Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Anybody else have no serious plans to save for retirement? I can't think of a reason why I'd actually want to retire and therefore don't save for it in any sort of serious way.
There is great comfort in retirement, and a very good night's sleep, with the knowledge that I have no debt and live comfortably resulting from living below my means all during my working years, and maximizing saving through pension plans and private accounts

To the OP ~~ Even though the economic times are very different from when I was in the workforce, our future plans don't always turn out the way we expect. Therefore, considering all financial savings options for retirement is prudent if you want to enjoy it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well what do you when your body gets old and creaky and you don't want to burn out 12 hour days anymore?
I don't plan on being able to work as much as I can today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
All I ask is if you want to be that guy? I don't but if you want to, I certainly am not holding you back.
No, but that is not the worse case, the worse case is having to rely on social security.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
There is great comfort in retirement, and a very good night's sleep, with the knowledge that I have no debt and live comfortably resulting from living below my means all during my working years, and maximizing saving through pension plans and private accounts
One can have no debt whether they are retired or not, I wouldn't recommend people in their 50's+ have debt.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:42 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times
I'm not planning on retiring in the sense that at a set age that I will quit working. What I am concerned about is having a large savings and no debt so that I can quit working if I had to. I would prefer to cut back on working when I am in my 50s or 60s, but still have a decent income. I am self employed and have 20 years to get my business set up that I can have a higher income with less work. Even if I had a lot of money saved when I am 60, I wouldn't want to be looking at draining it for 10-20 years. I'd rather be able to cover my bill with income and take some vacations here and there.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
I live below my means and it does pay off in the long run.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I live below my means and it does pay off in the long run.
Unless you got hit by a bus tomorrow, in which case it wouldn't pay off.

This is the problem with all the comments in this thread, it completely ignores the very real possibility that one dies before they hit retirement age, if that occurs then retirement savings was a complete waste.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times
Quote:
Unless you got hit by a bus tomorrow, in which case it wouldn't pay off.

This is the problem with all the comments in this thread, it completely ignores the very real possibility that one dies before they hit retirement age, if that occurs then retirement savings was a complete waste.
True, but most people live to be at least 77.9 years of age.
FASTSTATS - Life Expectancy

Given, this varies by your health, family history,...etc.
But probability is that you will probably live to at least 75. So go against probability if you want, I know I wouldn't...
That is like saying, there is an 80% chance I will live until 75-- but instead I am placing my bet on the 20% chance I'll die before then-- just silly.

You complain of people ignoring the possibility they won't live until retirement-- but that isn't supported by any evidence-- so why take note of it? Better to look at reality. And the reality is-- most Americans live until they are 77.9 =)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
That is like saying, there is an 80% chance I will live until 70-- but instead I am placing my bet on the 20% chance I'll die before then-- just silly.
Except that I'm not saying that at all, rather people aren't appropriately pricing the potential of a death before retirement age.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times
Quote:
Except that I'm not saying that at all, rather people aren't appropriately pricing the potential of a death before retirement age.
I think most people do price the potential of death before retirement age by enjoying life (and getting life insurance). No one says you have to put all your money into retirement account to the point where you can't enjoy living life...

But if you aren't saving at least something for retirement, you aren't pricing the potential of life after retirement age... (which is MUCH more likely)

Sure, I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. For that matter, an airplane could crash into my house-- or maybe I will fall off a bridge or maybe a giant squid will attack my boat while I'm at sea and devour me whole.

Or maybe I could die from this:
"Americans who die of heart disease or cancer accounted for 48.5 percent of all deaths in 2007."
What Is the Life Expectancy in United States? - Wellsphere
^^ most of those people probably died sometime around 75 - 85

Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,934 times
Quote:
How do you appropriately price the potential of a death before retirement? Retirement savings is a very small portion of an average income, like 15%. 85% to live in the now and enjoy life, 15% so you can have a comfortable future. This is not such a difficult concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance