Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
THere's a cliche about work/money, "No one ever says on their deathbed, 'I wish I'd spent more time in the office.'" Well, I'll bet there are a lot of people, especially women, who get older saying, "I wish I'd been more attentive to my financial well-being." If that means spending more time in the office, maybe, so be it. There's a time for everything, and there's a time where being prudent for the future makes a lot of sense. I say this as someone who got a little prudent at age 28 in getting my RN, but didn't get serious about saving money or going back to a job because of its pension plan until I was in my late 40s. Now at 57, I'm very glad I did, and will continue to follow my plan as possible.
I know more than a few people in my age group who are headed for an older age of cat food on sale for dinner. Dunno what they think is going to happen, but they'll find out, all right.
I agree, better safe then sorry later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
None of these things are a problem.
They aren't a problem now but what do we know about the future?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
We don't care! When my husband had the chance to go with 401K, I thought the better option was to get an RV and go on vacations to Disney World. Now, I listen to everyone crying about their retirement savings and how they wish they would have spent time with their kids and not worked the extra to put away the money that did the disappearing act and those that had retirement plans based on these accounts complaining and depressed because they can't afford to retire or probably can't afford to retire in the style they had planned. We face a lean retirement but won't be depressed because we and our children have the memories of spending time together and having a life rather than spending 50 years worrying about getting old. Because of longevity issues in our families, we look forward to living so long that we will have the pleasure of the lean retirement. Retirement without a life preceding it.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Last thing we want to end up is being a financial burdeon to our kids because of no or short sighted planning.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
well after 30 pages of threads its apparent this guy has all the answers, lets let him be and let him reap what he sews

Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Why does anyone care if others are saving or what type of lifestyle they want?

Just do what you want and work towards the future you desire...don't look for validation of random strangers.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We don't care! When my husband had the chance to go with 401K, I thought the better option was to get an RV and go on vacations to Disney World. Now, I listen to everyone crying about their retirement savings and how they wish they would have spent time with their kids and not worked the extra to put away the money that did the disappearing act and those that had retirement plans based on these accounts complaining and depressed because they can't afford to retire or probably can't afford to retire in the style they had planned. We face a lean retirement but won't be depressed because we and our children have the memories of spending time together and having a life rather than spending 50 years worrying about getting old. Because of longevity issues in our families, we look forward to living so long that we will have the pleasure of the lean retirement. Retirement without a life preceding it.
You can't eat memories and strangely enough doctors and hospitals don't take memories in payment.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Because of longevity issues in our families, we look forward to living so long that we will have the pleasure of the lean retirement.

Very naive to think just because your folks or grandparents lived long, you will too. And should you need medical care (and most of us do as we age) who is going to pay for that?
Doubt your kids will be too interested in taking you in.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
I put aside money for retirement for ages so that now at 57 I am "retired." It doesn't mean not working, it means working part time so I have more leisure time and having the ability to choose a job that I like and if I can't find it, having the ability to say this is BS and I am not working here. You can't count on the govt. Based on family history, I plan on living until I am 104 since my uncles, aunts and grandparents have and are making it well into their 90's. I know that there will be decades where I simply won't be able to work.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So don't get too ill to work after you are 65
I'm not going to be alive at 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
How do you know this? Do you have a financial plan for your health?
Let's see, I'm back in college for the second time, I work friggin' retail. I live with my mother. I hate my life. I could very well outlive everyone in my family and be alone. I'm just hoping I don't live that long and try not to think about it at all. How's that for an answer?

BTW I'm not trying to be negative or rude I just seriously don't see a bright future in my life at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance