Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"Living wage" is for each person to define, and for each person to figure out how to earn. It should not a prize for breathing, but rather a sign that one has been successful in being sufficiently useful to the rest of society.

"Livable housing" is for each person to define. Why do conservatives impose middle class housing standards on low-wage workers whether or not low-wage workers can afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Legalized bribes? You mean unions supporting politicians too? This has been discussed numerous times.

Wage is a result of market supply and demand.

And suckers keep adding new workers from the third world, as if offshoring there isn't enough. Do they get the consequences?

Several years ago my employer made $3 million profit with a payroll of $500K and the highest paid non-management worker paid 25 cents above minimum wage.

Productivity sets a ceiling for wages, not a floor and not even a benchmark.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"Living wage" is for each person to define, and for each person to figure out how to earn. It should not a prize for breathing, but rather a sign that one has been successful in being sufficiently useful to the rest of society.

No one said people were getting a living wage for breathing they are getting a living wage for working. We do not live in a me for me society we live in a society where we look out for each other. That does not mean people should not do nothing but this stupid idea that Conservatives have that everyone needs to look out for themselves is false and not what our society is about if you want that go to a third world country. People have value even if they do not do anything because they are people if you do not believe this then you are just saying those people are just like slaves having no value.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:33 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
This site shows the income needed to reach a living wage status in every county/state in the U.S., given family size and composition. I've found it to be fairly accurate in general terms, although of course individual situations will vary somewhat.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator
That calculator appears short by at least 50%, at least where I live.
Transportation costs are probably less than half of what they really are.
Healthcare costs are probably 1/4 of what they are in reality.
Miscellaneous costs are no where near where they should be.
Clothing?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:49 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
This site shows the income needed to reach a living wage status in every county/state in the U.S., given family size and composition. I've found it to be fairly accurate in general terms, although of course individual situations will vary somewhat.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator
Thanks for the link. Family/household size and location are the most important considerations and that site shows the huge differences.

I checked the cities we have lived in and it looks like data is correct.

Because of the vast differences, I don't think you can name a "living wage." I think as you move through life, you will/should adjust your spending and lifestyle choices to your current wage.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Basic necessities to continue standard work week regiment: food, water, shelter, transportation, health care (maybe some opportunities for continued education or skills advancement)

It doesn't include additional income for

recreation activities
entertainment (cable, TV)
internet access
contribution to savings
contribution to retirement
new vehicle
child care costs
etc..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
That calculator appears short by at least 50%, at least where I live.
Transportation costs are probably less than half of what they really are.
Healthcare costs are probably 1/4 of what they are in reality.
Miscellaneous costs are no where near where they should be.
Clothing?
Yes, ours is also about 1/4-1/3 of reality, this thing is way off.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
That's not the system that we have now, though.
The system we have now is that people are compensated based upon the least amount of money that companies can get away with paying them.

That's why you see deplorable situations such as employees making a million dollars for the company- PROFIT- and only being compensated with 50k.

What kind of power do you think that millions upon millions of dollars of exploited labor generates in a society that allows corporate welfare and legalized bribes?
A wage of 50k is now a deplorable situation?

The system we have now has afforded its people the best, easiest, and most luxurious existence in the history of mankind. Nobody in this country starves to death. Nobody in this country is denied shelter. We have every convenience known to mankind, and the leisure time to enjoy them.

A deplorable situation is what you communists are proposing. Seizing assets from businesses, out of pure envy and misguided sympathy, and giving all the power to the government. If you want to look at what life would be like under those conditions, just take a peek at North Korea.

News flash - the reason that employer is able to "get away" with paying the least amount is a combination of demand and skill (or lack of) that the job demands. Want more compensation? Increase your skill set to include something more than punching a button on a screen and handing the customer a bag of food. Those evil corporations have figured out how to do that. Chances are, that evil corporation is the one that developed, designed and manufactured that touch screen that is putting you out of a job. For a - gasp - PROFIT.

I love how lefties begrudge employers that evil PROFIT, yet are demanding higher wages, which are really just PROFIT. How come profit is good for them, but evil for employers?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
No one said people were getting a living wage for breathing they are getting a living wage for working. We do not live in a me for me society we live in a society where we look out for each other. That does not mean people should not do nothing but this stupid idea that Conservatives have that everyone needs to look out for themselves is false and not what our society is about if you want that go to a third world country. People have value even if they do not do anything because they are people if you do not believe this then you are just saying those people are just like slaves having no value.
No, stupid (and immoral) is expecting ME to support YOU.

Everybody works. But to demand that someone that works at a job that doesn't pay well gets to steal my money is wrong.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there is no such thing as a living wage, that is a catch all phase that was invented by the liberal side of society, to have something to complain about. the only thing an employer owes you is pay for what you agreed on and a safe place to work. He doesn't owe you benefits, vacation time , overtime hours, just pay for hours work.

you want a better living standard, then that will be education. job skill, job risk.

Okay, fair enough. So, what's YOUR level of education, seeing as you're such a big proponent of education? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance