Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
You did a lot of spin -- but I notice you never said that what I said isn't true.

And?......that has nothing to do with anything I said.
You mentioned multi-millionaire Chris Reeves receiving special care because of his money. Bill Gates may extend his life a few more years than Joe Blow, but he is going to die. Look at Steve Jobs - all the money in the world, but he died at 56 yrs old. It happened to Farrah and Patrick Swayze too.

We should all prepare for the unexpected, but 99% of us have to do practical planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
if you have an answer for everything anyone brings up and you are so hell bent on not working why did you even start this thread.

seems to us you are already believing your own bull-sh*t so fully that the question becomes why are we discussing this?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You mentioned multi-millionaire Chris Reeves receiving special care because of his money. Bill Gates may extend his life a few more years than Joe Blow, but he is going to die. Look at Steve Jobs - all the money in the world, but he died at 56 yrs old. It happened to Farrah and Patrick Swayze too.

We should all prepare for the unexpected, but 99% of us have to do practical planning.
Where the hell have I been? I didn't know Farrah Fawcett died.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, here's one I've already been through in life. A bad car accident. Your car is totaled. You are injured. You rack up serious medical bills, you have to get a new car but of course, you don't get back what you put in, you only get the value of the car at that point in time, and it takes three years for arbitration to settle before you see a dime from the settlement on the accident that was not your fault.

If you are working for that 20k, (since you refuse to reveal what you do to get it, no one knows how to follow in your footsteps so they are going to have to work for their 20k....but if you're injured, you lose time off from work...yah, sure, you can get PIP...see what I said earlier about three years for settlement), how are you going to maintain your lifestyle?
The best way I know to handle this is by having medical insurance.

If I come out alive and functioning, I will thank God even if it takes my last dollar.

I will then worry about getting something for the car. I could buy a cheap car until the situation gets settled.

Hopefully, with the combination of good health/car insurance and cash reserves - I will make it though a situation like this.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
i bet it was from having that staple in her navel like the penthouse pets. ha ha ha

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Your initial post said hate to burst your bubble, about "living the good life on $20k/year" but that's a small house.
Really? 1000 SF is small for how many people? For 2-3 it is perfect IMO.

The average rowhome in Philly is probably less than 1000 Square Feet. The average apartment in NYC is probably less than half that. In my 1000 sf home I have a front porch, small front yard and back yard-living room, dining room and kitchen on first floor-3 bedrooms upstairs with a full bathroom and a basement with a half bathroom. Down the line I could always put on a roof deck and finish the basement for more living space if it is needed.

My sister and I live here very comfortably and I have rented out the third bedroom in the past although it is a really cool music room at the moment and I have no intention in changing it now.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 AM

it still is a small home. typical home today is about 2500 sq ft. it is just that is what is typical in your area but that is because that area contains small homes

Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you have an answer for everything anyone brings up and you are so hell bent on not working why did you even start this thread.

seems to us you are already believing your own bull-sh*t so fully that the question becomes why are we discussing this?
Don't you think it's a good idea to take an extreme decision (retire in 20s???) and let 40 or 50 smart people try to poke holes in your logic?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
Quote:
You have been on CD like the rest of us.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it still is a small home. typical home today is about 2500 sq ft. it is just that is what is typical in your area but that is because that area contains small homes
Small, large, medium - it's all relative. I could probably live the rest of my life in this house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance