Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,558 times

Advertisements

I guess it is "Grass is Greener" synrdome striking in for many, but so far I do like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Bob, I saw in another thread that you're in the east end. Are you in Williamsport proper or in Loyalsock Township?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Bob, I saw in another thread that you're in the east end. Are you in Williamsport proper or in Loyalsock Township?
I am in Williamsport propper, just off Franklin St. in fact.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 59,795 times
My daughter goes to Penn Tech. Last year she worked in the residents office and got to know a lot about problems and crime on campus and off campus to students. this year the problem is worse.

She is only 19 so cannot carry a handgun, or a stungun, so she has mace on her keyring. In September, a guy followed her halfway to Northumberland, even pulling off the exit ramps when she would. she called us very upset, and by the time we got to meet her, he left. Our local police told her to call them as they are taking things like this very seriously now.

The downtown area seems very nice and I do enjoy going up to eat out. I do not venture off the main drag though.

Their so called community center is beautiful, just off the genetti hotel. It is a refurbished old theater and quite beautiful. The down side is, they did not replace the seating and it is way too cramped. I went to a taste of home cooking school last year there and I was very disapointed to find that this year's show will be at the same venue. I will not pay money to sit there again, your knees are literally against the seat in front, you touch shoulders with the people beside you and you cannot move once you are in.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:08 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzLee01 View Post
My daughter goes to Penn Tech. Last year she worked in the residents office and got to know a lot about problems and crime on campus and off campus to students. this year the problem is worse.

She is only 19 so cannot carry a handgun, or a stungun, so she has mace on her keyring. In September, a guy followed her halfway to Northumberland, even pulling off the exit ramps when she would. she called us very upset, and by the time we got to meet her, he left. Our local police told her to call them as they are taking things like this very seriously now.

The downtown area seems very nice and I do enjoy going up to eat out. I do not venture off the main drag though.

Their so called community center is beautiful, just off the genetti hotel. It is a refurbished old theater and quite beautiful. The down side is, they did not replace the seating and it is way too cramped. I went to a taste of home cooking school last year there and I was very disapointed to find that this year's show will be at the same venue. I will not pay money to sit there again, your knees are literally against the seat in front, you touch shoulders with the people beside you and you cannot move once you are in.
Yup if you sit up in the balcony it is terrible. Down below near the stage it's alright. I didn't have any problem with the seating there.

Everyone agrees the mayor from years ago importing the drug addicts put Williamsport in the toilet. I have confidence in the new mayor. He is doing a good job so far.

Really what they need to do is shut down the welfare office. Professional welfare junkies from all over the US actually come to Williamsport to collect checks. Since they have all that extra free time, they spend it selling drugs and shooting each other. Hopefully the FBI and DEA task force coming to town will help scour some of the scum out of town.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:37 AM

349 posts, read 863,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yup if you sit up in the balcony it is terrible. Down below near the stage it's alright. I didn't have any problem with the seating there.

Everyone agrees the mayor from years ago importing the drug addicts put Williamsport in the toilet. I have confidence in the new mayor. He is doing a good job so far.

Really what they need to do is shut down the welfare office. Professional welfare junkies from all over the US actually come to Williamsport to collect checks. Since they have all that extra free time, they spend it selling drugs and shooting each other. Hopefully the FBI and DEA task force coming to town will help scour some of the scum out of town.
yeah my mom was always talking about the philadelphia influx...

Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 20,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelb View Post
I agree. Wilkes-Barre and Scranton are happening places compared to tired old Williamsport. The big problem I always saw with Williamsport is that it is not near anything interesting. If you like fishing and hunting and the quiet life, then Williamsport is fine.

Sorry, I had to stop here. Need to stop all this negative hype about the port.

I am a mt. biking enthusiast myself, so I am already partial to woodlands/mountains. Pine Creek Valley is by far my favorite place near Willyport.

As a city, other than the ussual "great hunting/fishing areas" it is actually quite alive. Smae with Muncy. Go up to the mall sometime, and look around. The new sports dome just opened, which is the largest in North America. It has everything from driving range competitions, to flag football, to soccer leagues. Right next to that, they opened a brand new YMCA. Lycoming Crossings has new establishments.

Downtown there is a new movie theater next to the Community Arts Center. Bullfrog Brewery (as someone mentioned), Coffee and Tea Room, Vinny's OIP (He just opened Vincenzo's). Plenty of bars, from dives (Kelly's) up to formal (DiSalvo's) and everything in between (The Old Corner, The Pub.) Fine dining (again, DiSalvos and 33East.)

Unfortunately my favorite music store just recently closed, Rockstation. I can remember when that place first originally opened like 3 blocks from my house on Penn St. before moving downtown....

And there is Otto's bookstore. I mean, you think about, what does a huge city, like Philadelphia, have to offer that Williamsport does not? I am very curious. (Other than the big bad sports teams of course). Either way, you still have to spend a small fortune just to "find something to do" no matter WHERE you live. The only difference, that small fortune becomes a smaller expense in Williamsport.

(And yes, I have been out of Williamsport for quite sometime. Everywhere I have been has it's bad things about it, not just Williamsport, and not just PA. You should go see Rome, Italy sometime....)

Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,914 times
Default Williamsport is not the spot!

I'm a little older than 25 but I've lived in the Port for many years of my life and I just want to say that I've been to a lot of places and this is one of the worst. It's true that the crime here is pretty bad but no worse than any other city, it's the lack of jobs and opportunity for blacks that makes this place so hard. This place is also very racist if you are black. A black man has little or no chance here to blossom unless he/she is playing ball or going to college (which are by the way very racist as well). From the city cops to the corrupt city officials, this place stinks of inequality for black people. Now if you are white, you are allowed to go to many places that black folks have a hard time gaining entrance to without a hassle such as the country club, various bars and fancy restaurants throughout the city.
This place also offers a lot of tourism but mostly for white people. So in essence, if you are white looking to move here, you have it all at your fingertips but if you are black then beware that there is nothing here for us but harassment by the cops on the streets and discrimination in the workplace.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,518 times
Bobsmith writes his landlord likes it and he was from New Mexico? I am in New Mexico and thinking of moving there. What else does the landlord say comparing it to NM?
thank you

Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend5000 View Post
Now if you are white, you are allowed to go to many places that black folks have a hard time gaining entrance to without a hassle such as the country club, various bars and fancy restaurants throughout the city.

This is BS. If there were restaurants that would keep blacks out they would be on Channel 6 News before you could finish this post. You are making things up, in your first post no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania