Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Getting back to my comment above about contacting the Comptroller of Currency, I went to their site and could not find anything very specific.

However, I do believe that a regulated lender may not arbitrarily refuse you credit merely because your credit references are not on their everyday list of sources. If you make a good faith request for credit and can supply evidence of a favorable credit history, I believe a credit card company would be in violation of fair credit regulations if they refused to take that into account.

Write to : Comptroller of the Currency, Washington, DC 20219

or online, www.occ.treas.gov and look for an applicable feedback form.

Have you tried applying for a Discover Card? They have been very aggressive about expanding their credibility in the marketplace, and I bet they would pay attention to your arguments. Also, American Express is a more internationalzed organization, and are probably better equipped to access and explore your credit history in Canada.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-16-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 11,315 times
I recently moved to the US (just a few months ago) and what I found was a Capitol One card that was set up specifically for this kind of situations. It gave me a $500 credit (not much, but enough to get started) and I had it about a week later. It's a free card and has worked very well for me! Just remember not to charge over 30% of the limit and to pay full balance every month to build good credit. I'm not a finance expert but I do know that having a credit card is a necessity and that a lot of cards will charge you an arm and a leg because you don't have a history in the US. Remember that Prepaid cards are for people who don't have bank accounts and don't help your credit history.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 11,315 times
Just a quick follow up with more details:

Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers Credit Card

-A card designed to help those new to the U.S. build credit
-with automatic reporting to three major credit bureaus
-Learn more about U.S. credit with a free online guide provided by MoneyWi$e
-Earn 2% cash back on travel purchases
-and 1% on all other purchases
-No foreign transaction fees
-No annual fee

These were the things that made me decide to go for it since it's geared very much towards me. I imagine that other major credit card companies have their own but I don't trust Citi (friends have had bad experiences) and it's very difficult to find cards that do not have an annual fee.

I hope you find this helpful!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
When I moved to the US back in 2003, I bought something and ended up getting in-store financing through a furniture store, after that was paid off everything just fell into place.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Store credit cards:
Department stores
Home Depot/Lowes
Gasoline cards
Furniture/Mattress stores

All of those used to be a good way to establish credit.

Authorized user on an existing account.

Rent an apartment (pay 1st and last months up front, have paycheck ready to verify income and have a letter from employer discussing recent immigration from Canada) - that will help credit rating.

Buy a car (same criteria as above, substantial downpayment, show income, have letter to verify recent immigration)

Get utilities (usually for people with no credit (i.e. 18yr olds) this requires a deposit with the utility).

All of these things can establish credit.

Though the options of using a canadian bank with US branches, sounds like it would be the quickest!! Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance