Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 08:17 AM

486 posts, read 601,985 times

Advertisements

In a new article in the Times News, Nick Scott confirms that his upcoming, eight-story Hampton Inn & Suites will have roughly 105 guest rooms, 1/3 of which will be suites.

While some people question the need of another hotel on the bayfront, I think this will be a great addition. The current Sheraton and Courtyard hotels are priced more towards business travelers and shall I say, a more "upscale" crowd. This new hotel will be much more family friendly, with a comparatively lower price point, airport shuttle and free breakfast. I'm sure this will a draw for those that usually stay up on Upper Peach Street.

UPMC Hamot project, waterfront hotel on design review agenda - News - GoErie.com - Erie, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM

50 posts, read 46,610 times
Hello, This is my first post and I have been following this thread for quite some time. Thank you to those you update this thread and thank you to those who give's us the inside scoop on development in Downtown Erie.

Now I am not going to be negative but I need to be real. How long are we going to wait and wait for these developments and inside scoops to take place? Meaning when are these shovel ready plans going to take shape? It looks mighty good on paper and on your computer screen but times is of the essence here. Buffalo, Youngstown, Allentown, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh is already kicking us around like we have no chances of success. Do you think Harborplace? Bayfront Place? would ever get off the ground. Why are we as lovers for Erie going through this drip, drip, drip of economic "boom?" I have sat in on meetings with my ears open and my eyes opened. Why can't these public agencies and private companies who want to develop along the bayfront and Downtown be more real and honest with the citizens? I have watched since the 90's this idea, that idea sink quicker than anything?

The more time we are wasting the more time Erie doesn't have a chance to survive to bring jobs, talent, conventions, visitors etc. I mean when I was growing up I wished we could have built a 25 story building in Downtown Erie to beat Allentown's tallest building to provide commerce, jobs, and residency for Erie but then I learn about the "Baldwin Clause" if that is still a rule in Erie you can not build higher than the now R. Center building which was the Baldwin Building? Why can't we go through the codes, clauses and out dated rules/taxes to create a viable, vibrate and quickly booming part of the Commonwealth and Nation? Why can't we get rid of what not is working, to repeal it and to help what is already happening with these comprehensive plans?

Point: Erie County Councilman Jay B's East 19th Idea. Where is it now? What is he doing to make it happen? Why did he promise something to the citizens or to create some energy for the east side in his district? The plans looked promising and the thought was good but the follow through is what?

Point: McBride Viaduct: I have seen the plans and saw what can be with that area. I truly believe in that idea and how we can use that part of Erie to rebuild but where is the follow-through to make it happen even though the City of Erie plans to destroy it.

Last Point: West side this and west side that. Even though the residents on the west side have money and take care of the west side. Word has it that is turning into where the majority of the narcotics activity occurs meaning we are so worried about West 12th street jobs but what about the East 12th, East 10th and East Lake Road where there is so much land and so much opportunity to bring good paying jobs plus the ever shrinking GE?

I know this is my first post and I hope to hear some feedback from what I have posted. I decided to join in on the conversation because I am not giving up on my dreams, my hometown and what we can do. I truly wish by 2020 our bayfront is hustling and ever changing for the better and hope more companies come to Erie to set up shop with shovel ready plans!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartErie View Post
Hello, This is my first post and I have been following this thread for quite some time. Thank you to those you update this thread and thank you to those who give's us the inside scoop on development in Downtown Erie.

Now I am not going to be negative but I need to be real. How long are we going to wait and wait for these developments and inside scoops to take place? Meaning when are these shovel ready plans going to take shape? It looks mighty good on paper and on your computer screen but times is of the essence here. Buffalo, Youngstown, Allentown, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh is already kicking us around like we have no chances of success. Do you think Harborplace? Bayfront Place? would ever get off the ground. Why are we as lovers for Erie going through this drip, drip, drip of economic "boom?" I have sat in on meetings with my ears open and my eyes opened. Why can't these public agencies and private companies who want to develop along the bayfront and Downtown be more real and honest with the citizens? I have watched since the 90's this idea, that idea sink quicker than anything?

The more time we are wasting the more time Erie doesn't have a chance to survive to bring jobs, talent, conventions, visitors etc. I mean when I was growing up I wished we could have built a 25 story building in Downtown Erie to beat Allentown's tallest building to provide commerce, jobs, and residency for Erie but then I learn about the "Baldwin Clause" if that is still a rule in Erie you can not build higher than the now R. Center building which was the Baldwin Building? Why can't we go through the codes, clauses and out dated rules/taxes to create a viable, vibrate and quickly booming part of the Commonwealth and Nation? Why can't we get rid of what not is working, to repeal it and to help what is already happening with these comprehensive plans?

Point: Erie County Councilman Jay B's East 19th Idea. Where is it now? What is he doing to make it happen? Why did he promise something to the citizens or to create some energy for the east side in his district? The plans looked promising and the thought was good but the follow through is what?

Point: McBride Viaduct: I have seen the plans and saw what can be with that area. I truly believe in that idea and how we can use that part of Erie to rebuild but where is the follow-through to make it happen even though the City of Erie plans to destroy it.

Last Point: West side this and west side that. Even though the residents on the west side have money and take care of the west side. Word has it that is turning into where the majority of the narcotics activity occurs meaning we are so worried about West 12th street jobs but what about the East 12th, East 10th and East Lake Road where there is so much land and so much opportunity to bring good paying jobs plus the ever shrinking GE?

I know this is my first post and I hope to hear some feedback from what I have posted. I decided to join in on the conversation because I am not giving up on my dreams, my hometown and what we can do. I truly wish by 2020 our bayfront is hustling and ever changing for the better and hope more companies come to Erie to set up shop with shovel ready plans!

First let me say welcome to the forums! It's nice to see another Erieite on here!

Now, to respond to your comments...

I understand people's frustration with the sluggish pace at which our current leadership in city hall has gone about turning around the city. But it will be no small feat. Honestly I think both Bayfront Place and Harbor Place will happen, but they will be constructed in stages and will take several years until they are finished.

Erie does not need to build skyscrapers to be fully revitalized (although I agree that would be cool). In addition to growing the job market and turning around the school district, the city needs to revitalize it's neighborhoods, increase use of public transit/walkability, attract more small businesses to open in the city limits, convert vacant/non-taxable land into something useful, get a hold on the crime, among other things.

Honestly, I think the fact that we are getting a new mayor this year is great. It will inject a new energy into the city and hopefully the comprehensive plan will start rolling.

But there is a lot of great things currently in progress (Erie Insurance expansion, West Erie Plaza, UPMC, Velocity Net relocation, etc.) and on the table. Just think positive!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Final design for the Hampton Inn & Suites Erie Bayfront has been submitted. The hotel is confirmed to have 95 rooms, fitness room, indoor pool, a rooftop bar/lounge (which none of the current bayfront hotels can boast), and will be 8 stories.

As part of the project, E. Front Street will also get new sidewalks, lighting, and a public park. Construction is slated to start in April 2018.

Here's a rendering of the final design:

Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 AM

@jfug As I was watching the news about the two projects I saw other plans and pictures of both. Do you know where those other pictures and design can be seen? Would you like me to reach out to the firms to see we can get it to post it in here?

Also........... What I saw this too maybe you and other can bounce back some feedback, There are too many commission and committees to get anything done for the City. I have noticed this for quite some time. Understand this that those commissions and committees were developed in the 50's - 70's possible but it is going to be 2020 and we have Emerge 2040. All I would like for people to focus on the dates. If we stream line these commissions and committees without jeopardizing the public access I strongly think many projects and jobs can come quickly and it will be more effectuate.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:01 AM

The Avalon Hotel in downtown recently opened a second restaurant in the hotel: Cheyenne Cattle Co. Chophouse. The restaurant is a fine-dining steakhouse, with many options including seafood. This joins Bolero, the Spanish restaurant the Avalon opened earlier this year, which has gotten exceptional reviews.

Review: Erie's Cheyenne Chophouse for fine dining, quality steak - Entertainment & Life - GoErie.com - Erie, PA

Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
@jfug As I was watching the news about the two projects I saw other plans and pictures of both. Do you know where those other pictures and design can be seen? Would you like me to reach out to the firms to see we can get it to post it in here?

Also........... What I saw this too maybe you and other can bounce back some feedback, There are too many commission and committees to get anything done for the City. I have noticed this for quite some time. Understand this that those commissions and committees were developed in the 50's - 70's possible but it is going to be 2020 and we have Emerge 2040. All I would like for people to focus on the dates. If we stream line these commissions and committees without jeopardizing the public access I strongly think many projects and jobs can come quickly and it will be more effectuate.
I believe if you go on the website of Weber Murphy Fox, the project designer, they will have more pictures of the project.

And agree with the committees, commissions, etc. There are too damn many.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Let's hope this becomes reality by 2020 in Downtown Erie (The project will take 18 months) . Papers were signed,
sealed and delivered to Hilton.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Let's hope this becomes reality by 2020 in Downtown Erie (The project will take 18 months) . Papers were signed,
sealed and delivered to Hilton.
That looks absolutely beautiful. It would be great to have the Avalon revamped into a DoubleTree Hotel, especially in the great city-center location at 10th and State St.

If this becomes a reality Erie's downtown hotel selection will be pretty strong: Sheraton, Courtyard, Hampton Inn & Suites and DoubleTree.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
It certainly looks better than what's there now, even though I've recently become of fan of Brutalist architecture.

Any of y'all old enough to remember the "Hilton Hole"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania