Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,613 times

Advertisements

DO YOU mean bankrupt america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm reading a lot of horror stories about Bank of America on this forum. I'm a Wachovia employee (turned down by B of A) and it is really interesting to read these. Just share here about your B of A horror story and to keep this fair share any Wachovia horror stories.
This forum attacts a disproportionate number of financially and economically uneducated haters of capitalism. So, basically....they hate your company too...and any other company that makes a profit. Just don't ask them to explain themselves....they get touchy if you do and will not be able to articulate even basic concepts like supply and demand.

P.S. Some of it is just blind partisan politics too. If Hillary was involved....or oil companies....blah blah blah the brains have long since shut off.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,255 times
I wont call mine a horror story, but when I paid off my mortgage with B of A last year I called and asked when I would be gettin my excess escrow back and I was told my escrow was short and I owed them and they would be in touch later. I had figured I had over a 1,000 dollars coming back...turns out they did owe me and it was around 1,100 dollars...I still don't know how the lady got that I owed them

Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
BOA seems to be just like any other bank however I have horror stories with them going back to when they were NationsBank. They would lose my deposits & then I would personally have to go to the bank with deposit reciept in hand to rectify the situation and then the ensuing chaos with people I issued those "bounced" checks to. This happened in excess of 20 times to me.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
BOA seems to be just like any other bank however I have horror stories with them going back to when they were NationsBank. They would lose my deposits & then I would personally have to go to the bank with deposit reciept in hand to rectify the situation and then the ensuing chaos with people I issued those "bounced" checks to. This happened in excess of 20 times to me.
Oh, forgot to say something else positive about good ol' B of A. I like the new ATMs scanning the checks without the need to put them in envelopes. Granted, last time felt a bit uneasy when the machine was thinking for a few seconds whether to maybe chew up the check... Not sure if it spits it out if it believes it's wrinkled like the dollar bills in the vending machines...

That mess with the MBNA credit cards online in My Portfolio, though, as well as the regular B of A credit cards they decided to change the numbers on at the time of the last renewal, won't be solved any time soon. Oh, well... it's not that big of a deal, but it skews the data in the new Budgeting tool, which is nice otherwise. It seems to be a problem only for people who have both cards apparently.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 PM

38,868 posts, read 22,854,503 times
Default Wachovia rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm reading a lot of horror stories about Bank of America on this forum. I'm a Wachovia employee (turned down by B of A) and it is really interesting to read these. Just share here about your B of A horror story and to keep this fair share any Wachovia horror stories.
My mom banks at Bank of America and has for as long as I can remember. She has never had any problems with them and at this point, doesn't see the need to switch. The extent of her banking is using the ATM to make deposits and withdrawals, never setting foot inside the bank building itself.

A new Wachovia bank branch just opened down the street from my home. Wachovia also recently took over all the World Savings banks both here in California and across the country. I had read in Consumer Reports magazine that they were highly-rated for customer satisfaction. However, if you go to the link below from epinions.com, you'll read A LOT of reviews from unhappy customers of Wachovia:

http://www.epinions.com/finc-Financial_Services-Online-Banks-Wachovia/display_~reviews

I guess it's really true that they charge you if you go into the branch or speak to a live person on the phone more than twice in one month? Never heard of that business practice before!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,133 times
I was a customer of BofA back in the 80's. I was doing well (before the divorce) and they had a private banker for me and extended a 25k unsecured revolving line of credit, which, back in those days was a pretty big deal..

After things went bad for me, they did nothing. I was asked by my private banker to come in so they could help and they did nothing.

Years later after all was squared away, I ran into a new branch manager in my new neighborhood. She asked me to come in and discuss expanding our banking relationship with me. I told her about my bad experience and she assured me that that was the past and that BofA was different from before. I went in and again she said they could not do anything for me. Fool me once...Shame on BofA, Fool me twice...Shame on me

Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I guess it's really true that they charge you if you go into the branch or speak to a live person on the phone more than twice in one month? Never heard of that business practice before!
I don't think so. I go into the bank at least twice a month or use the drive-through counter to make deposits and when I have questions about my account. I have never been assessed a surcharge. I started out with their free checking and when I started maintaining more of a balance, the drive-through counter lady sold me on changing accounts to an interest bearing one.

I can't say I'm terribly pleased with their services, but they do have a lot of locations here in NC which makes them very convenient.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM

38,868 posts, read 22,854,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I don't think so. I go into the bank at least twice a month or use the drive-through counter to make deposits and when I have questions about my account. I have never been assessed a surcharge. I started out with their free checking and when I started maintaining more of a balance, the drive-through counter lady sold me on changing accounts to an interest bearing one.

I can't say I'm terribly pleased with their services, but they do have a lot of locations here in NC which makes them very convenient.
Maybe it depends on the type of account you have with Wachovia. On the epinions.com website, there were reports submitted by people who started with the student accounts at Wachovia, where there those kind of restrictions. I was getting ready to sign up for a free checking account online, and when I read the LONG disclosure statement, I'm sure I saw wording to the effect that if you exceed more than two visits to the branch or two live person contacts via phone, then they charge $2.00 for each incident after the two free allotted contacts. Perhaps your interest-bearing account allows more than two free in-person contacts with the branch?

It would make sense that there are a lot of Wachovia bank branches there in North Carolina, since the bank is headquartered there, as is Bank of America.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
Just in the last 6 months I had big problems with my dad's accounts at BOA. Twice in 1 month BOA customer service keyed in the wrong amount from his checks (both over the amount). It took several visits and phone calls to get it straightened out.

Around the same time I went in to discuss his Money Market account to see if there was a way to make it earn more interest. The lady printed out a sheet with the different types of accounts on it and sent me on my way. I realize that was 1 person who was rude, but when you are talking about 30k I was insulted that they could have cared less about our business.

The real kicker came recently when I went in to transfer some money around for my dad between his money market and savings accts (I am on all his accts). Apparently someone changed his money market acct to allow me access ONLY when he died. No explaination whatsoever - they even saw all the transactions that I had quoted that were made by me over the years. Dad lives in another city and I have to get him and we BOTH have to go the bank to correct their mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance