Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM

194 posts, read 281,153 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I grew up in a small PA town about 2 hours from Erie and I despretally want to come back to Western Pennsylvania (I now live in Northern Virginia). My question is what is Erie like for a single 26 year old male?

I currently belong to a mega church and it is something that I will miss when I move (the only thing actually). Are their any other big churches in the Erie area that have lots of young people that attend?

Are people "freindly" there? They aren't in the DC area! I have lived here a year and a half and only made 3 freinds. I never had a problem making freinds when I lived in Western Pennsylvania or when I lived in New Hampshire. Is it easy to get involved with things and make freinds in Erie? What is the dating scene like?

I curently make $60,000 in my DC job and I feel like I'm poor since everything is so expensive here! My rent alone is $1200 a month and my apartment isn't even nice! I am in a high demand field so I shouldn't have a problem eventually getting a job up there (About 3 months or so). Other job offers I had in Northwest Pa pay between $45,000-$50,000. Would I be able to have a good life style on that salary?

I appreciate any information anyone would like to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
Hi Everyone! I grew up in a small PA town about 2 hours from Erie and I despretally want to come back to Western Pennsylvania (I now live in Northern Virginia). My question is what is Erie like for a single 26 year old male?

I currently belong to a mega church and it is something that I will miss when I move (the only thing actually). Are their any other big churches in the Erie area that have lots of young people that attend?

Are people "freindly" there? They aren't in the DC area! I have lived here a year and a half and only made 3 freinds. I never had a problem making freinds when I lived in Western Pennsylvania or when I lived in New Hampshire. Is it easy to get involved with things and make freinds in Erie? What is the dating scene like?

I curently make $60,000 in my DC job and I feel like I'm poor since everything is so expensive here! My rent alone is $1200 a month and my apartment isn't even nice! I am in a high demand field so I shouldn't have a problem eventually getting a job up there (About 3 months or so). Other job offers I had in Northwest Pa pay between $45,000-$50,000. Would I be able to have a good life style on that salary?

Yes, we're friendly people here in western PA. You may not be able to find that big mega church in the Erie area that are common down south, but there's plenty of churches and religions to chose from to attend. Making 45-50K around here is living a comfortable and good lifestyle, as long as you live within your means. And Erie is much more affordable than the D.C. area.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
There is a church that I would consider a "mega church"; it is visible from I-90 and is accessible from the Peach Street exit (old exit 6). I can't remember the name, but it has a live tv broadcast every Sunday.

As far as if it's right for someone your age, I was born in raised in Erie, and had the most fun times of my life as a single guy in my mid to late 20's there, but things have changed so much. Unemployment is very high and getting worse by the day. Starting wages there are much lower than you will be used to, but the cost of living is also much lower.

Erie folks are very close minded, very unaccepting of other cultures and lifestyles. If you want to get an idea for what I'm talking about, check out goerie.com, which is the Erie Times News website. Read the local opinion page and take in what these people rant and rave about. A few months ago, a marriage notice was run for two men who married in California. There was a whole page of letters to the editor complaining about this. Thats the prevailing attitude up there. I moved to Pittsburgh a little over 2 years ago, and although I miss my family, I would never move back to Erie.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Erie folks are very close minded, very unaccepting of other cultures and lifestyles. If you want to get an idea for what I'm talking about, check out goerie.com, which is the Erie Times News website. Read the local opinion page and take in what these people rant and rave about. A few months ago, a marriage notice was run for two men who married in California. There was a whole page of letters to the editor complaining about this. Thats the prevailing attitude up there. I moved to Pittsburgh a little over 2 years ago, and although I miss my family, I would never move back to Erie.
I can't believe people in Erie, a city replete with culture and higher education opportunities, could be that "simple" and ignorant to make such a big deal out of a same-sex couple joining together when they live thousands of miles away! How does that affect THEIR lives in any way? I have news for the folks in Erie. Gays/lesbians have been getting hitched in Hartford, Boston, Pittsfield, Stamford, Mystic, etc. for quite some time now, and guess what? There are NO plagues of locusts. There are NO raining frogs. People aren't bleeding from their eyes as they kill their first-born. I don't understand why so many heterosexuals think that the relationship shared by my partner and I is any of their damn business? You don't see ME protesting at THEIR weddings, do you? I'd tell these people to "get a job," but given the recession that might be a bit too far out of reach.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,951 times
Jeez, if only the people of Erie could be as rational, thoughtful, and open-minded as these last couple posts. I can't believe people think that a few letters to the editor represents the entire city. Take a deep breath and think for pete's sake.

Please don't rely on this forum to make a decision, you will mostly get sweeping stereotyped views. Erie is like most places, it's what you make of it. But it is true that good jobs are scarce, though this is true for most of the US.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I can't believe people in Erie, a city replete with culture and higher education opportunities, could be that "simple" and ignorant to make such a big deal out of a same-sex couple joining together when they live thousands of miles away! How does that affect THEIR lives in any way? I have news for the folks in Erie. Gays/lesbians have been getting hitched in Hartford, Boston, Pittsfield, Stamford, Mystic, etc. for quite some time now, and guess what? There are NO plagues of locusts. There are NO raining frogs. People aren't bleeding from their eyes as they kill their first-born. I don't understand why so many heterosexuals think that the relationship shared by my partner and I is any of their damn business? You don't see ME protesting at THEIR weddings, do you? I'd tell these people to "get a job," but given the recession that might be a bit too far out of reach.
Do a search on goerie.com, and you will see for yourself.

There is a large and growing population of immigrants settling in Erie, but as I said, people have a serious backwoods attitude towards these folks. You hear a lot of the "speak English" type attitude.

When I was growing up, the old saying was that Erie was "ten years behind" the rest of the country, and it's really the truth.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
nsgjdennis, the trick to making a life for yourself in Erie -- or anywhere else for that matter -- is finding your niche. (sounds easy, eh?) Get yourself involved immediately in whatever interests you. There are a wide variety of people in Erie, and a wide variety of activities. The people -- and again, this applies to anywhere -- are as friendly as you'll allow them to be.

A salary of $45,000 should be just fine. The cost of living is still relatively low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
A few months ago, a marriage notice was run for two men who married in California. There was a whole page of letters to the editor complaining about this. Thats the prevailing attitude up there.
Pssssst .... That happens everywhere, not just in Erie. And since when are letters to the editor the "prevailing attitude"? Including my conservative (she gets worse with age, LOL) mom and all her old biddie friends, I don't know anyone in Erie who would complain about same-sex marriages.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,951 times
Ohiogirl, if you ever decide to run for prez, you've got my vote.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
nsgjdennis, the trick to making a life for yourself in Erie -- or anywhere else for that matter -- is finding your niche. (sounds easy, eh?) Get yourself involved immediately in whatever interests you. There are a wide variety of people in Erie, and a wide variety of activities. The people -- and again, this applies to anywhere -- are as friendly as you'll allow them to be.

A salary of $45,000 should be just fine. The cost of living is still relatively low.

Pssssst .... That happens everywhere, not just in Erie.
I don't know where you live, but things like that are just an every day fact of life in citys like Pittsburgh. Erie is very behind the times in accepting alternate lifestyles. Although there are many organizations to welcome and care for immigrants in Erie, there is a strong prevailing negative attitude towards immigrants.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post

My man, BORED is what you'll be in Erie. Especially with that type of income there. There won't be alot of people your age with that type of money in Erie. I suggest you go to Pittsburgh instead. Just cause you grew up in a small town, doesn't mean you haven't outgrown the small town life. You will regret moving to Erie if you do, believe me, you will. After living in DC, you'll die in Erie. I know you think you hate it there now, when you leave, you'll be suprised at what you miss (including all the pretty women).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania