Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 08:36 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I did not see a post about Cuba trip being plea for finances. What resort? The Nanettes Villa in NY? Who was the plea being made to?
Sorry, but I just can't plow through all the pages to get some of the particulars, so I generalized.

Yes, the resort was the one in the Catskills. Probably was Nanette's Villa. And they supposedly went to Cuba at the time of the revolution to speak to Castro. A lot of money was funneled through Cuba to American businesses, I think. So maybe the money for the Villa was in jeopardy and they wanted to get it before Castro froze American assets. As I said, it's been so long since we hashed this stuff out that I'm fuzzy on the details. But I don't think Mildred would have stayed in Cuba. That's the point. I think it was just a business trip to try to save the Villa. And there was a war. Americans stopped going to Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 PM

197 posts, read 196,062 times
Facts relayed to me by Nannette indicated that this was not a business trip to Cuba and was in no way connected to Nannette's Villa which was located in Windham, N.Y.. For those posters that think Mildred May have returned to Cuba, Nannette stated that Mildred did not like it there. Lack of leads after 1960 lead me to believe that the reports of Mildred being killed in an accident could be accurate. I am still waiting to hear back from proper N.Y. departments regarding a death certificate or lack thereof.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:09 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Facts relayed to me by Nannette indicated that this was not a business trip to Cuba and was in no way connected to Nannette's Villa which was located in Windham, N.Y.. For those posters that think Mildred May have returned to Cuba, Nannette stated that Mildred did not like it there. Lack of leads after 1960 lead me to believe that the reports of Mildred being killed in an accident could be accurate. I am still waiting to hear back from proper N.Y. departments regarding a death certificate or lack thereof.
Also ask who holds the death certificate if she passed out of NYC. I tried to get a death certificate and burial location for Mount Vernon NY Jane Doe. Went to the main FOIA web site, they told me they did not have it and to contact Mount Vernon. My friend who lived there called, they refuse to release it.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:31 PM

859 posts, read 706,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I won't quote the entire comment made by Authentic Bird.
From what we know is that no one has any evidence that the Op's mother was alive or deceased after about 1961-1962. Contact with those on his grandfather's side gave no clues. Even an obituary that mentioned all the daughters. And per that obituary Mildred was not the only daughter whose whereabouts are, and were, unknown. If the person who wrote the obituary did have knowledge about their female siblings, then for some reason they decided to only mention locations of the male survivors.

Contact with a close teen friend of Mildred from the late 1950's only mentions a possible auto accident.

Also we strongly believe, as Roselvr and others have stated, that there may have been some unusual connection (between the persons who traveled to Cuba) and Cuban citizens who may have had high levels of authority such that the return trip could occur. Upon return and in the months to follow, that is where the three persons went separate ways. Mildred to New York City, and the other two to CT. And the latter two did not have a good relationship and thus the mother did not know anything about her friend Mildred and if she did she took it to her grave.

To me it's difficult to suppose this because of 2 things:
1-I have no idea about U.S laws and what people need to determine that traveling at that time was possible or not possible. It might be possible and we don't understand it.

It's not necessarily there is something out of ordinary just because we don't understand it. Still there are other possible situations.
For example: If there is such an agreement between 2 countries that allow ALL their citizens to travel From: To: their countries without a passport, then it's no wonder if someone traveled without a passport, because passport in this case would be optional. but they need something else to use instead of using passport such as ID card. Was there such a thing at that time or not, I don't know, go check/look at history.

2-I have no idea bout these historical events and its effects on people; this is the first time I read it.

Overall, in an any case, not only this one, I tend to take FIRST things that obvious, close to the mind, normal/natural reasons, when it becomes proved that it's not from this type, then it's OK to think about other reasons even if it seems out of ordinary.

In related with traveling to Cuba, according to me :

* I find it hard to believe that M traveled to Cuba for the first time for ONLY tourism, especially when I find them speak about "unrest" there. Although she actually officially considered a "tourist". and I can find a very possible answer to this:

*She didn't travel alone for the first time; she traveled with 2 females. Lady and her daughter.
Depending on it, I tend to believe that she most likely depended almost on them in this trip so that the trip _according to her_ wouldn't be a loss or costly.

* This family seems financially stable at that time;

* so, I don't rule out that they offered to M to travel with them, and the reason could be the same reason; what was her job in her country at the time she knew them, it could be the same in the trip to Cuba; the Nannette's mother needs a "Babysitter."

* The Nannette's mother MAYBE offered to Mildred to travel with them as a babysitter to her daughter or others siblings (if she had). Like this, the trip for Mildrid will be a job & tourism at the same time.

* What makes me think of this, that they stayed in Cuba for 3 weeks to 1 month, according to Nannette; it's long relatively.

*Op described Esperanza's daughter as rebellious in page 35 "Mildred had been retained by the mother to be a Nanny to the mother's rebellious daughter." She might listen to Mildred more than her mom and that could make Esperanza's think that Mildred is a suitable/perfect babysitter. It will make dealing with her daughter easiest. Look, when they came back from Cuba, Mildred still was working to them as a babysitter.

* For the Esperanza and her daughter, this wasn't the first time they traveled to Cuba; they have had traveled to Cuba multiple times before; so they were familiar with the country and places there. The trip itself to Cuba is not a position of wondering according to them.

(Only this part that was unclear about traveling documents for them and Mildred, and this is not just limited with them, BTW, there were other a few passengers who have the same situation, according to what mentioned in this thread)

* My first thought about their multi-times trip to Cuba is that they could have relatives or family members, or even they might have home there so that they don't need to rent.

* If Op's mom worked as a babysitter to this family, there could, most likely, be a trust between them so that she wouldn't mind/worry to travel with them as a babysitter during "unrest" in a foreign country. She would have an idea from them that this is not the first time to them and how the situation is there and travel procedures and so on. If she didn't feel a guarantee that she would be safe there, I don't think she would have taken such a risk.

* At first, I thought that she might be died or killed or even lived in Cuba BUT SINCE it's proved that Op's mother REENTERED her country from Cuba in Nov 59, then you can make sure that she got back safe to her country. (The last point to her is US)

* I also don't tend to believe that she returned back to Cuba because she didn't like there. It's the first experience to her in this country, and she didn't like it, it's most likely she wouldn't travel there again.

* Op mentioned that "according to Nannette, Mildred continued to be her Nanny for 8 or 9 months." This is after they came back from Cuba, according to my understanding. They returned back to US in Nov 59, if so, it means she continued working with this family as a babysitter until Jul or Aug 60.
I don't understand why would you calculate from the year 61. Still there are 4 months before the end of the year 60. During these 4 months, no body knows where she was, I see to calculate from 1960 or it's better to be from Nov 59 because this date is documented.

You mentioned:
Quote:
Upon return and in the months to follow, that is where the three persons went separate ways. Mildred to New York City, and the other two to CT.
And the latter two did not have a good relationship and thus the mother did not know anything about her friend Mildred and if she did she took it to her grave.
Your theory is not necessarily. Look, after they comeback from Cuba, they didn't separate immediately, Mildred was still working for them as a babysitter in their home or villa until Jul or Aug 1960. After that, she is supposed to move. When she moved, do you think that the family already/immediately moved to CT at the same time Mildred left?
It's possible but I don't think so.

It most likely they stayed in their home for some time while Op's mother already moved to NYC.
What makes me believe in this, that for them, No need to be on rush; according to them, it's their own home depending on what I understood, it's called Nanttee's villa. They have a constant address in this region. Plus, they most likely have a phone No.

For Mildred, she didn't have a constant address (at least, no proof).
She didn't a have a constant phone No. What it seems that she moved from a place to place, or work to another; her address in changing and phone No as well.

When Op's mother wanted to move, she didn't think to get back to her hometown, although almost all her family was there, despite of this, she still thinking of NY or NYC, it seems that the job opportunities there were higher, and she already applied or looking to apply for another job in NY (this is what I suppose). If she applied for a new job, and official job (documented), for instance, not like a babysitter, she would need to do a contract, and to fill a form or application, this would require her some info include her phone No1, and another phone No2, (It could be someone else to call if she is not available).
In this case, she is not in her hometown, this job will be at NY according to this hypothesis, she might think to put a phone No for someone she knows in NY. The last persons she knows there were this family (Esperanza & her daughter); the constant address she knows in NY could be this home/villa that she had worked in before. I don't rule out that she put their phone No in the job registration form.
In a case that she was absent for several days from the job, for instance, or something bad happened to her such as an emergency situation, they most likely could call the spare Number she provided to them in NY. Like this, there is a way that Esperanza and her daughter knew about Op's mother & car accident (If it were really true).

As I said, this is if Esperanza and her daugter didn't move at the same time Mildred moved to NYC/NY (which I think so). So, they might stay 4 months or 2 months or even 1 month in their home after JUL or Aug 1960. During this period of time, they were still living in NY, and during this also, the accident to Op's mom MIGHT happen.

Yes, I agree with you about Mildred and her communication with her family. I'm I believe that there is no any kind of contact between M and anyone of her family! To live totally isolated as if she forgot that she has relatives. At least she would keep in touch with someone in her hometown, so I don't rule out her mother; even if she had a rare contact.

-In related with a car accident:

There is something I think it's supposed to be available. I suggest Op to ask Nannette the following questions:
- HOW did her mother tell her about Mildred? What happened so that her mom told her about the car accident?
Did she, for instance:

All in a sudden, went to her daughter and told her, nanny that had worked with us before died in a car accident?

Or
The mother had received a call from someone, then she told her daughter about this news.

Or
The daughter asked her mom, what happened to the nanny who worked at our home before, there is no news or any contact from her, then her mother told her about Mildred and car accident

Or

They were fighting, angry/ have arguments, through out that, the mother told her daughter about the death of Mildred in a car accident?

Also these questions:

-Did Mildred say :Good bye to them or to Nannette before her leaving? Or she just left in a sudden way?

-Did Nannette's mother tell her daughter that Mildred will go to NYC or she got this info from Mildred herself?

-Did Mildred have a clear idea before that her work as a babysitter will be finished after 8 or 9 months and then she will leave this family's home?

At the end, I noticed something in this thread; Op and other posters when they speak about Mildred & her moving, one time use NY and other times use NYC, do you distinguish between them Or you use them randomly? I always deal with them as one, but it seems you distinguish between them.

NY includes NYC BUT NYC is NOT include NY
NYC is a part of NY

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

IF you distinguish between them; look, Op now has sent a to New York City Department of Heath & Mental Hygiene, Bureau of Vital Records for a Death Certificate.

And he hes also said before:

Quote:
We already know from a previous post of mine that the Office of Chief Medical Examiner NYC found nothing in their records when searching under Mildred May Galvin and they pointed me in the direction of the above mentioned agency
I would say, he needs to make sure, MAYBE, Op's mother went to NY not necessorily NYC as Nannette stated, if this info (car accident ) were true, it might be happened at somewhere in NY.
When there is some similarity in ( names, numbers...etc.) People could get a mistake when they recall the info from their memory.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post

* Op mentioned that "according to Nannette, Mildred continued to be her Nanny for 8 or 9 months." This is after they came back from Cuba, according to my understanding. They returned back to US in Nov 59, if so, it means she continued working with this family as a babysitter until Jul or Aug 60.
I don't understand why would you calculate from the year 61. Still there are 4 months before the end of the year 60. During these 4 months, no body knows where she was, I see to calculate from 1960 or it's better to be from Nov 59 because this date is documented.

Sorry, I used 1961 as an estimate without going back deep into the thread.

I actually spoke to someone who lived in that small town at that time and they were not able to tell me anything about the Villa or anyone that worked there. Phone book records from late 59 to late summer 60 were not located.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:15 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
At the end, I noticed something in this thread; Op and other posters when they speak about Mildred & her moving, one time use NY and other times use NYC, do you distinguish between them Or you use them randomly? I always deal with them as one, but it seems you distinguish between them.

I think most of us assumed NYC. I think that would be because they all already living in NY state. Nanette's Villa was located in Windham in the Catskill Mountain resort area of NY state, not in the city.

Could be a good idea to search the state of NY thought, instead of just NYC.

Also, the idea that Esperanza had family in Cuba seems to make sense to me. I remember that Nanette was supposed to have said that Mildred met with Fidel Castro because she spoke Spanish. I'm just throwing this out there because it doesn't make sense to me that Mildred would have spoken Spanish. She came from Waterbury, CT, a factory city where the most recent arrivals would have been French Canadians or Polish people who came to work in the many factories around the late 19th/early 20th century. I think Mildred would have only spoken English. Could be that Esperanza spoke Spanish and it was she who met with Castro.

I still can't come up with any answers as to why they went to Cuba though. What was so important that they needed to speak with Castro. But also, it has been stated that it was not a business trip. So what was it? A family visit? What about speaking with Castro?

However, I still don't think the trip to Cuba would pertain to solving the mystery, whatever the reason was. But I do think maybe asking Nanette some more questions and expanding the search for a death in NY state instead of only the city might be worthwhile. She could have been a resident of NYC but killed in an accident in another part of the state. I think there would have been a record if she had been a resident but maybe not. Or maybe a mistake was made.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:42 PM

First, when I do any kind of searching with regards to NYC and New York state I search both state records and N.Y.C records as I have learned that some of the records are compiled in and for the city due to the large population.
Second, Esperanza had family in Puerto Rico not in Cuba.
Third, Cuba trip was of a personal nature which I am not at liberty to discuss.
Fourth, Do we know if Castro spoke English or had a interpreter? Mildred most likely spoke to Castro to seek safe passage back to the States. I have been trying to limit my phone calls to Nannette as her tone leads me to believe she is tiring with my questions

Old 12-25-2018, 12:55 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Yes, Fidel Castro spoke English - enough to do some interviews in English and to give a few (at least) speeches in English. But likely he would have had an interpreter on hand too.

If Nannette is tiring of your questions, it could partly be because you're phoning her when she's not in the mood, or is tired or busy, etc. Perhaps if you wrote your questions out, leaving space underneath each question for her answers, she could answer (either in her own hand, or dictate to someone else), at a time she is feeling up to it. Send it snail mail, and she can post it back to you when she's ready. Just a thought.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
In the 1957 newspaper ads for Nanette's Villa, Mrs Hope Towers was listed as prop. I wonder if she is possibly living?
Mildred was Nanette's nanny/companion but I am unclear how long she was employed by Mrs Hecker as such.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Nannette had told me that Mildred remained her Nanny for 8 to 9 months following the return from Cuba. In a later conversation she said 3 or 4 months. Either scenario lands up being at some point in 1960. Nannette said that Mildred returned to Manhattan. I never noticed the Hope Towers thing, I will look into it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search