but the occasional spanking here and there isn't going to harm anyone and is often needed to properly teach a child that certain behaviors and actions are inappropriate.

I was spanked and I have never been in trouble with the law, not even a traffic ticket. My kids have been spanked here and there and all are straight A students and are in accelerated classes. None of them have been in trouble with the law either. They also do not have a mean bone in their bodies and are far from aggressive.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This brought back memories. My children didnt' laugh when they were in time out. They would wail and cry like they were being tortured. Nothing was holding them in place, but they acted like they were glued to the time out step. I thought it was hillarious.

I remember WISHING my parents would spank me! The lectures seemed endless! I always thought it would be easier and faster to get spanked. Seriously. I was a kid and I felt that way! Trust me, lectures are more torture! LOL

This part brought back some memories for me. When I was a kid, my parents always had these friends over and they had 2 boys. The one was always getting in some sort of trouble and his dad would always ask him what way would he like to be punished, time out (they didn't call it that but it was the same thing) or spanking, the kid always chose spanking so he could get right back to playing!

Last edited by skahar; 04-15-2010 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

The saddest thing is when a child breaks down because they just plain can't take any more words crammed into them. Little minds aren't mature enough to keep packing in words they don't understand about feelings and behaviors they don't understand.

Children's minds aren't matured yet, to reason and think on a level condusive to lecturing. If they were, they could sit in college lecture halls and do well. Seriously, when you are finished lecturing, ask your child what they learned. More than likely, he or she will shake their head up and down because they don't understand what they were supposed to take away from all the words.

A quick spank is clear and easily understood. No room for mis-interpretation. No emotional damage; no harm done to their development.

Too many words get in the way of the action/reaction connection.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Last night I paused briefly on a segment of Joy Behar's show and this was the topic of discussion.

The expert advocating 'no spanking' used a poor example, imo. Something about it being inappropriate to smack a child's bottom if he/she had just wandered out into traffic. No age was mentioned.

I've heard both sides of this issue on a number of occasions and am somewhat surprised that this topic seems to be recycled with regularity.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Well the only expert I trust in the field of how best to discipline my child is GOD, and he said, "Spare the rod and spoil the child." Now that doesn’t mean to beat your children, but the occasional spanking here and there isn't going to harm anyone and is often needed to properly teach a child that certain behaviors and actions are inappropriate.

The phrase "spare the rod and spoil the child" is often incorrectly attributed to the Christian Bible. It does not appear there. It was first written in a poem by Samuel Butler in 1664.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Whatever. I know plenty of people who were spanked as children who aren't aggressive. There have been studies going both ways on this issue for a long time.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
I wonder if the study considered that more "aggressive" kids are the ones that get spanked in the first place.

My mild mannered daughter was hardly ever spanked where my bouncing off the walls son is spanked on a pretty regular basis.

It reminds me of a study I read in Statistics class in college. They tried to do a study on coffee drinkers and the "dangers" of coffee. What they found was that coffee drinkers (at the time before Starbucks and the caffeine revolution) had a lower life expectancy. When the looked deeper though they had to throw out all the results because coffee drinkers were more likely to smoke, not wear seat belts and eat crap. It seems to me a similar thing is going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting