Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I actually don't think Hooters is that bad, but I certainly wouldn't call it a family place. And with so many choices to have a kid's party at, why pick a place that people may object to.

EDIT: My biggest problem is the food just isn't that good.
I did take my kids for a family birthday party when one son turned 16. From all the controversy I had heard about Hooters before actually going, I had expected it to be something quite different than what it was. At least that one was nothing - the waitresses were friendly, as friendly to the kids and wives as to men.

I thought it was cute and sweet the way the Hooters waitresses went out of their way to sing Happy Birthday and treat a 16 year old boy special - but nothing sleezy at all, nothing sexual - it's a family enough oriented place, but it's a sports bar first, and my kids laughed about the $45 price on the liver and onions on the kids menu.

For me it's neutral for a 10 year old - I can't see declining such a party on morality grounds. Unless it's a Hooters that is over the edge, but most of them I doubt are. If the OP is concerned maybe she should go once and see for herself what it's like. To me it would be nothing more or less than cheerleaders serving food and drinks. Yes they act peppy and smile, none seem grumpy - but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I did take my kids for a family birthday party when one son turned 16. From all the controversy I had heard about Hooters before actually going, I had expected it to be something quite different than what it was. At least that one was nothing - the waitresses were friendly, as friendly to the kids and wives as to men.

I thought it was cute and sweet the way the Hooters waitresses went out of their way to sing Happy Birthday and treat a 16 year old boy special - but nothing sleezy at all, nothing sexual - it's a family enough oriented place, but it's a sports bar first, and my kids laughed about the $45 price on the liver and onions on the kids menu.

For me it's neutral for a 10 year old - I can't see declining such a party on morality grounds. Unless it's a Hooters that is over the edge, but most of them I doubt are. If the OP is concerned maybe she should go once and see for herself what it's like. To me it would be nothing more or less than cheerleaders serving food and drinks. Yes they act peppy and smile, none seem grumpy - but that's about it.
Really? So you have no problem with the objectifying of women who serve your ten year old son?

I just think Hooters is kinda creepy and weird.

My best friend sent her holiday car this year complete with a photo of her son (who is 9) smiling while standing between two Hooters waitresses in South Korea!?!
The creepiest part of it, was certainly not the girls, but her son's creepy smile and look on his face.
That just kinda grossed me out.

I don't want to see that look on my son's face anytime soon, but then again he's only 7.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 AM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I don't think I would want my son to learn to look at other women, especially women in skimpy clothes, from his Dad, at the age of 10.

i agree-he will become interested soon enough and when he is it wont be because his dad took him-

i go back to this: the name, the outfits, the tone-it objectiflies women in a way I will not be the one to expose him to-my son and daughters will get it from the outside world-of course no one can keep their kids in a bubble-however, we will set the standards that as parents are right for us-when they get older, they will make their own decisions-

Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 AM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Really? So you have no problem with the objectifying of women who serve your ten year old son?

I just think Hooters is kinda creepy and weird.

My best friend sent her holiday car this year complete with a photo of her son (who is 9) smiling while standing between two Hooters waitresses in South Korea!?!
The creepiest part of it, was certainly not the girls, but her son's creepy smile and look on his face.
That just kinda grossed me out.

I don't want to see that look on my son's face anytime soon, but then again he's only 7.

that is a creepy and inappropriate holiday card-creepy on the parents part-i wonder of the childs face was strange maybe because he was embarrassed or uncomfortable-

would these same parents put their 9 yr old daughter in a picture between 2 men in bikinis with her head at their waist level-im guessing the chest is about where the 9 yr old came up to on these women-sad to me-

Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
What is sexual about a sports bar? Do the waitresses pole dance?

It all depends on how the fathers act. If they go for the sports atmosphere, why would it be objectionable? If they go and point out the tight Ts the waitresses wear, and whistle and act like bozos, then I would think they should re-evaluate their decision to have young sons with them.

If the boys watch football games, they have seen scantily dressed females. If they have gone to the pool or beach, they have seen scantily dressed females. If they have gone to school, they have seen scantily dressed females. They likely wouldn't pay too much attention to the waitresses' dress.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I suppose the OP could go to Hooters ahead of time and see what it is actually like. Then they can decide if they will let him go to the party. I don't know that I would keep my child from going. I think being overly protective can be just has harmful as letting kids see the world as it is. But I sure as heck wouldn't plan a party there.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
As a place for a family meal I don't see a problem with Hooters - The waitresses there are no different than cheerleaders at a football game (except their pom poms are real) But as a party spot for a 10 year old it's a different story. The theme of the place is inappropriate both for the hooters and as a bar. Seriously - even if the girls weren't a factor who would have a kids party at a sports bar!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,110 times
Not appropriate. The name says it all.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
hi-i'd love to hear from other people on this one. my sons best friend is having a party at hooters-just a couple of boys and their fathers-my son is not going-my husband and i just dont think its appropriate-by the way, the birthday boy is turning 10-it makes me sad how this is becoming more "normal" where i live-i am in ny-long island-when did it become ok to expose children purposely to such overt sexuality?? if adults want to go fine-but these are kids? what do you think??

Why can't the woman folk go? They do hire men now.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Yikes! I think you made a wise decision.

My brother in law takes my nieces (age 10) to Hooters. He claims they have delicious chicken wings you can't can't anywhere else. I think it's insane, but my sister puts up with it so it's not my place to say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting