Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times

Advertisements

25-26 would basically be the lowest ACT scores possible to get into Pitt's main campus and that is not even a guarantee. Many students start at places like Pitt Greensburg and then transfer to the main campus eventually. Pitt's average ACT score is usually around a 25-26, depending on the year, but I have known several people who have scored much higher and only been admitted to a branch campus of Pitt. I would make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket and try to apply to a few different schools so that you have a backup plan if you don't get into your first choice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseybee17 View Post
Hey

I'm looking into moving to Pennsylvania for college in the fall of 2013. I want to major in Marketing and am wondering what schools are good for that in the state?

I really would prefer to be closer to the city, any city. I just don't want to be more then a half hour drive from a city. I live in a town of 6,000 and three hours from a city now so when I move out for college I really want that to change.

I'm taking my ACT in September and am expecting a 24-25, but hopefully, eventually, a 26. I have a strong GPA and good grades... if that gives you any better idea of what I could be accepted in. Basically none of the 'top' schools.

I really want a residential campus. Which means I would prefer not to be in the city center where everyday traffic is zooming by.

Any colleges you guys could name so I can look into it would be amazing! Thanks!
You didn't say why you are moving to Pennsylvania, but you might want to read this article that mentions, "it also appears that public colleges and universities in Pennsylvania have higher costs than in other states."

Regional Insights: The cost of college - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You don't give much info to go on, but since you don't want to be in a city center but want to be within 30 minutes of a city (but you don't define what size city), it narrows the list. Here are some possible choices in Western PA that seem to meet your criteria:

Pitt-Greensburg
Seton Hill
Robert Morris
Gannon
Mercyhurst
Penn State Behrend
Edinboro University of PA
Penn State Altoona

Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM

377 posts, read 667,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
25-26 would basically be the lowest ACT scores possible to get into Pitt's main campus and that is not even a guarantee. Many students start at places like Pitt Greensburg and then transfer to the main campus eventually. Pitt's average ACT score is usually around a 25-26, depending on the year, but I have known several people who have scored much higher and only been admitted to a branch campus of Pitt. I would make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket and try to apply to a few different schools so that you have a backup plan if you don't get into your first choice.
Not really. 25% of all students admitted to PITT had scores at OR Below 25. My family's closest Philly friends currently have 2 boys who are PITT Engineering Junior's and Senior's. Both got in with scores below 25, but with very good 11th and 12th Grade GPAs. My brother (now 24), even got into PENNs college of arts and sciences with an ACT of 29 (+1 re-test), but with an exceptional GPA and in the top 6% of his very large high school senior class. He really wanted to get into undergrad Wharton, but was told no way. He stayed in A&S taking business courses and after 2 years, transferred and was accepted to Wharton. It took him 5 years to get his Wharton undergrad, but he fulfilled his dream - with a lot of financial help from my parents. I really don't think anyone should be put off from applying to a school of their choice because their ACT or SAT is near the limits of historical acceptance. It's a bad precedent to set in preparing for life's later challenges.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Yes really. The mean ACT score for an undergraduate business student at Pitt in 2011 was 27 and 85% of admitted business students were in the top 25% of their graduating class. Additionally, 65% of admitted business students had a high school GPA of 3.75 or higher. In other words, the overwhelming majority of accepted business students at Pitt are near the top of their graduating class and score between 25 and 29 on the ACT test. So again, considering the average ACT score for a Pitt business student is 27 and most of them have graduated near the top of their class, a 25-26 ACT score and good grades are no guarantee for admission.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Sorry forgot to post the link for you:
University Of Pittsburgh: Undergraduate Profile - BusinessWeek

Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM

One other thing to add to my post, I am not saying the OP should be discouraged from applying to Pitt. In fact, I never inferred or mentioned this, I said she should have a backup plan in case she does not get in to Pitt. I am not sure how acenturi garnished this from my previous post.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 PM

377 posts, read 667,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Yes really. The mean ACT score for an undergraduate business student at Pitt in 2011 was 27 and 85% of admitted business students were in the top 25% of their graduating class. Additionally, 65% of admitted business students had a high school GPA of 3.75 or higher. In other words, the overwhelming majority of accepted business students at Pitt are near the top of their graduating class and score between 25 and 29 on the ACT test. So again, considering the average ACT score for a Pitt business student is 27 and most of them have graduated near the top of their class, a 25-26 ACT score and good grades are no guarantee for admission.
From your reference:
University Of Pittsburgh: Undergraduate Profile - BusinessWeek
Middle 50% range of ACT Scores - From 25 To 29 means that 25% of the entering class scored Below 25 (which is what I posted) and 25% scored higher than 29. Top 25% of a high school class is not a monumental achievement (85%). 65% of entering class with a 3.75 GPA is OK, but doesn't reflect what it takes to get in - i.e., does that mean the other 35% (a lot of applicants for PITT) shouldn't apply? Notice how I asked the OP to provide a GPA so a better assessment could be made?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Again you are inferring that I said she should not apply. Please re-read my posts and notice that I said she just needs to make sure that she has a backup plan if she does not get into a school like Pitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania