Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,856 times

Advertisements

But we're not talking about house size in Africa, are we? Or comparing house sizing in Asia or Europe.
You tangent is in no way relevant to the conversation and point that your house size is small by U.S. numbers.

Lot's of people proudly own up to their houses are small -- and prefer it. Why can't you? It's quite simple really. No need to even get into it's bigger than houses elsewhere -- who cares about that. The issue is the size of houses in the U.S.

OMG, Mathjak, pray for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
But we're not talking about house size in Africa, are we? Or comparing house sizing in Asia or Europe.
You tangent is in no way relevant to the conversation and point that your house size is small by U.S. numbers.

Lot's of people proudly own up to their houses are small -- and prefer it. Why can't you? It's quite simple really. No need to even get into it's bigger than houses elsewhere -- who cares about that. The issue is the size of houses in the U.S.

Oh good googly moogly - I'm in no way ashamed or less proud of my home because of its size.

It's diminutive size is one of the first things I mentioned in the OP!

Like I said, my GF is interested in the tiny house movement and so am I. I believe 500 sq ft would be just fine for a couple like us.

If we are having a discussion about wants and needs a broader look at how humans around the world view these things is certainly relevant to this conversation.

Sometimes when looking at wants and needs one has to look outside of culturally accepted norms. Is the average person in the UK happy with their 800 sq ft flat? Why can't I have that same satisfaction in a 800 sq ft home in America? Is it because my friends would look down on me? Is it because I use material possessions as status symbols? Is it because I simply like having more stuff than they do?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't consider 50-60 hours extreme AT ALL - especially for many higher paying salary based jobs.

- Wake up 1.5 hrs before work to shower, eat breakfast and allow 45 min to drive to work
- On the clock 45 hours
- 45 min drive home

That's a 56.25 hour work week.

And that's assuming all work related actions and thoughts cease to exist when you walk in the door. Do you need a hour nap everyday after work? Do you worry about anything at work when you get home? Do you have enough time to get everything done allowing for 8-9 hrs sleep and the ability to feel refreshed when you wake up? Do you spend time dreading going back to work? Do you have any aches and pains related to work? Wrist pain, headaches, lower back pain, neck pain?
Listen, if you don't need a lot of money and can live on a low income, that's fine. But believe it or not, there are lots of people who actually enjoy their jobs. I'm retiring a few years early starting tomorrow. But I've loved my jobs as an entomologist and as a science writer and editor. I've gotten to work at two of the best museums in the United States, and gotten paid to do field work for months at a time in amazing places in Central and South America and Africa. I lived 5 or 10 minutes away from my jobs, so my commute was nothing. I walked or biked to two of my jobs. My colleagues were interesting people who taught me a lot. I made enough money to save and invest - I'm not much of a consumer at all, so I socked a lot away. In that sense I relate to much of what you're saying. Not needing so much stuff to impress people is a gift, I think. It's very freeing.

My brother is finally retiring in three weeks at age 67. His wife and I had to really work to get him to retire. He loves his job. He likes the routine, likes the engineering project he works on, and like me, found his workplace a stimulating place to spend 8 hours a day. But we finally convinced him that he should enjoy time off while he's still healthy enough to travel and do things he might not be fit for in 5 or 10 years. So, he made the decision and is looking forward to it.

I feel for people who have crummy jobs or problems at work, and I can understand the desire to be free of it, but in my experience, a lot of highly-educated scientists, medical researchers, and engineers have a real passion for their work and get many benefits from it besides a paycheck. But if you don't, and you don't need the money, live the way you want.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The problem is for everyone who died pre-retirement 50 others are either having tough retirements or failed retirements because they were poorly planned or poorly funded.
Yes, I'm not saying make plans around the fear of being one of those ~15% that die before retirement age - just establishing that the chance exist....just as you and others want to establish the risk of some major event wiping out large sums of money.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Listen, if you don't need a lot of money and can live on a low income, that's fine. But believe it or not, there are lots of people who actually enjoy their jobs. I'm retiring a few years early starting tomorrow. But I've loved my jobs as an entomologist and as a science writer and editor.
I agree. You are lucky to have been among the ~10% that love their job.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 AM

181 posts, read 319,666 times
Eddie Haskell,

I have a question: How are you making that $20k a year if you don't like working?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:

i gave up, i am done posting. opinions were given and now this thread has out lived its usefulness.

the op has an answer for everything even if he is wrong in alot of things.

there really isn't much reason to respond at this point. in fact i have no idea why the op even bothered to post and ask when he just fights all the answers he doesn't like.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:30 AM

693 posts, read 1,139,073 times
$20k a year willingly, I think I made that much as a teenager in the 80's working two jobs, paper route and miniature golf attendant.

I would equate the idea of subscribing to $20k a year in my 20s for the rest of my life as an eternal Novocaine drip to the brain. All my experiences in life would not have happened had I not worked hard to experience them, screw that.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,204,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I did give some thought to this. Dental insurance is about $50/month. However, have you ever looked into what dental stuff cost in other countries? Costa Rican dentist and the like often do the same procedures for 30% of what it cost here.
I recently had my bubble popped when I purchased dental insurance through my health insurance company. It was an HMO. I had visions of getting my much needed dental work done at a reasonable cost.

The dentists on my plan got VERY poor reviews. That was a shocker to me. Since I want to keep my teeth, cancelled the dental insurance. Decided it would be better to fork over the extra dough and go to a real dentist with a stellar reputation. Many dentists do NOT accept any dental insurance at all. They will, however, put you on a plan with a fair sized discount...say 20%. I haven't been sorry. But...in the past 6 months have spent $2800 for an implant + extraction, and another $2000 for the initial exam + xrays, deep cleaning of each quadrant, and a huge white filling in a molar (forget what they're called). There is still more work to be done. But am budgeting for it and working it all in.

My dentist also teaches at a dental school. My family doctor uses her. I had a tooth that practically fell out due to an old filling + decay. She worked me in, and did this filling in 30 minutes flat. I was amazed because am used to 1 to 2 hour appointments. She really knew what she was doing and worked quickly.

Anyway...haven't had very good luck with dental insurance. Rather than paying for the majority of the fees, it pays a small percentage. Basically, I think it borders on being a scam. Find a <<good>> dentist who will work with you to give you a discounted plan through their office and pay cash for everything so you don't add credit card interest and fees on top of the dental fees.a couple months. But most expect payment at time of service. Some will let you pay off any larger fees within a couple months. And brush and floss every single day, maybe 2-3 times a day. Keep those pearly whites in good condition!

P.S. If you are fortunate to have some of the better dental insurance attached to your employer's health insurance plan, you may possibly save a little money by using the dental insurance. That is IF your dentist even takes private dental insurance. But if you go out and buy some on your own, expect the plan to be substandard. This has been my personal experience over the past 25 years.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times
Quote:
Your initial post said hate to burst your bubble, about "living the good life on $20k/year" but that's a small house.
If he were in Canada, a 1000 sq. foot bungalow would translate into a 2000 sq. foot house when you factor in the basement. I wouldn't call that small, but there is no way you'd ever be able to afford one on $20,000 a year, unless you really don't care about the condition or crime rate of the neighborhood you live in. Besides that, you have the down payment and closing costs to worry about which could easily add up to 6 months of your annual $20,000 salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance