Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazztrons View Post
I know of a few towns there that you can not have even a beer outside your home where your neighbor may see.
Um, I find this a little hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 AM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Quote:
I have already made the decision to go home (PA).
Yes the winters on the east coast can be a pain, but I am so tired of no water, no family, no grass, no rain, and only two seasons!
I really dislike the west!

I want floods and snow, and ice and all that stuff that makes you want to sit in front of a fire with hot chocolate and that someone special to warm you up.
That is the most fun of winter.
I can relate! We lived in Tucson for two years................two years too many! We were there with the USAF. Tucson has two seasons............HOT and HOTTER!

I am not thrilled with the overall weather in PA but there is give and take no matter where you live. Just remember.........."It could always be worse".

Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 AM

80 posts, read 201,633 times
BPP1999

Its true.
There are some really old fashioned towns, back there.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times
Quote:
Tama, there has (for as long as I can remember) been strict law on booze in PA.
There are still dry towns in Pennsylvania, no bars, no liqueur stores,,nothing.

I know of a few towns there that you can not have even a beer outside your home where your neighbor may see.
With all the strict liquor laws, I have never met as many people who thought drinking was the be all and end all of their life, as I did when I lived in PA. That's probably one of the main reasons I didn't marry someone from there, as they all seemed to like to drink alot. My husband is from California, and even with our big wine industry here, drinking doesn't occupy the same status.

Maybe when you can buy liquor in any supermarket, it's just not a big deal.

Mm M

Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
goodgir49 It might be cultural also. Pa had the mining and factory towns. About the only way for someone to relax and get some time off from the drudgery of the work was having a few beers, I guess. Pa is very blue collar and people who work hard physically and put in long hours don't have a lot of options--they aren't going to go play tennis or surf LOL!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,085 times
Thanks for the replys everyone! I feel like I understand the rules better now. (just kidding)
We will be there in April. It will already be pretty warm here. Is that about when Spring starts there? I am really looking forward to getting out of here before summer!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Hi Folks--I was wondering about those of you who may have lived away from PA in a warm climate(no snow, no layers of clothing, blue skies all year round)who returned to PA at retirement for family reasons. Did you adjust OK? Did you regret the move? I am thinking of going back because of family and also I have a sense of longing for home. But I am aware that the winter can be depressing and the people less than cheerful. I am afraid I will regret it and at this stage of life--retirement--I can't afford a mistake.
I think where ever you go, if your heart is in it, you will do fine. I lived in Florida for a short time, and came back to PA...I've visited many other states, and yet, returned to PA. When I was younger, I hated the cold, winter, and found Autumn depressing, cuz winter was coming. But...now that I'm older, I actually love the changing of the seasons...and let me ask you this...when you lived in PA did you actually tour the entire state, north, east, south and west? PA has it all....close to the shore, close to NY and shows....plus, upstate PA is absolutely beautiful....as well as Western PA and up towards Erie. My Gosh, there are so many many wonderful sights to see in PA....and you never realize it until you go looking for it.

I've retired here now...and am in a retirement community and absolutely love it.

You'll only regret it if you find it hard to make friends...you must choose your friends wisely...and learn to say no....and if your happy, you will attract a lot of good people. PA people tell you like it is...and I'd rather have it that way then to have friends that yes me to death.

First, before you move, decide who you are, and what your needs are. No one else can tell you if your going to be happy but you. And it's no one else's job to make you happy but yours. We are how we think and believe.

Good Luck
Creme

Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 PM

80 posts, read 201,633 times
Very well said Creme,

I love it and have missed being home for a long time.

So Ill be going back about April/May also.
Have to wait for my daughter to be out of school then Im hitting the road!
I want out of AZ before summer too and I want to get through the midwest before storms hit!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I think where ever you go, if your heart is in it, you will do fine. I lived in Florida for a short time, and came back to PA...I've visited many other states, and yet, returned to PA. When I was younger, I hated the cold, winter, and found Autumn depressing, cuz winter was coming. But...now that I'm older, I actually love the changing of the seasons...and let me ask you this...when you lived in PA did you actually tour the entire state, north, east, south and west? PA has it all....close to the shore, close to NY and shows....plus, upstate PA is absolutely beautiful....as well as Western PA and up towards Erie. My Gosh, there are so many many wonderful sights to see in PA....and you never realize it until you go looking for it.

I've retired here now...and am in a retirement community and absolutely love it.

You'll only regret it if you find it hard to make friends...you must choose your friends wisely...and learn to say no....and if your happy, you will attract a lot of good people. PA people tell you like it is...and I'd rather have it that way then to have friends that yes me to death.

First, before you move, decide who you are, and what your needs are. No one else can tell you if your going to be happy but you. And it's no one else's job to make you happy but yours. We are how we think and believe.

Good Luck
Creme
What area did you retire to? I agree with a lot that you are saying, especially about the part of people telling it like it is. At first, I didn't like this, but now I do especially since I have lived in Los Angeles, which overall is more superficial.

I always liked the change of seasons, even when I was younger. Even though we have better overall weather here it does get rather boring. The fall is just beautiful!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
CremeBrulee Your post was very astute. One has to know oneself for sure.
The idea of being able to just drop in on Mom for a cup of coffee or go to a movie with my sister sounds like heaven. Being away from extended family for so many years has been a loss for sure. Now that the kids are on their own, a move back is really something to consider.

I would guess it would take about a year to get all the ducks in a row. Medical, social, and a balanced routine.

Four seasons! I can't imagine---thanks for all who chimed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania