Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM

271 posts, read 657,238 times

Advertisements

I'm single and in my early 40's looking at moving to Pennsylvania based upon suggestions I received off of citi-data.

As I will be coming from across the country (Seattle area) and will have little money to get started I want to start looking for potential employers now so, I need to know where to focus my efforts.

As stated I'm single with no kids so good schools are not a factor except for the field I'm in is social services and wouldn't mind working for a school district in the Special Education program. I hold a bachelors degree but not a teaching endorsement but when the time is right I would be willing to go back to school in order to obtain one. However, with that being said I've been in social services for 20+ years and may want to look at other possibilities so an area with a diverse industry would be great. (I'm not into technology and would prefer to not have an office job. It doesn't have to pay much but enough for me to feel comfortable living with just one 40 hour-per week position, and it doesn't take much for me to feel comfortable. If it's just me, a studio apartment would be fine)

I prefer rural areas or big cities as compared to suburbs. I could live in either as long as I could get to the other within a couple hours drive. If living in a city, a decent public transportation system is needed as I don't like driving in big cities.

I currently have a 23 year-old roommate who may or may not be coming with me. If he does however, he is needing to go to school so a town with a junior college would be great. (No, we are not gay but I know it may seem odd seeing a 42 year-old man living with a 23 year-old man while not related)

The area MUST be pet-friendly.

Is this alot of information? Do you need more? The suggestions I've heard mostly is Pittsburgh or the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area but could there be more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
I'm single and in my early 40's looking at moving to Pennsylvania based upon suggestions I received off of citi-data.

As I will be coming from across the country (Seattle area) and will have little money to get started I want to start looking for potential employers now so, I need to know where to focus my efforts.

As stated I'm single with no kids so good schools are not a factor except for the field I'm in is social services and wouldn't mind working for a school district in the Special Education program. I hold a bachelors degree but not a teaching endorsement but when the time is right I would be willing to go back to school in order to obtain one. However, with that being said I've been in social services for 20+ years and may want to look at other possibilities so an area with a diverse industry would be great. (I'm not into technology and would prefer to not have an office job. It doesn't have to pay much but enough for me to feel comfortable living with just one 40 hour-per week position, and it doesn't take much for me to feel comfortable. If it's just me, a studio apartment would be fine)

I prefer rural areas or big cities as compared to suburbs. I could live in either as long as I could get to the other within a couple hours drive. If living in a city, a decent public transportation system is needed as I don't like driving in big cities.

I currently have a 23 year-old roommate who may or may not be coming with me. If he does however, he is needing to go to school so a town with a junior college would be great. (No, we are not gay but I know it may seem odd seeing a 42 year-old man living with a 23 year-old man while not related)

The area MUST be pet-friendly.

Is this alot of information? Do you need more? The suggestions I've heard mostly is Pittsburgh or the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area but could there be more?
I don't know the Scranton area that well, but Pittsburgh would be fine for you. You can get a decent 1BR place in the city for $600. If you are really going cheap, then you could get a studio or crap 1BR for $400-$500. Check out Monroeville, Ross Twp, West Mifflin, Brentwood, Kennedy Twp, Bethel Park, Baldwin, etc. You could easily find a decent 1BR in those areas for $500 or less. If you are cool with living in a bit rougher area, try McKees Rocks, Penn Hills, Sharpsburg, or Carrick. If you're just a single guy that minds his business, I doubt you'd have any trouble. It's not the greatest area to raise kids, but it's not a war zone either.

One issue could be the pet friendly thing. Most of the apts in Pittsburgh are carpeted, so they can be cautious about allowing cats or dogs. If you are willing to pay an extra deposit and go with a cheaper apt, then the landlord will probably work with you. You might just have to search around a little more though. Check out the Post-Gazette or Tribune Review for apts. If you move to a place like Bethel Park, Beechview, Castle Shannon, etc then you can take the T into the city and will be able to drive a lot less.

If you like the Pittsburgh area, but no the places I've suggested, or if they are too expensive, check out some other small cities in the area, like Greensburg, Butler, Uniontown, Washington. They are cheap, small towns and easy to drive around. They might give you a suburban feel though, I dunno. Plus, most of them, like Greensburg and Butler, are a close drive into the city when you do what to go do something in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Pittsburgh would be great for you. The cost of living is much more affordable than the eastern side of the state. You can live in the middle of the city and have access to utterly rural areas in less than an hour. You don't need to live in the surrounding towns. You can find an apartment within your price range within the city neighborhoods that are more gritty, like Lawrenceville.

Many landlords will allow pets with an additional security deposit. Check out craig's list, but the best way to find an apartment is to drive around and find 'for rent' signs.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
Erie, State College, and Harrisburg.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
that's tough, you could live just about anywhere. Philly or Pittsburgh would get my vote. both have large districts and lots of hospitals. there are plenty of smaller places like lancaster city and harrisburg (on a higher speed train line to philly and nyc if that's of interest). I think I read about a large hospital complex near altoona. perhaps you should start applying to both places and go whereever you get the job.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,095 times
all I know is stay out of scranton worst place to start living in. moved here 7 years ago and keep telling myself things will get better as of this year deciding to go back to state I came from. landords are greedy,jobs don't pay enough, and if looking for help, not very friendly enviroment to get it. better off going to a bigger city where they may be more of options. Now to attend colleges, they do have great colleges, all about it.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 29,299 times
Stay out of Scranton, that's my advice to you. High taxes, absentee landloards who only care about receiving their rent checks, rude/ignorant people, poor school system (even though you said it's not a consideration), no jobs, ( the few ones that are available pay badly) economically depressed area, tons and tons of corruption, a lot of "white trash", freeloaders, VERY BAD PARKING situations in downtown and good luck with off-street parking, (people from Scranton hate outsiders of any kind, even ones a few minutes from the area), culturally lacking, brains, education, work experience, dedication and hard work mean nothing regarding obtaining employment, it's "not what you know, but who you know) trust me on this one. I have a Master's degree and I work with a person who has a high school degree at best, but she gets away with ANYTHING at work becasue she and her family are so politically connected. She's rude and mean to me and is job wise inferior in her position, but she gets away with stuff that if I ever attempted to do what she does, I'd be fired pronto.

The school district is very, very nepotistic, so unless you or your family have connections, or you're very, very lucky, don't count on getting a job there.

Do some more searching, buy some books, goggle, go to your local library, ask friends/neighbors, simply do some research and take it from someone who works in Scranton, it is as they say "the armpit of Pennsylvania".

Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM

139 posts, read 365,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein 101 View Post
Do some more searching, buy some books, goggle, go to your local library, ask friends/neighbors, simply do some research and take it from someone who works in Scranton, it is as they say "the armpit of Pennsylvania".
Every time I hear of Scranton, it reminds me of Archie Bunker yelling "Scranton!" to Edith when she wants him to go there to visit family with her. Makes me smile every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania