Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of a Statewide Public Smoking Ban?
Yes 83 62.41%
No 46 34.59%
I'm Not Sure 3 2.26%
I Don't Care 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,590 times

Advertisements

All smoking needs to be banned, its killing people and innocent children who will one day grow up to smoke too, the costs in human lives is worth the ban...I Hate big brother too but this one expection I feel that must be done..too many poor people working in cancerous situations who will die from second hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,590 times
There are enough non-smoking establishments providing opportunities for wait-staff personnel.

Not always, it depends on the area...

Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM

41 posts, read 159,285 times
ok.. it seems like i am the only one not in favor of this... and yes i do smoke...but before all you non smokers pass judgment... hear me out...

i do not smoke in my house and i do not smoke in my car... i can not stand the after smell of it...

but who is the state or government to tell me where or where i cant smoke???
i'm sorry but last time i checked.... this was the land of the free right???

and besides if they pass the ban... whats next...?? another prohibition? a children limit like china...??? i know these seem extreme... but they really are possible...

another thing that kills me... is that everyone and there mothers is now is on the non smoking band wagon... which is totally fine...... but dont preach to me.. about how smoking is bad... when your shoveling double quarter pounders with cheese down your throat...
yes smoking is bad... i am not denying that... but obesity will be the number one killer in America in under 10 years....

here's an idea... lets ban mcdonalds and burger king...and lets see what kind of uproar happens...

i am not throwing stones here... , i am just making a point...

and i'm sure.. i will be getting alot of hateful responses to this post...

Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM

188 posts, read 156,551 times
Default Free Breathers Forever

Milledge44:

No hateful response. But look. If autos were not dangerous, we would not have to wear seat belts. The public belongs to the public. If something is DIRECTLY HARMFUL to the public, than it is the public responsibility to correct the harmful threat.

SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A THREAT TO MY LIFE. ELIMINATE THREATS

My wife and I wish to be able to go to a restaurant and eat clean food, and I don't care if it's bad for me. I don't want to breathe your smoke, BY CHOICE. You do not have the right to place your smoke into my lungs. I am sorry, but this takes precedence over your right to smoke in public places. Smoke your brains out in the alley, but not in my lungs, food, or space. Second hand smoke is a proven killer. What don't you get?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
TERMINOLOGY wrote:
My wife and I wish to be able to go to a restaurant and eat clean food, and I don't care if it's bad for me. I don't want to breathe your smoke, BY CHOICE. You do not have the right to place your smoke into my lungs. I am sorry, but this takes precedence over your right to smoke in public places. Smoke your brains out in the alley, but not in my lungs, food, or space. Second hand smoke is a proven killer. What don't you get?
Like you, I am a non smoker and I can't stand being around second hand smoke. Furthermore, I have no compassion for the well being of those who do smoke. Let em get sick if that's what they choose, but don't expect any public contributions for health care or long term care of any sort. Let it be well know up front that no financial assistance will be provided whatsoever if someone chooses to smoke.

If smokers want to have their own restaurants and bars, let em have those places, because frequenting those places is optional ( but no one under age 18 allowed ). We non smokers can simply choose to avoid them. However, flying on a plane, movie theatres, government buildings, workplaces, etc, where smokers and non-smokers share the same space...those place need to be non-smoking. I'd even be in favor of all public outdoor parks being non smoking. Indoors or outdoors...tobacco smoke is stinky, smelly, obnoxious, cancer casuing poison! But let em have their bars and restaurants so they can ostracize themselves from the rest of society.

blessings....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-08-2008 at 04:29 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
When was the last time somebody chowing down on a Big Mac directly impacted my health? Never that I can think of. When was the last time someone smoking impacted my health? Well, as someone who is mildly allergic to cigarette smoke my eyes often water, and I have to fight back the urge to cough when walking through clouds of cigarette smoke while going in and out of buildings. If you want to weigh 350 lbs., then knock yourselves out. You won't be bringing me down with you. However, if you want to light up in an indoor establishment, you're being selfish by harming the health of everyone around you.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

SWB wrote:
if you want to light up in an indoor establishment, you're being selfish by harming the health of everyone around you.
IF a restaurant or bar is designated as a smoking allowed facility, and advertised as such, then we non smokers who value our good health can choose NOT to go there. We can give our support to those fine establishments who cater to the continued good health of the non-smoker.

blessings....Franco

Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,664 times
Angry This really angers me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
Wow! I didn't realize that Pennsylvania was so far behind the times regarding smoking. The ban is so effective in California that one rarely smells cigarette smoke anymore, and, as of January 1st, smoking is banned in cars in which anyone under 18 is present.
I want to scream when I see a mom in her car smoking, windows shut, a 'baby a board' sign in her window (like that's gonna help) and two little ones in the back seat. Did she ask them if they would like cancer for their 21st birthday?

I think not!! You wanna kill yourself, fine, but your kids are innocent bystanders. Why kill your kids, too??

Cali banned smoking in cars with people under the age of 18? Seems to me like Pennsy can learn a little from California

Ban smoking. Ban it everywhere. It's no secret that its poison to us.

Why do we even need to debate it?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
I can't believe that PA doesn't have a ban already either. Ohio has one for crying out loud!!!

I sure wish South Korea would get one... I think I already have lung cancer from being here only a few months...
You can't "CRY OUT LOUD" in Ohio ???? !!!!! WOW !!!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 AM

SirenSong71 wrote:
Seems to me like Pennsy can learn a little from California
Learn from California...are you kidding! Pennsy likes to make its own mistakes, over and over and over again.

blessings....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania