Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is correct and a fact you you really have to plan for. but if you don't ,can't or won't then you are just SOL.

in the older days folks who couldn't do what they did just found other jobs they could do but they had to keep working until they just died.

as usual freemkt wants to know how those folks who can't save retire. the simple answer is they can't. there are no consolation prizes for failure in this area..
Yes there is no consolation prize for the individual nor as we may learn for society when there are to many individuals who fail. What then? Beyond the theory and slogan stage what happens to a developed society with millions starving or potentially starving and a debt level unable to take on more? Won't the world just love us then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:21 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The average person doesn't make enough money to save any type of significant amount for retirment.
many could have done something about that the same as many riright here in this forum did who started with nothing..

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am always in awe of the many respondents in public forums who have the skill to determine who is average based on seeing them.
Yes, and it is quite remarkable that these "instinctual averages" always seem to magically support the bias the respondent prefers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
However I also know that when many see me in it they probably consider me as over spending beyond my means based on their mental perceptions while others who might know me or have a different mindset think otherwise.
Perceptions are a big part of it, but also values. Some of these discussions degrade into people presuming to judge poor people based on irrationally dehumanizing criteria - the hubris sometimes goes that deep. No one favors poor people spending what little money they have on inescapably frivolous things, but some people assume, out of arrogance or abject, self-centered mean-spiritedness, that whatever poor people spend money on must naturally be frivolous - that poor people shouldn't live as humans but rather should crawl into a box, a very small box, deny their culture, deny their humanity - all just to rationalize a specific political bias. People can of course advocate for whichever political perspective they prefer, but the trash talking about those most vulnerable in society has no redeeming value - is worthy of nothing other than condemnation.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:51 AM

you are getting to deep into this. the question is how do folks retire who can't save---answer -they can''t retire with out money to live on . if they need more of an answer or consoling than that then they are in the wrong forum and i suggest they try the doctor phil forum.

it is a simple question.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm referring to people who didn't save for retirement because they earned $8 per hour, not because they blew their $20/hr wage on flat screen TVs and new cars. I'm referring to people who don't have a reverse mortgage because they never earned enough to qualify for a mortgage.
Those two scenarios are the same. Someone chose to live a lives that way.

Remember, you and I had identical opportunity (except for the fact that you actually have a degree and are a man), but you've chosen to remain earning $8 an hour for 30 years, while I have not. Now, I know you have a million excuses why you were "forced" to stay in a crappy job, but everyone has a million excuses. It's just that some of us refuse to let those excuses rule us.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 AM

664 posts, read 807,299 times
Quote:
you will always have those who will find a way while others in their situation will find an excuse. I am still friends with some of my project buddies and they chose the excuse route.
How very condescendingly elitist of you.

You're all heart.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM

call it what you want . i saw first hand how they always took the easy way out . i have zero heart for those who commit their own financial suicide when they could have had options in their lives.

elitist ? I like that .. if my parents were alive they would have been so proud their little project kid made it be called elitist. I love it!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The average person doesn't make enough money to save any type of significant amount for retirment.
If you exclude those without full-time work, they do - the median is $40k for an individual and the mean is higher than the median. Save for retirement first, then make do with what is left over, not the other way around, and based on what you have left, don't get into housing, cars, or kids you can't afford!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
call it what you want . i saw first hand how they always took the easy way out .
What is it about you that makes you so attractive to that specific set of "they" that match your reckless aspersions. I'm being facetious of course, to make a point that inserting your own personal impressions of your own biased sample, is ridiculous. First: There is the two layers of bias inherent in your claims. Second: Your claim is categorical and therefore denying the reality that there are people in the population we're talking about for whom your characterization is wrong.

Quote:
i have zero heart for those who commit their own financial suicide when they could have had options in their lives.
First: You will never be in a position to know whether everyone in unfortunate circumstances had the options in their lives that you contend. Second: Saying you have "zero heart" just confirms that you are addressing a human issue from a perspective devoid of humanity.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 AM

i am referring to those i do know above. nothing reckless about training for a new field. they very well could have gone to apex with me. they didn't want to work at it.

you defending everyone isn't calling it correct either . i would bet there are far less true sad situations out there then self inflicted ones.

you chastizing everyone who has an opposing view to yours is nonsense..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance