Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:10 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to slip in here as an outsider and share a few personal observations as well as ask a few questions. First, my spouse and I have been to PA for a vacation visit and was charmed by the smaller towns such as Millheim (Center Co.) Ridgway (Elk Co.) and Bradford/Smethport. We have long-lived in the megapolis of Fort Worth-Dallas, TX and really appreciated the atmosphere and friendly people we met in PA. It seems the universal complaint in this thread is the lack of local economic activity. I hate to share more bad news, but the so-called "Sunbelt" economic boom is largely a myth-maybe it was somewhat true in the 1990's but not now. Or, I'll put it this way, if we live in a booming business/economic area with supposedly plentiful jobs, (which is the popular wisdom about Texas in general) then the rest of the country must be on the brink of total economic collapse. I looked at our local "career-employment" pages in the Fort Worth Sunday paper and found about 2 and 1/2 pages, mainly large ads for "career/education" schools and institutes, not actual jobs. And this is in a metropolitan area of over five million people. Shuttered places of business seem to be as numerous here as you folks claim they are in Venango Co. I think this current "Great" Recession is about as bad as the one Grandma and Grandpa talked about in the 1930's. While a lot of folks in the East talk about "moving to Texas" or, (fill in the blank for some other sun-belt location), Forbes found Pittsburgh, PA as the number one best place to live in the U.S., not San Antonio, Tucson, or Orlando. Something worth remembering...

Back on topic, I've seen videos of the Oil City arts program and videos of smiling folks in Oil City. I think there too the current economy is mainly to blame for a lack of program success. Back in the Great Depression, artists and musicians had one heck of a time making a living. So much so that the government hired many of them to do murals in government buildings and such as buying works of art is something most people would not choose over putting food on the table. Not likely our government will employ a lot of artists today, so until the economy improves on a broad basis, artists will likely stuggle in Oil City and in smaller towns nation-wide. Folks in the industrial Midwest complain about the lack of manufacturing jobs but unless there's the miracle a previous poster mentioned, the money will continue to flow to areas where labor costs are much cheaper and that today is in the far East. Since manufacturing is in the doldrums all over the Midwest, what about alternatives such as repair facilities? My 20-something year old son works at a facility that refurbishes cell phones and it pays far more than minimum wages. What if Oil City and other Venango Co. communities sought out companies that repair-refurbish-upgrade things like complex medical equipment which is high-value? One thing when trying to bring in new businesses is to always choose a locally based company over a multi-national or big corporation, Yes, the big corps may bring in hundreds of new jobs but they owe no allegiance to the local people and as folks in one Ohio town rudely discovered when DHL decided to get out of the U.S., dependence on one big entity carries a lot of risks. Better to try to attract smaller, niche companies with a potential for growth regardless of the way the economy is going. Forget the "call centers" "customer service" or even collection agencies and such, they pay almost nothing and can close shop in a minute. Now insurance companies or phamaceutical start ups might have long term potential. Given your location, tourism should not be over-looked either but it too is down due to the economy.

Your real estate, which is frequently is mentioned as being dirt cheap (from what I've seen, it truly is) is a strong selling point. Those old neglected Victorian houses you have are cherished in many parts of the country (and sell there for top dollar) while bringing in money from the outside when people (like my spouse and I) buy them. You have a beautiful, picturesque countryside and it is 100% recession-proof, I think people living in the hot areas of the country (try 3 weeks at a time in Fort Worth's long, hot summers, with every single sweaty day being 100 degrees or hotter) might appreciate escaping to the cooler hilly PA air for a couple of weeks while enjoying the picturesque surroundings. Why not promote the area for summer tourists and rent out some of your vacant old houses after making them habitable? At least you folks can go outside in the summer and do something rather than bake your brains out day after day until the end of September. You soon become a prisoner to the air conditioner and dread the monthly electric bill. Drugs? Although it happens more rarely now, I used to pick up a tossed-out hypodermic syringe almost every week in our front yard and we live only a few blocks away from the center of downtown. Drug abuse is not an Oil City problem, it's national in scope and few places in America are immune to it. I look forward to visiting Oil City and Venango Co. in the near future to form my own impressions. We await the sale of our home in this slow market and had we already sold, I would have been embarassed to offer less than full price for an outstanding Victorian house in Titusville, which recently sold. Worth mentioning is that we live in a Victorian era house, (1889) and have for the past 21 years, and can only see ourselves living in another one. We are also less than a decade away from retirement age and almost empty nesters, but I do have future business plans and upon the sale of our home will have financial assets to bring to the community we choose to live in. Maybe it will be Oil City or somewhere else, home is where you make it. The economy in Florida has prospered due to retirees, even if Oil City was a seasonal retreat for sunbirds in the summer months, that would still bring money into the community. Some people actually like a four-season year, it is PA, not North Dakota or Alaska. I'd much rather stay indoors for a few sub-zero days than week after week of incessant heat and humidity.

Last, we must not forget that 100 years ago we were primarily a nation of farmers. No, not corporate farmers with giant operations but small, family farms with subsistence farming and a little outside income to tide families over. This notion that everyone must have two SUV's, a house full of big screen TVs, and maxed out credit cards, is entirely modern and not sustainable. People should plant a garden, raise some of their own food and learn to live frugally; happiness and personal amounts of money do not necessarily correlate. I'd wager there are happy people in Oil City and it's not because of their wealth or lack thereof. Just my two cents worth after having lived and traveled over much of our world and discovering that local stereotypes and "conventional wisdoms" are not always true. Last, does anyone actually like Oil City or consider it as anything but a permanent dead end without any redeeming qualities? It must have had something going for it at one time or it would have disappeared at the end of the oil boom in the mid-1800's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Edit: Whoops...wrong thread.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 06-30-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,690 times
hi Vintrest

Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to slip in here as an outsider and share a few personal observations as well as ask a few questions. First, my spouse and I have been to PA for a vacation visit and was charmed by the smaller towns such as Millheim (Center Co.) Ridgeway (Elk Co.) and Bradford/Smethport. We have long-lived in the megalopolis of Fort Worth-Dallas, TX and really appreciated the atmosphere and friendly people we met in PA.

The reason why people are so friendly is because the towns are so small that everyone knows everyone and everyone knows everyone else's business. It might sound like a good thing on paper - but you get tired of it after a while. When you are someone new - the novelty is just knowing someone from out of town. Once you lived there for a while, the novelty wears off and you become just one of the neighbors. People in the cities are only out for themselves and they have a small group of people that they associate with and maybe their whole world is encompassed around one or two streets in their neighborhood. As for myself - I know people who lives 40 and 50 miles away and they can call me by name when they see me.

It seems the universal complaint in this thread is the lack of local economic activity. I hate to share more bad news, but the so-called "Sunbelt" economic boom is largely a myth-maybe it was somewhat true in the 1990's but not now. Or, I'll put it this way, if we live in a booming business/economic area with supposedly plentiful jobs, (which is the popular wisdom about Texas in general) then the rest of the country must be on the brink of total economic collapse.

The truth be told, and what OBAMA is not telling you is that we are all just one paycheck away from being on the soup lines like 80 years ago.
The interest rates are so low on the money we have saved and many people have lost their savings in one form or another when the IRA's and 401K's - lost all their value. There was nothing to insure those accounts.
Especially when no one wanted cap and trade restrictions put on their accounts when they were making mega big bucks on paper and thought that they were worth big money before it all collapsed.

I looked at our local "career-employment" pages in the Fort Worth Sunday paper and found about 2 and 1/2 pages, mainly large ads for "career/education" schools and institutes, not actual jobs. And this is in a metropolitan area of over five million people.
The Greensburg Tribune Review and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette only has about 1 page of manufacturing - entry level jobs and most of them do not pay more then $10 a hour.

Shuttered places of business seem to be as numerous here as you folks claim they are in Venango Co. I think this current "Great" Recession is about as bad as the one Grandma and Grandpa talked about in the 1930's. While a lot of folks in the East talk about "moving to Texas" or, (fill in the blank for some other sun-belt location), Forbes found Pittsburgh, PA as the number one best place to live in the U.S., not San Antonio, Tucson, or Orlando. Something worth remembering...

The only difference between the Great Depression of 1929 and what we are going through today is that in 1929 the banks actually failed. There was something like 9000 banks that closed their doors and could not pay off their investors. Today, people still have money in their pockets and the banks have not closed because the government did not allow it to happen.
General Motors and Dodge did not die because the government got into the automobile manufacturing business. The people did not end up on bread lines because the government has extended the unemployment compensation so many times that the people have come to expect it like a weekly pay check. The people who does have jobs, cannot see the poverty in the people who do not. The people who do not have a job, either has to settle for something less then what they had before or has to work several jobs to make ends meet. Many people cannot make ends meet - so they are leaving Utopia and looking for a new place to call home - where the crime is lower, the paychecks are higher and the housing and food is cheaper. That's where this forum comes in.

Another reason why things are not so bad is because we now have social security and as a result of that, our aged and infirm population has a check coming in and that money trickles down into our economy.

Bank Failures during the 1930s Great Depression

In the town that I live in, there was a bank and a banker who was my great grandfather. When the bank failed, he sent his 5 daughters and one son to work and he took a job working in a coal mine and he paid back every investor to the penny. The story was later replayed in a movie called "It's A Wonderful Life". Where the bank owners son tried to commit suicide because the bank did not have all the money and the people in the town wanted all their money back and they could not come up with the money because it was invested and was to be paid back in time.
My one neighbors grandfather, who owned a store, went up in the orchard, the only place in town that had trees and hung himself. The repercussions of his actions caused his family members for two generations to go crazy before they were 50 years old.

I had neighbors back in the 70's that still kept their money in a sock under their mattress or in a hole in the wall or mason jars buried in the yard. They preached on a daily basis that it was going to happen again.
Nothing that the government did ended the depression. The only thing that got us out of the Great Depression was WW II!

Back on topic, I've seen videos of the Oil City arts program and videos of smiling folks in Oil City. I think there too the current economy is mainly to blame for a lack of program success. Back in the Great Depression, artists and musicians had one heck of a time making a living. So much so that the government hired many of them to do murals in government buildings and such as buying works of art is something most people would not choose over putting food on the table.

That program was called the WPA - Works Progress Administration, or We Poke Along - like my old history teachers grandfather told him.
It employed a small amount of workers and no one really benefited from it.
Another program was called the NRA - The New Recovery Administration,
it created codes of fair competition, the establishment of a minimum wage, a 40 hour work week, the outlaw of child labor, If you ever watched the TV show - The Waltons, you will see a Blue Eagle hanging on the wall of grocery store where they frequented.
Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
National Recovery Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The outhouse in my backyard was built by the WPA. They already had a outhouse, but the WPA built new ones with concrete foundations and a concrete slab and one outhouse per a side for each duplex and a hole with a lid that the honey dippers could open to clean it out. They also built stone walls around the curves and hillsides along the state roads to retain the dirt. They were built so well that most of them still stands today - even with no maintenance 60 years later. That is a record that Penndot will never be able to match.

Not likely our government will employ a lot of artists today, so until the economy improves on a broad basis, artists will likely stuggle in Oil City and in smaller towns nation-wide.

Nobody cares about Oil City, its only on the map because it is there.
Nobody cares about arts in Oil City, they just want good jobs and medical benefits for their family members.

Folks in the industrial Midwest complain about the lack of manufacturing jobs but unless there's the miracle a previous poster mentioned, the money will continue to flow to areas where labor costs are much cheaper and that today is in the far East. Since manufacturing is in the doldrums all over the Midwest, what about alternatives such as repair facilities? My 20-something year old son works at a facility that refurbishes cell phones and it pays far more than minimum wages. What if Oil City and other Venango Co. communities sought out companies that repair-refurbish-upgrade things like complex medical equipment which is high-value?

Its not if they could bring in those types of jobs, but the fact that in order to have those types of jobs, you first have to have a trained workforce to do the technical support and Oil City does not have the trained technicians, that is the reason why those companies chose to locate themselves in cities and not rural area's.

One thing when trying to bring in new businesses is to always choose a locally based company over a multi-national or big corporation, Yes, the big corps may bring in hundreds of new jobs but they owe no allegiance to the local people and as folks in one Ohio town rudely discovered when DHL decided to get out of the U.S., dependence on one big entity carries a lot of risks.
The Big thing in Pennsylvania 20 years ago was call centers. You know, those places that you get when something doesn't work and you want to speak to a real person. Only now those jobs are being outsourced to India and other 3rd world countries where they can get someone to answer the phone for 18 cents a hour...

Better to try to attract smaller, niche companies with a potential for growth regardless of the way the economy is going. Forget the "call centers" "customer service" or even collection agencies and such, they pay almost nothing and can close shop in a minute.
No business is 100% recession proof in this economy. I have a cousin that worked in a sleep lab at a hospital and came to work one day and found the doors on the hospital locked and the hospital never reopened.

Now insurance companies or pharmaceutical start ups might have long term potential. Given your location, tourism should not be over-looked either but it too is down due to the economy. You are not going to solve our problems with your bright ideas - so you might as well forget trying to help.
Our economy was based on manufacturing and when they took away manufacturing jobs that paid something and replaced them with technology - the technology jobs didn't pay anything and the people left for greener pastures. That's the bottom line. When you turn 19 - you either get a job, leave to go to college, or leave to go elsewhere to find a job or join the military. There is nothing more then that left here, and even some of that has left as more and more businesses close or move elsewhere.
It isn't the taxes or the high standard of living or that it is too costly to produce the same item here. It is that no one wants what we made for our price anymore. Beer is being sold in aluminum cans and not glass bottles. Automobiles are being made with plastic and powder metals and not steel. Housing is being made with man made materials and being put together with air hammers and not traditional materials and a hammer and apron. Furniture is being made over seas and the materials to make furniture is being cut in the forests of Russia and not the United States - because they flooded the markets with cheap lumber. We can't even cut it for as much as what they are selling it for!

Tourism does not pay anything and is seasonal at best. Even then, you have to have something to draw in the tourist. What do you got up there besides a old oil well and Drake Park?

Your real estate, which is frequently is mentioned as being dirt cheap (from what I've seen, it truly is) is a strong selling point. Those old neglected Victorian houses you have are cherished in many parts of the country (and sell there for top dollar) while bringing in money from the outside when people (like my spouse and I) buy them.

Come ant buy them. When you find out that your house is only worth half of what you paid for it 5 years from now, after you doubled your investment - you will be sorry that you ever bought a old house and tried to fix it up.

You have a beautiful, picturesque countryside and it is 100% recession-proof,
Nothing is 100% recession proof. Just ask the people of Jefferson County who has lost 1/4 of their jobs in the last two years.

I think people living in the hot areas of the country (try 3 weeks at a time in Fort Worth's long, hot summers, with every single sweaty day being 100 degrees or hotter) might appreciate escaping to the cooler hilly PA air for a couple of weeks while enjoying the picturesque surroundings. Why not promote the area for summer tourists and rent out some of your vacant old houses after making them habitable? At least you folks can go outside in the summer and do something rather than bake your brains out day after day until the end of September. You soon become a prisoner to the air conditioner and dread the monthly electric bill.
You got all the answers, it is back to what came first, the chicken or the egg. In order to develop an area, first you have to have capitol to invest to improve the situation. Then you have to have someone that is interested in coming here. No one from Texas is going to run to Pennsylvania for a vacation when they can go to Colorado or New York or Vermont. Look at all the posts on this forum of people of mixed marriages who are worried about moving into a new area because the people there will not accept them.

Drugs? Although it happens more rarely now, I used to pick up a tossed-out hypodermic syringe almost every week in our front yard and we live only a few blocks away from the center of downtown. Drug abuse is not an Oil City problem, it's national in scope and few places in America are immune to it. I look forward to visiting Oil City and Venango Co. in the near future to form my own impressions. We await the sale of our home in this slow market and had we already sold, I would have been embarrassed to offer less than full price for an outstanding Victorian house in Titusville, which recently sold.
Houses are sold for what ever the market can support. If the market is poor then the house doesn't sell for much. What you don't understand is that in Texas - you have to run the air conditioning in the summer.
In Pennsylvania - you have to run the furnace in the winter.
The price of gas, oil, propane, electric, or what ever you plan to heat your house with - will soon eat up your budget - because you would not understand that a Victorian house has no insulation and might not have current wiring and the insurance on those houses would be more then the insurance on a brand new house.

Worth mentioning is that we live in a Victorian era house, (1889) and have for the past 21 years, and can only see ourselves living in another one. We are also less than a decade away from retirement age and almost empty nesters, but I do have future business plans and upon the sale of our home will have financial assets to bring to the community we choose to live in. Maybe it will be Oil City or somewhere else, home is where you make it. The economy in Florida has prospered due to retirees, even if Oil City was a seasonal retreat for sunbirds in the summer months, that would still bring money into the community. Some people actually like a four-season year, it is PA, not North Dakota or Alaska. I'd much rather stay indoors for a few sub-zero days than week after week of incessant heat and humidity.

You will think twice when you look at last winters weather report.
We had something like 80 days in a row, where the weather never got above 30* and we had tons of snow. Because you have no experience with snow - you just don't understand. I got a email last year about a woman who moved to Erie. The first couple of snows - she sent pictures back to her friends in Texas. Then when she got tired of shoveling snow - her attitudes changed and when she wrecked her car - she was yelling take this durn snow away already and moved back to Texas.

Last, we must not forget that 100 years ago we were primarily a nation of farmers. No, not corporate farmers with giant operations but small, family farms with subsistence farming and a little outside income to tide families over. This notion that everyone must have two SUV's, a house full of big screen TVs, and maxed out credit cards, is entirely modern and not sustainable. People should plant a garden, raise some of their own food and learn to live frugally;
I have a garden and I can attest that it probably costs me 400% more to grow my own food then if I was to drive to the Shop n Save right now and buy it off the shelves. Tomato juice for $2 a can. Tomato sauce $.99 a jar. Canning jars - $1 each, fertilizer $40 a bag. $50 rental for a rototiller.
$30 for plants and seeds that never grew and moles that ate half my tomato's and blight that killed the other half and zucchinis that you couldn't give away one day and dead the next.

happiness and personal amounts of money do not necessarily correlate. I'd wager there are happy people in Oil City and it's not because of their wealth or lack thereof. Just my two cents worth after having lived and traveled over much of our world and discovering that local stereotypes and "conventional wisdoms" are not always true. Last, does anyone actually like Oil City or consider it as anything but a permanent dead end without any redeeming qualities? It must have had something going for it at one time or it would have disappeared at the end of the oil boom in the mid-1800's.
If money doesn't make a person happy, give me your money and you can come and live in my house and I will go and live in yours!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Read this -
About 15% of the household heads on relief were women. The average worker was about 40 years old (about the same as the average family head on relief).
The WPA was consistent with the strong belief of the time that husbands and wives should not both be working (because the second person working would take one job away from a breadwinner.)

A study of 2,000 women workers in Philadelphia showed that 90% were married, but wives were reported as living with their husbands in only 18 percent of the cases. Only 2 percent of the husbands had private employment. "All of these [2,000] women," it was reported, "were responsible for from one to five additional people in the household."
In rural Missouri 60% of the WPA-employed women were without husbands (12% were single; 25% widowed; and 23% divorced, separated or deserted.) Thus, only 40% were married and living with their husbands, but 59% of the husbands were permanently disabled, 17% were temporarily disabled, 13% were too old to work, and the remaining 10% were either unemployed or handicapped. An average five years had elapsed since the husband's last employment at his regular occupation.
Most of the women worked with sewing projects, where they were taught to use sewing machines and made clothing, bedding, and supplies for hospitals, orphanages, and adoption centers.

Basically in order to get a WPA job, you either had to lie on the application or you had to break up with or send off your husband to get a job.
That is where the hobo's came from.

The share of Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and WPA benefits for African Americans exceeded their proportion of the general population. The FERA's first relief census reported that more than two million African Americans were on relief during early 1933, a proportion of the African-American population (17.8%) that was nearly double the proportion of whites on relief (9.5%).

That is where the stereotype in my community came from that colored people were lazy and did not want to work and all collected relief.
It wasn't that they didn't want to work, it was that no one could hire them.

One of the principal criticisms of the program was that it wasted federal dollars on projects that were often not needed or wanted. Professional, "white-collar" WPA projects in particular were often singled out by conservatives for their allegedly overtly left-wing social and political themes. One criticism of the allocation of WPA projects and funding was that they were often made for political considerations.

Some who were critical of the WPA referred to it as "We Poke Along", "We Piddle Around", "We Putter Along", "Working Pee Ants", or the "Whistle, Pee and Argue gang". These were sarcastic references to WPA projects that sometimes slowed greatly, because foremen on a government project devised to maintain employment often did not have any incentive or ability to influence worker productivity by demotion or termination

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just think of the graft and corruption that would go on if they brought back that program today.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,386 times
Most of the LARGE homes heading up to and on West 3rd were remodeled -actually restored would be a more acurate term- from the late 60's thru the early 90's. Idiots, over the years painted over some of the finest examples of european woodwork in the country. Banisters, indoor fluted columns, fireplaces, those enormous hardwood pocket doors on in the front sitting rooms and don't forget the stairway and dining room paneling most had rear stair wells as well and servants quarters on the 3rd floor with lovely wood work and claw foot tubs. Additional idiot work was painting over two layers of wall paper and replacing the, admittedly, heat inefficient floor to ceiling' single pane -sash type- windows, the removal of the leaded glass & chrystal in the sitting room/stairwell landing/dining room and side aka back stairwell. Front entrances were usually adorned with heavy oak and leaded/beveled glass as well. The butchery usually involved the custom small tile (domino) glazed outdoor scene fireplace coverings which were in about five of the rooms. The roof's used to be of slate with the exception of the Doc' Laverde mansion on Smedley and 3rd which was of a partial' Spanish Mission design with the curved, red, spanish tiles. And anyone who ever had to restrike or rebuild one of those old chiminey's was in for a major job as they were enormous and there were 4 to 8 of them. A lot of these older homes are, sadly, now going thru yet another phase of home owner atrocities. I'm guessing that the homes are cheap enough to buy but not to maintain as they should be. Plumbing and efficiently heating these beautiful monstrocities is probably the main issue today followed by roofing , gutters, and eaves. My folks sold theirs after nearly a year for $125,000 that would have sold for a million here in Texazz. As much as I love the old homes I won't buy one when I return home .... way to many steps for these old knee's :<)
As to over all price... a lot of even the older frame homes are 70/80/100 years old and the very location of the room door ways makes for odd furniture location which are near impossible to move particularly if the old wire and lathe plaster base is still there.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,386 times
Vin,
A response if you will...
Oil City, Franklin and the surrounding area has been slowly dying since the end of WWII.
I think the last of the major industry exodus happened in the 70'swith the loss of Oil Well Supply (USS), and Chicago Pneumatic Tool. While the area still had a semi-healthy oil, service and, retail economy we were basically feeding off of each others dollars. They put the Mall in years to late and when Continental Can Pennzoil and Quaker State Oil folded their tents our biggest export became our kids as there were no jobs here to return to.
You have a similar stuation in areas north and east of Dallas/Ft Worth with housing being the exception and everything west of Austin/San Antonio to include Abilene. Other that a few retail hubs and oil the biggest industry's are the ISD systems/City/ and State govt's, Colleges' and of course the idiotic Prison Industry. From Amarillo on south to Lubbock ... what do you have? And really, what is Lubbock but a slightly larger Midland/Odessa? I agree with your outlook for a retirement/peaceful vacation industry for the Venango/Franklin County areas but neither of us was the first to think of that idea ... they can't seem to get it off the ground wether it's medical sevices, retiree activities or what ? No one has figured it out and funded it yet. Over the last decade we seem to have developed neighborhoods that are now making city ordinances against kids ... unless of course they travel in groups of three or less (holigans, crazy driving, dopers, boozers, corruptors of young women etc ... .) Essentially, the neighbor hood watch system has turned into a self justifieing, neo-con, spy on your neighbors, judicial system that has made Police enforceable City Ordinance infractions into Crimes with a record et al. In effect, hanging out is now a crime, doesn't matter if you are hanging out at someone's house and listening to music and if you are letting kids hang out you are aiding and abetting a crime. I wonder how many framers' of this ordinance including the police and City Council would have been arrested in their hey day's of growing up? So another case of people wanting to resurrect a way of life that never was by restrictive, Gestapo-like, anti-Constitution/Bill of Rights ordinances that will further reduce the population, inhibit immigration of new families and dollars to the area. Swell thinking ...

Last edited by jstruthers82; 08-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: sp/sent.strc.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,270 times
Hi, I live in Oil City and LOL, it is not up and coming, it is down and out. It used to be the place to be back in the 1800's with the big oil barons. Because of this there are many old mansions out here in great need of repair. Sure you could pay 100,000 for one of these painted ladies, but expect to put that much into repair as well. Due to the meth. problem here, many of the locals are straight out of a Stephen King book. But if you are a solitary individual and home school, this is a great place to live. I just bought four lots with a fixer upper house for $9000...no where else in the US.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
^You can do that in Youngstown or Cleveland Ohio too!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 20,505 times
i everybody, i'm new on the forum and i read your answer about entry level oil jobs in texa. and what draw my attention is the fact, right now i'm living in africa west africa cote d'ivoire but i have been selected in the diversity visa program and while processing for the green card i trying yo get a plan for when i will arrive in usa since it is very important for me to know what to do there. i read that there is some well paid entry level jobs requiring no experience or some little things. that is why i'm posting here to ask a few questions:

1: is it real that there are some jobs in the oil industry that i can hire for without any experience in the field?
2: which country are the best for you for a newcomer like me to hire for a jobs in termes of wages, housing, commodities and life level. can you range them in order of preference
3 which compagny are the best for beginner

thanks for your help hope i will find some one to help me out here thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania