Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 03:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times

Advertisements

You may prefer there be no answer - may prefer those people be SOL. That doesn't mean it is the way it is or has to be. Let's remember the premise of the thread, as outlined in the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
I can think there will be a huge crisis coming.
"Crisis". It would not be a crisis in the context of the OP if the answer was "those people are SOL". This situation having only anecdotal impact would be the contrapositive of "crisis".

The reality is that the effect of a substantial portion of the population being too old to make a living with little or no resources to live off of very likely will be a crisis in the context of the OP. These people will be our relatives and our neighbors and their situation will affect us all, at least in logistical ways but also, for many people, on a personal level as well.

I'm sure you'll agree that disparagement of those who find themselves in the predicament is inappropriate. It doesn't provide an answer to the question, being little more than evasion of the issue, and relies on presumption and hubris. However, cavalierly writing unfortunate people off is not much better. There are personal finance answers to the question that apply today. Not the "blood from stone" answers, such as what stoutboy posited, but others. It's a bit strange that the thread isn't about that, given that this is a personal finance forum, but perhaps no one finds that aspect interesting to discuss.

However, the reason why this matter comes up is because those resources are in danger. The trends are toward a situation where we will have a "crisis" because today's answers won't exist, and as a result we would have huge contingents of elderly effectively "dying in the streets". The discussions about solutions to the ramifications of those trends aren't personal finance discussions, though. But the fact that they're not relevant to the forum doesn't mean they don't exist, and surely doesn't rationalize prejudicial consideration of or callous disregard directed toward vast portions of the American populace.

I think the most and best we can say is that there are personal finance answers to the question today, and that we don't know what tomorrow will bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 03:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is correct and a fact you you really have to plan for. but if you don't ,can't or won't then you are just SOL.

in the older days folks who couldn't do what they did just found other jobs they could do but they had to keep working until they just died.

as usual freemkt wants to know how those folks who can't save retire. the simple answer is they can't. there are no consolation prizes for failure in this area..

What happens when there are elderly homeless everywhere?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
their retirement plan is work until they can't.

retirement is not a right . it is privilege to stop working and something you aspire to.

If retirement is a privilege it should be taxed.

Sales taxes are based on the concept that the transaction is a privilege.

Arizona allows cities and counties to levy a 3% tax on rentals, based on the same concept of privilege.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
You are taxed whether you work for your money or your money works for you. retirement is your money working for you .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-23-2015 at 03:54 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
their retirement plan is work until they can't.

retirement is not a right . it is privilege to stop working and something you aspire to.

The relevant issue is whether they CHOSE to not save for retirement.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 AM

664 posts, read 807,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The relevant issue is whether they CHOSE to not save for retirement.
Or more likely, their employers CHOSE not to pay them enough to save for retirement.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What happens when there are elderly homeless everywhere?
If I had the answer I would have been a politician instead of a working stiff breaking my butt for 40 years and constantly trying to find ways to beef up retirement savings..

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-23-2015 at 03:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Or more likely, their employers CHOSE not to pay them enough to save for retirement.
employers pay what the market place says that job is worth for the most part.. one needs either more skills that are in demand for more pay , do jobs others do not want to do themselves or get more lower pay jobs.

heck I grew up in a nyc housing project over in the woodside houses as my family struggled making ends meet .
I had 3 jobs in my 20's just to make sure I never went back to that lifestyle ever again. I was a drummer doing gigs weekends , got trained and worked for a commercial ac and refrig company as a tech and worked my own business at night on the side doing service work..

whatever it took. being poor or struggling again was never going to be an option as long as I had the power and health to change things. it has been a life long goal and july 31st at 4:30 pm I will have reached that goal as I retire . game over!

you will always have those who will find a way while others in their situation will find an excuse. I am still friends with some of my project buddies and they chose the excuse route.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-23-2015 at 04:32 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post

Maybe the workers can CHOSE to get better jobs instead of (and you must know this being you are in NYC) playing the race card when things don't go their way and having this learned culture of entitlement

You must live on the Upper West Side or some other bleeding heart neighborhood. Why don't you hire one of these 'low paid workers' who serve you & your rich ilk at Zabars or Duane Reade. You psudo stuck up cosmopolitan types I meet in Cambridge MA and the Upper west side are some of the most hypocritical uppity, bleeding heart elitist types

Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
employers pay what the market place says that job is worth for the most part.. one needs either more skills that are in demand for more pay , do jobs others do not want to do themselves or get more lower pay jobs.

heck I grew up in a nyc housing project over in the woodside houses as my family struggled making ends meet .
I had 3 jobs in my 20's just to make sure I never went back to that lifestyle ever again. I was a drummer doing gigs weekends , got trained and worked for a commercial ac and refrig company as a tech and worked my own business at night on the side doing service work..

whatever it took. being poor or struggling again was never going to be an option as long as I had the power and health to change things. it has been a life long goal and july 31st at 4:30 pm I will have reached that goal as I retire . game over!

you will always have those who will find a way while others in their situation will find an excuse. I am still friends with some of my project buddies and they chose the excuse route.
Don't state the obvious. You have the bleeding hearts who live on the upper west side and those who work and game the system and know how to play the race card to get what they want.

Personally I would dis associate myself from anyone having to do with the 'projects'. Being from NYC and now living in Concord MA (an affluent suburb outside Boston), you must know that those who stay in the projects (and the lifestyle) do so for a reason -- many know how to work and game the system, and the level of violent, thuggish & generally low class behavior is accepted and even encouraged by many in NYC -- believe me such people would be thrown in jail if they displayed such behavior any place else --

why would you want to be seen with or associate with such a class of people and making excuses for their behavior as well as why they can't get out of the "project lifestyle and violent behavior for street cred" is just a cop out

Last edited by NickL28; 01-23-2015 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance