Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times

Advertisements

I'll have some money set aside for my sister if she doesn't go before me...otherwise I plan to spend as much as possible down to that amount! I want to enjoy my retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
If you are an older person with some accumulated wealth but no kids in the horizon nor a life long partner, what do you plan to do with your assets when you die? Charity? Family members?
Both of course, including friends, nieces/nephews, non-profit orgs, etc. Not having kids is no big deal.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'm going to buy small pieces of land scattered all over the country, and stash it in 10-15 different investment accounts so no one can track it all down.
I don't understand this. You'll be dead. Why make it more dificult to track down your assets?

Me-some to a friend, most of it to 2 local charities (library and animal rescue).
My retirement fund to a cancer hospital.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
unless I get kids, mine would just go to the state, I don't really mind it going back to them since they will have provided me a good life with pension checks every month and a stable country to live in.

but that's decades away so anything can change.

why do you think it is bad to just return money to the government? At least they help a lot more people than targeted audiences like a charity
You are beyond funny! Sad thing is, I think you really mean this.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
We have a very detailed trust designed to keep our families from touching a single penny. I only have one living relative and he's not worth a second thought. We have several children in our life and some very close friends as well as the humane society as beneficiaries of the trust. The trust includes several pieces of expensive jewelry that goes to treasured friends. There are provisions for our animals as well. Best case scenario: The last one of us dies with ten cents in the bank at a very ripe old age. Worst case scenario: The plane goes down, hopefully after we've just had a fabulous trip. I don't want my dieing thought to be about people enjoying what we worked so hard for that we want nothing to do with. I'll die with a smile on my face about that. They're not touching a dime.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
You are beyond funny! Sad thing is, I think you really mean this.
The government does much more for the needy as a group than private charities do. Many private charities receive significant support from government in any case and wish they received more. The problem here is that being a national government and all, there is no necessary connection between receipts and outlays. With private charities, you can be sure that a bequest will acrually be used to further the causes that they represent.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times
I hope to spend most of my money for MY enjoyment in my retirement. Otherwise siblings, nieces and nephews. A cousin of my spouse is an estate and trust attorney, so we've everything in writing, including various possible scenarios, secondary executors and powers of attorney. Anyone who thinks this is unnecessary is foolish. ALWAYS consult a lawyer who specializes in this area, and have things checked every few years or so to see if it needs updating. Why leave a mess for those you love? Why leave things set up or not set up so they might not go where you wanted?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,423,528 times
I plan to leave some of it to a young woman I barely know . She reminds me of myself at her age. It's kind of skeevy that I had to keep track of where she is so I could make sure it goes to the right person as hers is a common name. In her case the Internet is definitely her friend.

The rest to charities that promote veganism and animal interests, and also charities promoting literacy.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Would never leave it to family, they have enough and are incredibly greedy... except my mother. I plan to leave it to animal organizations.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:36 AM

276 posts, read 338,491 times
I'd consider leaving it to a disabled veteran who's 100% disabled. These guys volunteered to fight for their country and its people and way of life; then lost everything. They have little or no chance to acquire any wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance