Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What is CalPERS?
California Public Employees Retirement System... I've been a public employee for the last 4 years, and have a small amount invested already.

Quote:
What is considered very little?
Maybe $5000, give or take? That's only from a few years of contributions, and not always with full-time work... so it should grow a lot more before retirement, which is still many years away.

Quote:
What is a guaranteed nest egg?
Inheritance and trust funds... not going to share specifics, however, as I'm already saying more than I typically would in mixed company.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-10-2011 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
CalPERS is California State Employee pension. I think they pay into it, but not very much, as it is a pension and not a 401K... but she's guaranteed when she retires to get (correct me if I am wrong) 80% of her last years salary for the rest of her life. And at least from what I hear, they often pump up the last year as much as they can for their retirement.
Not sure about that last part, but you're correct about the rest... my mother was a public librarian (like myself) for 20+ years, and when she turns 65 in 2 years she'll receive 80% of her former salary for life. She's actually working for a private institution now, but that doesn't affect her public pension or when it begins.

Quote:
It's not uncommon for people that have a pension to not save tons of cash because they have that mindset that the pension is there forever... but she's also right about there being a danger in that mindset. Public employee pensions just could go the way of the rest of the private pensions.... extinct.
I'm not depending on my pension, and in fact I didn't even understand it until recently... I am fairly naive about finances, for reasons mostly related to my upbringing. It's a nice thing to have, of course, but it's definitely not my only "plan for the future."

Quote:
There's a huge backlash on public pensions out here. There are tons of cities throughout California whose pension pay ins are larger than the rest of their city budgets. It's strangling our cities. There have to be cut backs. The police have given back a little -- they are paying in more of their own salary... but it's still a drop in the bucket.
Most of the regular Joes who perform public jobs get a nice pension, but it's not exactly a fortune. I think my mother will be getting around $35K/year, after working in the public libraries for over 20 years (and in urban public schools prior to that). We're also talking about a librarian, which is a highly skilled & post-graduate education profession - so it's not like she "lucked into" a good job. I don't know enough to comment further, but I suspect it's somewhat hyped up in the media.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-10-2011 at 02:51 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM

143 posts, read 320,015 times
Quote:
So why not invest in 401K and IRA's since that is the Stock market? They have tax savings.
It's about risk. The market is volatile these days. I'm not in the mood to be a trader.

Article about people losing more than they can handle in the markets. Clash in Bangladesh as stocks dive - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

Not everyone should be invested in the markets, they may have a 401k/IRA, but many people don't know what they are invested in, but you know that already.

Like someone stated earlier, they have a 401k but it is invested in their business or themselves, where they actually run or own the company, that's not listed on the market. That's when I want to have one. I should have stated down the road that I'd have opened 401k/IRA accounts, but just not right now. I'm just in cash right now. I'm not in debt or broke, this is where I want to be, I'm not less or better than anyone either.

Drive on any highway in America and you will see "for sale" signs everywhere, on homes, lands, businesses, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, et cetera. I bought another car, and a truck recently, paid cash. I have waited patiently, now it's my turn to buy at good prices. People need cash.

My actions are my consequences, good or bad. I hope you can see from point of view. Stocks/Bonds aren't the only type of investment that pay dividends. There isn't only one road to success. If you have a define contribution plan or define benefits plan, good for you. Good luck to you all.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
I'm not really saving for retirement. I save, but my game plan is to buy many rental property, invest in the stock market, and what not, no 401k or IRA, I understand them. Plan on just living my life. I have plenty of tricks up my sleeves to make money when I get older, don't really plan on retiring either.
Quote:
So why not invest in 401K and IRA's since that is the Stock market? They have tax savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
It's about risk. The market is volatile these days. I'm not in the mood to be a trader.

Not everyone should be invested in the markets,....
Huh???

You stated that you invest in the stock market, but don't have a 401(k) or IRA. Texas User then asked why you don't invest in the stock market within the confines of a 401(k) or IRA to gain tax advantages since you already stated that you invest in the stock market, and you then replied that the market is volatile and not everyone should be invested in the markets.

Once again....huh??

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM

143 posts, read 320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Huh???

You stated that you invest in the stock market, but don't have a 401(k) or IRA. Texas User then asked why you don't invest in the stock market within the confines of a 401(k) or IRA to gain tax advantages since you already stated that you invest in the stock market, and you then replied that the market is volatile and not everyone should be invested in the markets.

Once again....huh??
I believe I wrote "not right now", "game plan", "in cash".

Maybe you should read my last post a few more times.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Anybody else have no serious plans to save for retirement? I can't think of a reason why I'd actually want to retire and therefore don't save for it in any sort of serious way.
Your attitude is very nieve. Did you ever think you may not be desirable to employees at 70 years old?

What if your health in old age prevents you from working?

You talk about how if yoru disabled you'll live off disability. DIsability with no other income is a pretty sad life.

Keep up this attitude and you coudl get lucky and have no problems but you could also end up eating cat food in a state subsidized apt in a bad neighborhood.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Your attitude is very nieve. Did you ever think you may not be desirable to employees at 70 years old?
I'm assuming you mean employers and as I've mentioned previously, I'm not considered about employers as I much prefer self-employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
You talk about how if yoru disabled you'll live off disability. DIsability with no other income is a pretty sad life.
Not really, I can simply purchase a home cash in a low-cost area and the disability checks would be sufficient to pay for everything else. Although this wouldn't be my preference, I can think of plenty of things to keep myself busy and happy in such a scenario.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,399 times
Quote:
Anybody else have no serious plans to save for retirement? I can't think of a reason why I'd actually want to retire and therefore don't save for it in any sort of serious way.
it makes me fishy thinking about retirement so

Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
I'm assuming you mean employers and as I've mentioned previously, I'm not considered about employers as I much prefer self-employment.

Not really, I can simply purchase a home cash in a low-cost area and the disability checks would be sufficient to pay for everything else. Although this wouldn't be my preference, I can think of plenty of things to keep myself busy and happy in such a scenario.
ha ha ha ha ha..... more power to ya living that life...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ha ha ha ha ha..... more power to ya living that life...
"That life" is a worse case scenario and its very unlikely to occur, but if it does, I'm okay with that. Its much more likely that I'm dirty rich by the time I'm 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance