Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,702,942 times

Advertisements

Teachbeach,

Are you originally from Lancaster County? If so whats your opinion about some saying that many of the locals in Lancaster County make it clear that they are not so fond of New Yorkers? Do you see it being a problem for a New Yorker trying to fit in with the Lancaster locals? On many threads i read many people write such things as New Yorkers wont make friends in Lancaster, or its not so easy for a person from NY to find a job in Pa because they will always hire someone from PA over a New yorker anyday. Just like to hear some opinions on that.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Hempfield, Lititz and Warwick. Mount Joy is a great community, but a bit of a time warp for world travelers or keeping up with world events. Same with Lampeter/Strasburg. You'd be in tourist mecca there, just crowded all the time, especially weekends and hoidays. It's where the outlet malls are located, as well as many of the tourist attractions. The Warwick/Lititz and Hempfield areas are further north and west of the congested areas, and the clientele/residents are more likely to be college educated, professionals and in tune with world events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM

60 posts, read 64,433 times
I lived in Harrisburg for 11 years and often traveled to Lancaster County.

All-too-often, fatal vehicle accidents involving motorists and the Amish occur in Lancaster County. Speeding motorists have killed several Amish as they make their way down the road in their horse-drawn buggies. I'm not saying it's outsiders who cause these accidents. However, Lancaster County is a very low-key, peaceful community, and just like speeding motorists, outsiders rapidly move in and quickly change the pace of life there.

For example, a few years ago, right before Christmas, I traveled from Harrisburg to the outlets in Lancaster. Although the parking lot at the outlet mall was crowded, I found a parking spot and pulled in, only to have a woman (in a car with New Jersey license plate) jump out of her car and scream at me, "That's OUR parking spot!!!"

While I was in the right, I certainly wasn't going to get into a screaming match with another person over a friggin' parking spot. That's not the way it's done in Lancaster, plus, I figure that she had enough problems being from New Jersey.

So now do you know why the locals don't particularly care for pushy, aggressive outsiders moving in?

As for the nonsense that "it's not so easy for a person from NY to find a job in Pa because they will always hire someone from PA over a New yorker anyday," the truth is that employers will choose the most qualified person who also has a relaxed, non-pushy way about them.

At my job in Harrisburg, I worked with a woman from New York and everyone avoided her like the plague, mainly because all she talked about was how much better everyone in New York is and how sophisticated they were and how Central Pennsylvania was SUCH a backwater. Either shut up or go the hell back to New York.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,702,942 times
Default Alot of Cocky people in this world!

Yeah I agree with the post below, basically no matter where your from stop carrying that cocky attitude, trust me I'm originally from Long Island and could easily deal with and work at a fast pace, as a matter of fact they tell me to slow down at work. But for now we live in Las Vegas and people from all over the country and the world live here, out here the people complain about the the horrible California drivers , to me it could be anybody driving bad, what state you come from makes no difference.

And I know what you mean by people avoiding others by how they act, I worked with a few very cocky people, few from Florida, one from Ohio the other Pennsylvania and man were they avoided at work, not because of the states they came from but due to those cocky or I call it stuck up attitudes, some people are just so unhappy.

And i agree with you on the license plate thing, when i used to live on Long island, we used to have to deal with all the nutty out of state drivers during the nice beach days near the hamptons, being cut off and all that, speeding was the major problem, so many plates from NJ, PA , CT and so on.

We are also looking into a possible move to Lancaster County with the NY accent and all and I alone know at least 8 other families with kids moving there within a year from NY and my cousin might from NJ, imagine how many more New Yorkers & People from NJ and so on are on the way. I'm sure the vast majority of them will fit in fine, heck if the locals arent happy, too bad, this is our country, a free one. So to all out there dont fear the state you want to move to, just be yourself and dont worry about the cocky ones who may not welcome you. Just move to Lancaster & be Happy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
I lived in Harrisburg for 11 years and often traveled to Lancaster County.

All-too-often, fatal vehicle accidents involving motorists and the Amish occur in Lancaster County. Speeding motorists have killed several Amish as they make their way down the road in their horse-drawn buggies. I'm not saying it's outsiders who cause these accidents. However, Lancaster County is a very low-key, peaceful community, and just like speeding motorists, outsiders rapidly move in and quickly change the pace of life there.

For example, a few years ago, right before Christmas, I traveled from Harrisburg to the outlets in Lancaster. Although the parking lot at the outlet mall was crowded, I found a parking spot and pulled in, only to have a woman (in a car with New Jersey license plate) jump out of her car and scream at me, "That's OUR parking spot!!!"

While I was in the right, I certainly wasn't going to get into a screaming match with another person over a friggin' parking spot. That's not the way it's done in Lancaster, plus, I figure that she had enough problems being from New Jersey.

So now do you know why the locals don't particularly care for pushy, aggressive outsiders moving in?

As for the nonsense that "it's not so easy for a person from NY to find a job in Pa because they will always hire someone from PA over a New yorker anyday," the truth is that employers will choose the most qualified person who also has a relaxed, non-pushy way about them.

At my job in Harrisburg, I worked with a woman from New York and everyone avoided her like the plague, mainly because all she talked about was how much better everyone in New York is and how sophisticated they were and how Central Pennsylvania was SUCH a backwater. Either shut up or go the hell back to New York.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 PM

152 posts, read 322,204 times
Talking I am moving to Lancaster soon!!!!!

I am also from long island NY , and as soon as i sell my house, i'm moving to lancaster. I have a friend in ephrata, and one in lancaster city. Both moved from NY also, both love it. I visit the lancaster city area often. Yes, there are some areas to watch out for as in any area, but for the most part very nice. People always tell my friend she's in a bad neighborhood, but she feels very safe, no one has bars on the windows like in queens ny. Her main complaint is bad italian food, as you know in NY the italians have so many restaurants and she misses that. I love the rowhomes, but there are nice neighborhoods outside of the city also. The city has a large spanish population. There are nearby areas that are also nice, ephrata, lititz, lebanon, stroudsburg, willow street, hershey, so many to name. You really have to drive around alot to get a feel for which is right for you. I am visiting again in 10 days. I am not an expert, but if you have any questions, i can have my friends look into it.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 PM

152 posts, read 322,204 times
Hi, long islander here also moving to lancaster, once my home sells i'm moving. Have 2 friends also there, and they are doing fine. email me if you want to chat.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:03 AM

17 posts, read 49,851 times
You may want to look into Berks County. The towns are larger and there are more opportunities both economically and socially. You will encounter some ignorance/prejudice in Lancaster County and Lebanon County which can be troubling.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:06 AM

17 posts, read 49,851 times
You may want to look into Berks County. The towns are larger and there are more opportunities economically and socially. You will encounter some ignorance/prejudice in Lancaster and Lebanon which can be troubling. There is very little cultural diversity and tolerance outside Lancaster City.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,939 times
Exclamation Lancaster WAS wonderful place.

Lancaster was a wonderful place at one time. But every day more and more farm land is eaten up and destroyed for new homes. With people moving in from Philly or NY, all of them remembering how nice it was when they came here for vacation as children. They move in and want to enjoy the life style that was Lancaster. But bring all there problems with them. In the past 10 years crime and drug use has exploded. I remember when a someone being murdered was tragic front page first story news. Now not a day goes by that some one isn't shot or stabbed because of drugs. In the past 3 years whole families were murdered in there homes. Why? Because of the problems they brought with them. they want this they want that they want to enjoy the beautiful night sky but are so scared of the dark needing to have almost every inch of there property illuminated. My neighbors up the street who use there house as a vacation home, have 13 lights burning every night even when they are in NY. Making it impossible to see the stars they moved here to enjoy. the city of Lancaster is devolving into one large slum with all the more affluent families moving towards the suburbs, while the properties in town are being bought up by slum lords at ridiculously low prices compared to where they either live or where they moved from. They collect the rent and allow the properties to deteriorate to places unfit to live in.

Yea Lancaster was a beautiful place to live, before the tourist.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Anderson View Post
Lancaster was a wonderful place at one time. But every day more and more farm land is eaten up and destroyed for new homes. With people moving in from Philly or NY, all of them remembering how nice it was when they came here for vacation as children. They move in and want to enjoy the life style that was Lancaster. But bring all there problems with them. In the past 10 years crime and drug use has exploded. I remember when a someone being murdered was tragic front page first story news. Now not a day goes by that some one isn't shot or stabbed because of drugs. In the past 3 years whole families were murdered in there homes. Why? Because of the problems they brought with them. they want this they want that they want to enjoy the beautiful night sky but are so scared of the dark needing to have almost every inch of there property illuminated. My neighbors up the street who use there house as a vacation home, have 13 lights burning every night even when they are in NY. Making it impossible to see the stars they moved here to enjoy. the city of Lancaster is devolving into one large slum with all the more affluent families moving towards the suburbs, while the properties in town are being bought up by slum lords at ridiculously low prices compared to where they either live or where they moved from. They collect the rent and allow the properties to deteriorate to places unfit to live in.

Yea Lancaster was a beautiful place to live, before the tourist.
I think it's a little unfair to say that those moving to Lancaster from other places are the sole cause of the problems. It depends on WHO they are.

For one, most that want the life they move to Lancaster from are NOT the criminal element but are hardworking middle income families with children.. and are looking to move not to the city, but to the suburbs. As for what is happenning in the city .. it happens in cities everywhere. Those moving to the cities are not neccesarily the quiete suburban sky gazing types..otherwise they wouldnt' be moving into the city.
I certainly am not of the criminal element or mind and I am an example of someone from NY that wants abetter life.. and to star gaze. I will avoid the areas that have a high criminal element and such problems.. otherwise I just might as well stay where I am.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
Hi there!!! I'm a native of LI (Wantagh) and am now living in Hempfield. I have all of your answers for you!!! (Lucky you!)

I moved here in 1998 when I married my husband, at first, I had a hard time making friends... I admit that. But as time went on, I did meet people (really great people) who some are from here and others are not. My husband, (who is from PA) tells me that it is in the PA Dutch "way" not to warm up to newcomers easily... it's not just New Yorkers or people from Phila. Most of our friends are not from Lancaster originally and the ones who are from Lancaster originally, are mostly "not the norm" types (that's hard to explain...)

We moved to Landisville in 2002 from just outside the city, and we do not live in a development and if you are looking to meet like minded people, I would suggest either a development in the burbs or Lancaster City. The west end is my favorite. Lancaster City is a fantastic place... culturally and otherwise. My little boy (age 4) and I often take the bus from Landisville to the city and go to market, eat breakfast and browse the shops. Lititz is a great place too, as is Strasburg.

The religious "buffet" will blow your mind!!! There are religions here (mostly Christian) that I have never heard of. I'm Catholic and there are several Catholic churches to choose from. Although for the first time ever, I notice that I'm a stranger in a strange land, because not everyone is either Catholic or Jewish like on Long Island. That takes some getting used to. Also, if you are a democrat, I'm sorry, but your vote won't count here. Even though Pennsylvania is considered a "swing state" this area is pretty conservative. I would recommend against putting that Obama sign on your lawn if you catch me.

Despite that, there is a pretty booming gay community in Lancaster City. (Edited to say: and to me, that's a GREAT thing... I am a big fan of diversity and acceptance.) There is crime. There are drugs. There is poverty in the southern area of the city. Best school districts are the Manheim Township and Hempfield for surburbia... don't be afraid of Lancaster City/Township school district which is in the city, it's wicked culturally and economically diverse and I think that's a huge bonus.

I admit that at first, I wasn't crazy about the area, I missed my friends on the island, but I really warmed up to it (mostly after our son was born, the Womens and Babies Hospital at Lancaster General is like a spa!!!) and now, after we bought our house, (a beautiful brick Queen Anne that would cost about a million on the island) you will have to rip my cold dead hands from this area.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!!!

Cheers!

Slightlysilly

Last edited by slightlysilly; 01-25-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania