Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,040,740 times

Advertisements

EXACTLY. It is HER fault. What she is doing is WRONG and yes people should judge. People should not get a free ride. Some people need to be embarrassed sometimes. Really it can be a learning tool. Geez!! Shame on her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,163,877 times
I think it's disgusting. And yes it is HER fault.

My friend actually told me about this yesterday and while I have not watched the video, I did hear that they took away her food stamps now. I think they should make her pay back everything (are they?) and even penalize her.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,798,933 times
She's be back on food stamps before too long. 1 million dollars isn't enough to live off for the rest of your life, in fact, she has already been hit up for 500k in taxes, so the most she could have had was 500k. Throw in a house she paid for cash and a new car how much could she possibly have left? I'd estimate 350k tops, assuming she owned the other house she has outright. If she deposited it in a saving account, it's only earning $3,500 a year, hardly enough to live off of. Without income with two houses to pay taxes and upkeep on, she be really lucky to have any money left before she turns 30 (she's 24 now).

Hell I really doubt someone good at investing in the market could live off this amount, even with a 8% return, after 15% investment taxes, that's about $23,000 a year, not enough to pay for two houses taxes and upkeep and put food on the table.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM

78,718 posts, read 60,905,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
She's be back on food stamps before too long. 1 million dollars isn't enough to live off for the rest of your life, in fact, she has already been hit up for 500k in taxes, so the most she could have had was 500k. Throw in a house she paid for cash and a new car how much could she possibly have left? I'd estimate 350k tops, assuming she owned the other house she has outright. If she deposited it in a saving account, it's only earning $3,500 a year, hardly enough to live off of. Without income with two houses to pay taxes and upkeep on, she be really lucky to have any money left before she turns 30 (she's 24 now).
This is a duplicate thread and I made the same comments in the other.

Generally a lump sum to your typical 24yo on public aid is gonna be blown through in under 2 years.

My buddy whom is a good lawyer always trys to get annuities for some of his poorer and\or less savy\responsible clients instead of lump sum but many just grab the settlement and don't want to hear anything else. And then you have all the companies advertising on TV to convert annuities to a lump sum undoing the intended *protection* built into court ordered settlements etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

3,951 posts, read 6,871,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sure she is! Food stamps have income limitations, which she exceeds.
Well actually she has no "income". She has a higher net worth from what the government taxes as a "bonus". Essentially it doesn't get taxed like income would. Thats where the disconnect is between the two departments. That is why she is allowed to get away with it. I hope that she gets cut off though. Even if she walked away with $550,000 after tax, she still made on average about 22 years of salary at 25K which is probably about average for those around her. Also, if she works for the rest of her life part time, she could probably get away with a modest living never having any real problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump View Post
Arent you guys pissed off at this (female dog) for spending money on lottery tickets while she could have spent the money on food , clothing or housing?
I didnt even factor this into the equation. Now that you mention it, YES! This DOES P*ss me off!

Our tax payers are paying for her chances to win essentially. That is BS.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,798,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Generally a lump sum to your typical 24yo on public aid is gonna be blown through in under 2 years.
I believe statically 70% of all lottery winners blow through there winnings in 5 years or less. Most people just are not equipped to manage that kind of money. They either blow it on crap, or they get into there heads they can invest it on some business venture or another in a industry or field they have no knowledge of.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,470,536 times
Today's news states that she was cut off.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 9,426 times
Absolutely insipid. This situation just goes to show how ineffective and incompetent government is managing from both a federal and state level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance